Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New to stringing and machines: Advice needed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449810)

AlfaAce 01-03-2013 07:51 PM

New to stringing and machines: Advice needed

1. I'm thinking about buying a stringing machine (more so for myself than to string for others at this point).

2. Money is no object for a machine. I could buy anything from a Neos 1500 to a Baiardo. No need to be wasteful of $$$ though. Just want a quality machine that I'll be happy with for years. What would you recommend?

3. Learning... what's the best way to learn? Unfortunately I live pretty far away from any big cities or major tennis areas. So... USRSA? YouTube (links appreciated)? Books, videos???

Thanks in advance!

Lakers4Life 01-03-2013 08:07 PM

How Nor Cal are we talking about? Redding?

The more you spend the easier it is to string, or at least appreciate your machine when you try stringing on a lower machine. Baiardo is a great machine, but not the BEST machine, it's an ergonomically comfortable machine, but without those features, it's just a plain machine with decent clamps. Ease of use, a Babolat Star 5 or Prince 6000.

You could pay a USRSA MRT to teach you, but if you are adventurous like most of us here, you can easily learn to string. There are a ton on videos and resources on the internet on stringing. You can request instruction material from the USRSA, for free and not take be obligated to take the test. PM me and I'll send you a copy.

There is a sticky at the top of group, read through all of the links, to get yourself started.

Good Luck!

AlfaAce 01-03-2013 08:19 PM

Email sent.

kimguroo 01-04-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7096267)
1. I'm thinking about buying a stringing machine (more so for myself than to string for others at this point).

2. Money is no object for a machine. I could buy anything from a Neos 1500 to a Baiardo. No need to be wasteful of $$$ though. Just want a quality machine that I'll be happy with for years. What would you recommend?

3. Learning... what's the best way to learn? Unfortunately I live pretty far away from any big cities or major tennis areas. So... USRSA? YouTube (links appreciated)? Books, videos???

Thanks in advance!

If you can spend $$$, then go for high end machine and you won't search for the stringing machines ever again hahaha.
I also bought one of high end electronic machine for the first stringing machine and I don't regret my decision. (everything is just so smooth).
Also if you don't like string any more, usually stringing machines hold good resale values.

any machine with a good brake (for stringing prince O3 rackets), it will be okay to use it.

Topspin101 01-04-2013 07:03 AM

Klippermate and spend saved money on strings and accessories from them. Ask for Dave if you call.

Good Luck.

fortun8son 01-04-2013 11:21 AM

The new Alpha Ghost looks like a great combination of features and price.

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7097653)
The new Alpha Ghost looks like a great combination of features and price.

It looks like Baiardo without the Ergonomic bells and whistles. Alpha's electronic track record, has not been the best. Let's hope this is not just another lemon.

TennezSport 01-04-2013 11:59 AM

String - Tested......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7097681)
It looks like Baiardo without the Ergonomic bells and whistles. Alpha's electronic track record, has not been the best. Let's hope this is not just another lemon.

I actually had a chance to test Alpha's Phantom and Ghost machine last Oct, and both are well built and very accurate. There are some very good design aspects of the machines that are helpfull when stringing Prince port racquets. Also some nice options for stringing other racquet types like racquetball and badminton. Quality seemed as good as Prince or Gamma machines, plus the supprt team at Alpha is second to none.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 12:15 PM

The Alpha Odyssey and Equinox, were nice machines, but were hindered by thier faulty tensioners.

gmatheis 01-04-2013 05:09 PM

If money is no object I'd want a biardo or a star 5

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7098383)
If money is no object I'd want a biardo or a star 5

If Money were no Object, why settle for that. I'd be looking at a Sensor Expert, Yonex ES5Pro, or a Technifibre TF 8000/9000. Shoot for the stars!

Honorable mention, Xtreme Sports RX-V2, that just one sexy looking machine. Though it's probably the same manufacturer as a Victor.

Chotobaka 01-04-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7097795)
The Alpha Odyssey and Equinox, were nice machines, but were hindered by thier faulty tensioners.

Interesting and good to know, especially when dropping big bucks on a machine. I thought these were semi-clones of Japanese branded machines made in Taiwan. Surprised that they have warts. That is one reason I lean towards Gamma electronic models since they are exact, part for part re-branded Toalson machines -- which also share some DNA with other well know brands not sold in the USA.

