Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Murray shot variety (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449832)

newyorkstadium 01-04-2013 02:09 AM

Murray shot variety

How anyone can call Murray a boring pusher is beyond me. Watch this highlight reel. It features drop shots, S&V, lobs, superb return of serves and great foot speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbRUiyTYLQ

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxhHkOel2I

I probably prefer watching Federer. Murray is definitely my second favorite though. Yes I'm british, so I am biased.

Russeljones 01-04-2013 03:43 AM

He's one of the most obvious pushers on circuit. I am sorry you can't see it.

Warmaster 01-04-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 7096665)

No he's not, I am sorry you can't see it.

Homeboy Hotel 01-04-2013 04:01 AM

I don't know who else in the mens game and can predict an opponent as well as Murray, that video shows how much variety the guy has.

Laurie 01-04-2013 04:01 AM

Murray does have a great level of variety and shotmaking no question. However, Murray is very much part of the new breed of tennis player along with Djokovic, probably reflecting the types of medium paced courts tennis is played on at this moment in time.

Since the mid 1980s (Ivan Lendl), the majority of players (not all but most) and especially those who have been number 1 for extended periods, used the Ivan Lendl formula. That formula is to have a great forehand and good movement. And the specific tactic of covering the backhand side of the court to dictate play with the inside out forehand crosscourt whenever possible, and the inside in (down the line forehand) from the backhand corner as an "up the sleeve" shot. From Lendl, through Courier, then Sampras, Agassi, through Federer and Nadal have adopted this tactic. Other players like Moya also adopted it.

Although ironically Murray is now coached by Lendl, Murray doesn't have the mentality to play like this or probably the forehand to pull this type of tactic off on a consistent basis. On that basis Murray may get to number 1, but he appears not to have a game that will dominate for most of the season with the game he currently has unless he continues to improve his aggresive style and makes his forehand a bigger weapon from all areas of the court. Djokovic has manged to make his forehand more offensive whilst still relying on his trusted backhand.

Murray has a bigger game than Hewitt but at this moment in time is in the Hewitt category of grand slam winners.

heninfan99 01-04-2013 04:54 AM

No, he's a junk baller. Garbage men will incorporate pushing here & there. IMHO, he plays better though when he goes for his shots a bit and I think Lendl has him doing this.

Has he played Tomic? That would be a junk fest.

kalyan4fedever 01-04-2013 05:14 AM

MAY be he has the ability but he is a glorious pusher

Sabratha 01-04-2013 05:35 AM

Murray has lots of variety, he has added onto his resume over time. I also wouldn't call anybody on the professional tour a "pusher"; he's a counterpuncher ala Hewitt (except better than Hewitt by a great deal).

The Bawss 01-04-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 7096829)
Murray has lots of variety, he has added onto his resume over time. I also wouldn't call anybody on the professional tour a "pusher"; he's a counterpuncher ala Hewitt (except better than Hewitt by a great deal).

I think Hewitt would weep in defeat at the sight of Murray's trophy cabinet sporting no less than 1 US open trophy.

Mainad 01-04-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heninfan99 (Post 7096768)
Has he played Tomic? That would be a junk fest.

Yes. He beat him in the semis of Brisbane last year 3 and 2.

Mainad 01-04-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 7096665)

He's more than just a pusher and, if you were being truly objective, you would have recognised this by now.

wy2sl0 01-04-2013 09:55 AM

He is the best pusher in the world bar-none. He has two different game styles which is kind of annoying though, although as said with Lendl he is much better than he used to be. He can go entire matches now with aggression and then play like Roddick for an entire match.

Russeljones 01-04-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7097411)
He's more than just a pusher and, if you were being truly objective, you would have recognised this by now.

I just said he is a pusher. I never said he doesn't have variety! He mostly varies his "I am in agony" facial expressions ;)

Mainad 01-04-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 7097811)
I just said he is a pusher. I never said he doesn't have variety! He mostly varies his "I am in agony" facial expressions ;)

That's funny because I always think his facial expressions are the least varied of the lot! :)

Sabratha 01-04-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7097358)
I think Hewitt would weep in defeat at the sight of Murray's trophy cabinet sporting no less than 1 US open trophy.

I was talking talent wise, nobody will deny that Murray is more talented than Hewitt. Hewitt has just achieved more (as of now).

dominikk1985 01-04-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7096589)
How anyone can call Murray a boring pusher is beyond me. Watch this highlight reel. It features drop shots, S&V, lobs, superb return of serves and great foot speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbRUiyTYLQ

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxhHkOel2I

I probably prefer watching Federer. Murray is definitely my second favorite though. Yes I'm british, so I am biased.

he can do that but he does it not often enough. sometimes he hits blistering winners or great serve and volley attacks but then he will fall back into pushing for several games.

I think he improved that under lendl though.

tennis_pro 01-04-2013 01:56 PM

Do that against Federer when it matters and we'll talk.

No offence but showing variety against a qualifier isn't something to brag about.

PrinceMoron 01-04-2013 02:05 PM

Was courtside at Olympics for several Murray matches and he hit a very heavy ball, deep and put everyone on the backfoot. Not much anyone could do about it. Very impressive play.

TheF1Bob 01-04-2013 03:00 PM

Oh God... the deluded Murrayturds are at it again. Muzza is a descent player at best.

Deal with it. 8)

Hawkeye7 01-04-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheF1Bob (Post 7098154)
Oh God... the deluded Murrayturds are at it again. Muzza is a descent player at best.

Deal with it. 8)

Djokovic is an untalented mug who lucked out 5 slams, deal with it. 8)