Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Serena "disrespectful" last night (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449749)

mbpga1222 01-03-2013 07:54 AM

Serena "disrespectful" last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtbnZ...e_gdata_player

Not sure if anyone started a thread on this yet, but looks like it got interesting between two friends last night....

woodrow1029 01-03-2013 08:06 AM

There are only 2 "COME ON's" in this video. One set up break point to serve out the first set, the second was after breaking to go up 5-3 in the second set.

It's true that Serena can go overboard with the "come on's", but in this video, those are 2 very legitimate times to get pumped up. What does Sloane think Serena should do? Does she think Serena should quietly say, "Yay, I won that point."?

Bad video. Definitely doesn't show anything over the top.

mbpga1222 01-03-2013 08:10 AM

Well I think the point of the video is to show Sloan mentioning it to her coach.

jokinla 01-03-2013 08:18 AM

She is disrespectful, nothing new.

Gonzalito17 01-03-2013 09:04 AM

THis shows how much SLoane threatened Serena here. Serena only shows this kind of fire and emotion when she is in danger. Big credit to Sloane for forcing Serena to the limits.

I don't find it "disrespectful" at all. Tennis at the highest most competitive levels, is a bloodbath. It's kill or be killed. Sloane has quite a future if she can keep building, learning and sharpening and refining her competitive intensity. In order to be the best you have to get blood on your hands. Serena has no problems with that aspect of tennis.

jones101 01-03-2013 09:39 AM

Sloane has already said that she was joking with her coach, Sloane has a funny sense of humour.

She and Serena are friendly and this is a non story really.

Beacon Hill 01-03-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7094897)
THis shows how much SLoane threatened Serena here. Serena only shows this kind of fire and emotion when she is in danger. Big credit to Sloane for forcing Serena to the limits.

I don't find it "disrespectful" at all. Tennis at the highest most competitive levels, is a bloodbath. It's kill or be killed. Sloane has quite a future if she can keep building, learning and sharpening and refining her competitive intensity. In order to be the best you have to get blood on your hands. Serena has no problems with that aspect of tennis.

Tennis is not a bloodbath. No one kills or is killed. No one has blood on one's hands. It's a game played by people fortunate enough not to be involved in actual wars.

SLD76 01-03-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beacon Hill (Post 7095108)
Tennis is not a bloodbath. No one kills or is killed. No one has blood on one's hands. It's a game played by people fortunate enough not to be involved in actual wars.

love is a battlefield.

Tanya 01-03-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones101 (Post 7094950)
Sloane has already said that she was joking with her coach, Sloane has a funny sense of humour.

She and Serena are friendly and this is a non story really.

Oh please that media cop-out was pure bs...

bluetrain4 01-03-2013 12:26 PM

I agree it's a complete non-story. Why is there anything disrespectful here? I know Serena has had her genuinely bad-behavior moments, but it just seems like people love to find anything to start a Serena-hate thread. Seriously, two "come ons" deserves a thread? How will the sport surivive after Serena's crazy, disrepectful, belligerent, obnoxious display vs. Sloane Stephens?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brian11785 01-03-2013 12:39 PM

I think her saying something to her coach is a little different than her saying it at a press conference.

Sloane has always come off as super classy, and maybe she is naive to expect the same in return from every opponent.

For the record, I think obnoxious is more precise a term for this than disrespectful. At least they came on Serena winners, not errors from Stephens.

Prisoner of Birth 01-03-2013 01:46 PM

I dislike everything about Serena but nothing wrong here. Every player has done this at some point.

marc45 01-03-2013 03:35 PM

don't like watching serena do this but she did sloane a favor here...showed her to her face what it's going to take to beat her, not just compete with her, but beat her...sloane was a little soft in the end...this is no joke, this is the ultimate test in women's tennis...we'll see if sloane learned her lesson next time and loses the comedy routine..her actual game isn't there yet either so you better at least be overwhelmingly strong mentally and emotionally...was impressed with a lot about her though

DRII 01-03-2013 04:09 PM

Most of you are making way too much out of what occurred. Sloane complaining does not means she's soft or not hungry enough! Calm down!

Sloane actually showed alot of potential...

mbpga1222 01-03-2013 05:50 PM

This wasn't intended to be a Serena hate thread in any way. I'm as big of a Serena fan as anyone in the world really. I've just never seen a player react to the all too common "come on!" before. Sloane was NOT joking either. Her reaction when she looked at her box was genuine when you could read her lips. I want to see these two battle it out in a major or two this year.

jaggy 01-03-2013 05:51 PM

Sloane looks good in pink

Bartelby 01-03-2013 06:00 PM

Just shows what a mistake it is to say anything with tv cameras rolling.

merwy 01-03-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 7095330)
I agree it's a complete non-story. Why is there anything disrespectful here? I know Serena has had her genuinely bad-behavior moments, but it just seems like people love to find anything to start a Serena-hate thread. Seriously, two "come ons" deserves a thread? How will the sport surivive after Serena's crazy, disrepectful, belligerent, obnoxious display vs. Sloane Stephens?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP didn't call Serena disrespectful (Sloane did) and almost everyone in this thread thinks that Serena did nothing wrong. The point of this thread is not to shame Serena but to show what has happened between these two players. Are you really that dense that I have to explain this to you?

flyinghippos101 01-03-2013 06:32 PM

Meh, all players do their celebrations when they win a big point. Sloane seems to be getting wrapped up about something fairly routine on the pro tour

On another note, the Brisbane camera angle is fantastic; you really get an idea of pace and spin

Mick 01-03-2013 06:36 PM

usually, it could be seen as disrespectful by some people when a younger player does something like that to an older and more established player. But Serena is the older and more established player, so I don't see anything wrong here :)