Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Lopez had no reason to complain (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449628)

Dave Mc 01-02-2013 07:03 AM

Lopez had no reason to complain

Lopez was up a break in first set against Kubot, then gets his second time violation of the match, then complains to the umpire and director for a few minutes, then goes on to lose his serve, the momentum, the set, and the match.

I think Lopez had no reason to complain. In the time allotted between points, there really is only adequate time for 2 habits, not 3. For example, if you want time to 1) towel off and 2) fix your hair, then there is probably not enough time to also 3) pick underwear from your butt. =-)

Even after being warned once earlier, Lopez chose to 1) walk in slow motion, 2) examine all 6 balls, and 3) bounce a ball several times. I think that players should stop thinking that they are entitled to all the habits they want. I also think they should stop thinking that bouncing a ball is part of the service motion.

In fact, I think they should impose some kind of limit on errant tosses. Maybe allow only one per set, then subject any subsequent errant tosses to the given time constraint?

reaper 01-02-2013 07:14 AM

I hope the officials continue the clampdown on time wasting between points.

norbac 01-02-2013 07:20 AM

Can't wait to have Nadal back.

vandre 01-02-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mc (Post 7092357)
I think they should impose some kind of limit on errant tosses. Maybe allow only one per set, then subject any subsequent errant tosses to the given time constraint?

you do realize this rule alone would lead to dq-ing half the ladies' draw, right? :twisted:

2 days into the new season and we've already had our first "spanking" under the new rule. i wonder how many it's gonna take before it sinks in, especially since it didn't seem to hurry lopez up at all? personally, i feel like it's gonna take a penalty against one of the "big guys" before the players are put on notice. it may take a couple even.

pringles 01-02-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 7092392)

You can say that again. Probably one of the reasons why Nadal hasn't come back yet. He want's the new rule to slowly die down before he returns and continues with his time wasting routine.

tacou 01-02-2013 08:00 AM

he was up 2 breaks! abysmal way to start a season.

I don't like OP idea about errant tosses but do hope they keeping enforcing this rule. Monfils acted the same way today, claiming he "had the right" to towel off after every point. sure you do, so long as it doesn't take 26 seconds!

Clarky21 01-02-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pringles (Post 7092473)
You can say that again. Probably one of the reasons why Nadal hasn't come back yet. He want's the new rule to slowly die down before he returns and continues with his time wasting routine.

Pathetic and dumb post is pathetic and dumb.

wintintu 01-02-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mc (Post 7092357)
Lopez was up a break in first set against Kubot, then gets his second time violation of the match, then complains to the umpire and director for a few minutes, then goes on to lose his serve, the momentum, the set, and the match.

I think Lopez had no reason to complain. In the time allotted between points, there really is only adequate time for 2 habits, not 3. For example, if you want time to 1) towel off and 2) fix your hair, then there is probably not enough time to also 3) pick underwear from your butt. =-)

Even after being warned once earlier, Lopez chose to 1) walk in slow motion, 2) examine all 6 balls, and 3) bounce a ball several times. I think that players should stop thinking that they are entitled to all the habits they want. I also think they should stop thinking that bouncing a ball is part of the service motion.

In fact, I think they should impose some kind of limit on errant tosses. Maybe allow only one per set, then subject any subsequent errant tosses to the given time constraint?

Good post, I don't agree about the errant tosses but I agree with the idiotic timewasting habits. I used to be so annoyed by roddick picking his *** flicking his you know what fixing his cap pulling his tshirt from his shoulder and towelling off between every single point

JLyon 01-02-2013 11:59 AM

The umpire for the match clearly told the players 25 seconds between points and 30 seconds after changeover/set break (happened to be watching the coin toss live on TV).
Good for the official, now enforce it fairly on everyone.

Ellipses 01-02-2013 12:11 PM

It's just the first few matches/tournaments, so adaptation will be slow. Hopefully in a few weeks (or maybe even months), players will have adjusted.

dhdriver 01-02-2013 12:17 PM

I was watching the beginning of the Ferrer-Kamke match and the umpire even said they he will strictly enforce the time rule. No violations yet, especially for Ferrer who is someone that sweats up a storm.

stringertom 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7092552)
Pathetic and dumb post is pathetic and dumb.

Code violation: redundacy.

roundiesee 01-03-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 7092392)

Ha ha, too funny, :)

ruerooo 01-05-2013 05:56 PM

Can't wait to have Novak fans -- who tend to also be Rafa-haters -- realize that Rafa isn't the only one potentially affected by this rule.

(Hint: bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce ...)

Andy M. got a violation the other day ... for stretching.

It's going to get more and more ridiculous.