Lakers4Life 01-04-2013 06:01 PM

The Odyssey, looked like a blue version of a Prince 6000. I guess the quality was not up to snuff, or they really did not have any buyers, since it was in the price range of a Star 5.

Babolat and Wilson have an advantage over the other brands, by giving shops promos to offset the price of the machine. One owner told me that Babolat would rebate the price of the machine against the number of string sets and rackets sold over a year. I'd bet Wilson did the same thing.

Chotobaka 01-04-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life;7098501[B
]The Odyssey, looked like a blue version of a Prince 6000. [/b] I guess the quality was not up to snuff, or they really did not have any buyers, since it was in the price range of a Star 5.

Babolat and Wilson have an advantage over the other brands, by giving shops promos to offset the price of the machine. One owner told me that Babolat would rebate the price of the machine against the number of string sets and rackets sold over a year. I'd bet Wilson did the same thing.

Yep. Maybe they got the price down by speccing different components and/or QC. Yet another example of why it is not a good idea to jump on the bandwagon unless you are dealing with a rock-solid brand. As much as I like Mark and Alpha, they are still a fringe player. Decent bang for the buck at most basic levels (and solid CS), but a bit of a tough sell as they try to creep up the ladder feature and price wise.

AlfaAce 01-05-2013 07:30 PM

Just posted an ad in the "Wanted" forum looking for a used Star 5. Anyone know of one available? Sounds like this is "the" machine without spending unnecessary $$$.

Lakers4Life 01-05-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7100531)
Just posted an ad in the "Wanted" forum looking for a used Star 5. Anyone know of one available? Sounds like this is "the" machine without spending unnecessary $$$.

Good Luck! If I run across any, I'll let you know.

jim e 01-06-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7100531)

About 2 months ago someone at g r a n d s l a m s t r i n g e r s d o t c o m had one for sale. you may wish to send an e-mail to the owner/ administrator of the site Tim Strawn, as I believe it was his machine. Maybe sold by now, but does not hurt to check.

sstchur 01-06-2013 01:21 PM

The problem with all the "super" expensive / high end machine is that it seems the majority are not available in 2pt mount systems.

Personally, after having used both, and finally settling on a 2pt, I would not want to spend all that money for a 6pt mount. I know the vast majority of people like 6pt, and I have no problem with 6pt conceptually, but I find 2pt easier and more enjoyable to work on, as it just stays out of the way.

Thus, if it were me, and money were no issue, I'd get the highest end machine I could, but which had a 2pt mount. Looks to me like the Prince 5000 fits the bill. Doesn't look like the Prince 6000 (presumably the newer model) comes in 2pt.

If any of the "top dogs" (Babolat, Yonex, Technifibre) had a 2pt model, I would totally consider it.

But I completely realize I'm probably in a minority here (and I'm ok with that).

Lakers4Life 01-06-2013 03:06 PM

One thing I noticed recently with 2 point mounts, especially Prince Neos and Ektelon models. Is that the dogs wear out, after a certain time. Unlike a 6 point were the pads may last longer or get lost. It's much easier to get replacement pads than it is to order dogs or pads from TM. They rarely answer the phones, or even reply to messages, e-mail or voice. Then you when you finally reach them, you find out the parts you want are backordered from Prince. You call Prince to try to order parts, and they refer you to TM. Back to square one. You then start thinking, if these are back ordered, then other owners are having the same problem as you.

Honestly I have no problems with a 6 point mount. If mounted correctly, you should not have blocked holes. It may take 30 sec more to mount, but it's just as efficient. As for 2 point mounts, you don't get block side holes, but you run into mounting problem with narrow bridge rackets.

sstchur 01-06-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7102164)
Honestly I have no problems with a 6 point mount. If mounted correctly, you should not have blocked holes. It may take 30 sec more to mount, but it's just as efficient. As for 2 point mounts, you don't get block side holes, but you run into mounting problem with narrow bridge rackets.

That's true. One one of my towers of my 8800, I have ground down the corners to prevent paint chipping that would result w/ certain racquets.

I don't have a problem either either mount system either, I just prefer 2pt. I think that all models should basically come as either 2pt or 6pt.