Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mid-sized racket for 16yo? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449683)

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-02-2013 01:14 PM

Mid-sized racket for 16yo?

Hey!
I'm almost 17 and have been playing tennis for 4 years now (3 years in competition), for the last 2 years I have used the head speed mp 16/19 but now I am looking for a new racket. Next week I am supposed to be getting the new blade 98 18/20 but looking at the 93 version it just looks like a better racket for a player like me who wants the most control possible. Problem is I have never used a racket under 100 sq. inch and over 325 grams.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, appreciate it.

MikeHitsHard93 01-02-2013 01:17 PM

Demo it before you make any purchase. That's my advice.

dyldore 01-02-2013 01:17 PM

If you can, demo them and see which one you like more. You can speculate all you want but it comes down to which one feels better when you actually use it.

MikeHitsHard93 01-02-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyldore (Post 7093180)
If you can, demo them and see which one you like more. You can speculate all you want but it comes down to which one feels better when you actually use it.

Yup it makes a big difference coming from 100 to 93 when your reaching for shots or hitting volleys

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-02-2013 01:25 PM

I'd recommend you to try other frames as well if you want "the most control possible":

Dunlop 100g series (whatever the current model is)
Head Prestige Mid (whatever the current model is)
Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 85
Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 90 BLX
Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid

Don't worry about the weight of these frames. They should be like feather to you, or you can easily build up the strength to handle these frames.

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-02-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks, that's why 98 seems like the better option and then I can gradually move on down from there. 7 sq. inch seems like too big a jump. Anyone here used the new blade 98? Looks like a much better upgrade from the speed mp, anyone else used it?

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-02-2013 01:29 PM

Thanks Sin Lo, although I was pretty vague with the description. I am all about control but little power/spin doesn't hurt eh? Looking around the blade 98 seems like a really good all round racket, also it's wilson..they're pretty good right?

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-02-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFieryFurnace2012 (Post 7093206)
Thanks Sin Lo, although I was pretty vague with the description. I am all about control but little power/spin doesn't hurt eh? Looking around the blade 98 seems like a really good all round racket, also it's wilson..they're pretty good right?

Well, just because it's a Wilson, doesn't mean it's a great frame. As a matter of fact, there isn't a single "great" frame out there. There are however, frames that are "more suitable" for so and so player. So it's up to you to see which frames will work with you.

If you hit the sweetspot consistently on a small demanding frame like the Prestige Mid (actually a ~89sq in frame) and the Pro Staff, there's plenty of power!

db10s 01-02-2013 01:34 PM

Use a 95. Any of the Dunlop 200s.

Or if you are set on a true mid, the Dunlop 100

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-02-2013 01:41 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for the perfect racket (like it exists) but the 98 will be a pretty big improvement from a speed mp

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-02-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFieryFurnace2012 (Post 7093231)
Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for the perfect racket (like it exists) but the 98 will be a pretty big improvement from a speed mp

Try it out, but I encourage you to try out some of the true midsize frames too. You might like them.

I made the switch to a midsize (i.Prestige Mid) when I was 17 and have never looked back. :)

Within a 2 year span from 15-17yrs old, I went from a Prince Precision Response Ti. -> Dunlop Hotmelt 200g -> i.Prestige Mid.

All 12oz+, I just enjoyed the smaller headsize more and more.

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-02-2013 01:53 PM

Awesome, thanks man. Will demo both next week!

xAceofSpadesx 01-02-2013 02:05 PM

I like my Head Prestige Youtek MP, but to each his own. I've always liked Heads over Wilsons and Babolats.

Word of advice: Try to demo as many variants as possible. Rackets play can play very differently depending on string, tension, and even grips. If you have a coach, he could probably assist you in demo-ing a wide variety of rackets.

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-02-2013 02:16 PM

Yeah i've played with a few prestiges, only for a knock, I liked them but the strings were dead so I couldn't judge it properly. I hate babolats, never work for me, and have used head rackets for years..just looking for something better haha

quest01 01-03-2013 03:35 AM

Yeah the Wilson blade 93 is a great racquet to try out. This is personally the racquet I use and it has a ton of control, probably the most control oriented racquet I've ever used. The blx 90 in my opinion had more power in comparison. You should definitely demo the 93, also the Darth Vader paint job is awesome.

max 01-03-2013 05:49 AM

I think you should toss in a few midsized ones, too, to demo.

I mean, honestly, if you can put the frame on the ball at 100 inches, the difference is just not worth talking about. . . or exaggerating. You can do it.

max 01-03-2013 05:50 AM

. . . isn't "The Fiery Furnace" one of those Lemony Snicket books?

Gee 01-03-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7094668)
I think you should toss in a few midsized ones, too, to demo.

I mean, honestly, if you can put the frame on the ball at 100 inches, the difference is just not worth talking about. . . or exaggerating. You can do it.

Going from a 100 sq inch frame to a midsize is a huge step in my opinion.

Simply rallying with a midsize frame is a whole other story than playing a match. You need to hit very cleanly with a midsize and that is much more difficult during a match. So it is important to demo racquets during matches as well.

I tell this from my own experience and I started with during the wooden era so I know how a 65 sq inch wooden frame plays. I think I wouldn't be able to play at the same level as with a 95" headsize. I was also intrigued by the feel of the Head Prestige Mid and I tried to switch several times but every time I noticed that it was just too small for my game. My slice serves and backhand were not as penetrating as with a 95" headsize. Volleys are a bit easier as well because of the more forgiveness of a MP.

So I would recommend the OP to switch to a smaller MP (95-98 inch headsize) first. When you feel that is still too big then you might take the step to a midsize. However don't make the mistake to listen to your ego that says something like to you: You should use a midsize then you're a great player!. Look at the ATP players. Most of them don't use a midsize but a headsize between 95-100" because they are able to play their best game with these ones. The racquet must complement your game!

sundaypunch 01-03-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee (Post 7094722)
Going from a 100 sq inch frame to a midsize is a huge step in my opinion.

Simply rallying with a midsize frame is a whole other story than playing a match. You need to hit very cleanly with a midsize and that is much more difficult during a match. So it is important to demo racquets during matches as well.

I tell this from my own experience and I started with during the wooden era so I know how a 65 sq inch wooden frame plays. I think I wouldn't be able to play at the same level as with a 95" headsize. I was also intrigued by the feel of the Head Prestige Mid and I tried to switch several times but every time I noticed that it was just too small for my game. My slice serves and backhand were not as penetrating as with a 95" headsize. Volleys are a bit easier as well because of the more forgiveness of a MP.

So I would recommend the OP to switch to a smaller MP (95-98 inch headsize) first. When you feel that is still too big then you might take the step to a midsize.

I think this is good advice. You will have an easier transition to a mid if you hit somewhat flatter. If you are playing a topspin based game from the baseline you will notice the lack of forgiveness more.

You can demo 4-racquets from TW for $20. If you can play at least a set or two with each you should have a good idea how they will work for you. If you try the Blade 98 and 93, you can also throw in a couple of 95's. A Prestige MP and Babolat Pure Storm LTD would be good choices.

TheFieryFurnace2012 01-03-2013 12:53 PM

Yeah I really want to try the 93 now but I live in the UK and there is only one shop around (under 5 miles) that lets you demo rackets. They won't have the 93 in for a while but they have the 98 in next week which I will demo straight away. Will inform all with results.
Thanks!