Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   another question, maybe best for the pro's (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449773)

High Rustler 01-03-2013 12:44 PM

another question, maybe best for the pro's

as a pro, do you prefer that a parent talk to you some before walking? I cipher this is an old issue and is extremely subjective.

We are very happy with our child's progression, but we are having difficulty with the pro offering times we can get our child to him. I'll often get a text message about a time being open, and if I dont' respond in 15m or so its already taken. We've been with this pro for a year or so and pay the bills on time - I cipher that as the buyer it's really hard to have any leverage in these things, and my intution is to just stop seeing that pro, Did it once before with older child after two years with a specific pro. Thoughts?

10ismom 01-03-2013 02:04 PM

If I understand your question right, I think you were trying to discuss something about your son/daughter with the teaching pro and he/she seems busy and not responsive.

I found that it is helpful to discuss about your child during the lesson time(that you are paying for). For a busy teaching pro, that is the way to go. The pro might not have time to talk with you because he/she has to teach student one after another. Email is also a good way of communication and ask specific questions especially if you are also busy.

Most pros will make an effort to discuss your child's tennis.

treeman10 01-03-2013 03:26 PM

Do you purchase lessons ahead of time and have a regular weekly schedule? Purchasing lessons in packages, say of 10 or 20 (versus one at a time) helps ensure a regular spot and guarantees it with most coaches. People that do lessons on demand or on a drop in basis are given way less priority than ones that have made an investment in the coach and his/her lessons. Coaches invest in players that invest in them.

Bash and Crash 01-03-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeman10 (Post 7095838)
Do you purchase lessons ahead of time and have a regular weekly schedule? Purchasing lessons in packages, say of 10 or 20 (versus one at a time) helps ensure a regular spot and guarantees it with most coaches. People that do lessons on demand or on a drop in basis are given way less priority than ones that have made an investment in the coach and his/her lessons. Coaches invest in players that invest in them.

True, if I have a student who wants lesson at 4pm on Tuesday for two hours that is their spot until they give it up. Now if they change it up our can only make it once a month or so, their spot may shift to what's available. I will also try to coordinate with other parents who may do every other week and have a day or so set aside to fit in other students with the same issue. But, the parent needs to be specific and honest with pro about time, availability issues.

Chemist 01-03-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Rustler (Post 7095500)
as a pro, do you prefer that a parent talk to you some before walking? I cipher this is an old issue and is extremely subjective.

We are very happy with our child's progression, but we are having difficulty with the pro offering times we can get our child to him. I'll often get a text message about a time being open, and if I dont' respond in 15m or so its already taken. We've been with this pro for a year or so and pay the bills on time - I cipher that as the buyer it's really hard to have any leverage in these things, and my intution is to just stop seeing that pro, Did it once before with older child after two years with a specific pro. Thoughts?

Looks like this coach is really good. Ask the coach if he can give your kid a weekly lesson on the same day and at the same time.

Soianka 01-03-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7096086)
Looks like this coach is really good. Ask the coach if he can give your kid a weekly lesson on the same day and at the same time.

Yes! We had a coach like that once, it was a real pain.

Ask him to get him to give you the lesson at the same time/day each week. Lock him in.

It's good for him and it's good for you.