Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Which female had the most natural ability in history? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449833)

RAFA2005RG 01-04-2013 02:27 AM

Which female had the most natural ability in history?

Navratilova? Graf? Seles? Hingis? Serena? Venus? Sabatini? Capriati? Kournikova? Davenport? King? Goolagong? Court? Moody? Lučić?

SLD76 01-04-2013 02:33 AM

It depends on what you mean by ability.

for instance, one could be a natural athletic phenomenon

or one could have natural hand eye coordination but not be the most natural athlete.

some have both.

RAFA2005RG 01-04-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7096603)
It depends on what you mean by ability.

for instance, one could be a natural athletic phenomenon

or one could have natural hand eye coordination but not be the most natural athlete.

some have both.

You've established what natural ability entails. Now all you have to do is decide which players excel in those categories, and then note which player(s) feature most frequently.

FedererDropShot 01-04-2013 02:54 AM

Graf.

Defs...

always_crosscourt 01-04-2013 03:31 AM

Stick to Nadal mate

Warriorroger 01-04-2013 03:52 AM

athletic abillities I would say Steffi Graf, not even Federer moved as gracefully as she did. Natural abilities, difficult, technically I would say Navratilova and Sabatini, Serena natural power house, she makes it look easy. a lot of words, I don;t think I can answer it :)

underground 01-04-2013 04:00 AM

*** ran out of troll threads?!?! :shock:

Laurie 01-04-2013 04:18 AM

That's an interesting and difficult question.

I think Hingis' had a crazy amount of natural talent and inate intelligent skill but not the athletic ability.

Steffi Graf had amazing natural athletic ability, I heard she could have turned to any athletic discipline, she could have been like Heiki Dreksler (German Olympic heptathlete and long jumper). I do find Graf hitting slice backhands all day slightly infruriating.

Srena Williams has an unbelievably good technically pefrect serve; her ability to apply slice and topspin at pace is a lost art in both mens and womens game because players don't practice it as much due to medium paced courts now, but she came from a different era. Her movement is great but she can look clumsy, but as a result comes up with great improvisation, like a great batsmen in cricket would who has not learned the classic technique.

Justine Henin would be included for me; the best one hand backhand I've seen on a player, I was lucky to see her play many times on grass, clay and indoors and she was always fantastic to watch. I remember the first time I saw her on tv in 2000 at the Canadian Open and I couldn't believe a small girl was hitting a backhand like that!

Petra Kvitova today has the potential to be one of the best. When I saw her live, she looks like she is just touching the ball and it flies off her raquet for a winner!! Incredible natural power, she needs to improve her movement and will to win and she could be very special. She loves going to net, which in today's times is something to be cherished.

Difficult question but the front runners for me would be Graf, Serena, Henin and Navratilova. Hingis just misses out due to lack of natural athletic ability.

Players I would give special mentions to would be Amelie Mauresmo, Kim Clijsters, Venus Williams, Hana Mandlikova.

augustobt 01-04-2013 04:20 AM

Just waiting for *** to point his favorite and compare her with nadal.

always_crosscourt 01-04-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustobt (Post 7096720)
Just waiting for *** to point his favorite and compare her with nadal.

As predictable as clockwork.

Cut to the chase, ***.

Steffi Graf and Serena are known to be two of the most talented female tennis players, and all won their head to heads with their biggest rival(s), therefore Nadal is greater than Federer?

/thread.

heninfan99 01-04-2013 04:26 AM

This is tough because they are so many abilities within tennis.
Power: Serena
Building points: Hingis. It was so beautiful how she strategized and used the whole court and variety of shots. Her offensive lob was astounding.
Timing & backhand: Henin.
Seles changed the game, I think, how it's played.
Clijsters plays just like a guy --amazing.

I don't know enough about the great women of yesteryear though.

Laurie 01-04-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heninfan99 (Post 7096729)
This is tough because they are so many abilities within tennis.
Power: Serena
Building points: Hingis. It was so beautiful how she strategized and used the whole court and variety of shots. He offensive lob was astounding.
Timing & backhand: Henin.
Seles changed the game, I think, how it's played.
Clijsters plays just like a guy --amazing.

I don't know enough about the great women of yesteryear though.

I was thinking about Seles but not sure how to put her game into the realms of natural ability, her shotmaking is unquestionable.

Smasher08 01-04-2013 04:37 AM

Easy:

augustobt 01-04-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasher08 (Post 7096747)
Easy:

You are correct, sir. Julia has the most perfect natural abilities that I've seen in the circuit.

SLD76 01-04-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie (Post 7096718)
That's an interesting and difficult question.

I think Hingis' had a crazy amount of natural talent and inate intelligent skill but not the athletic ability.

Steffi Graf had amazing natural athletic ability, I heard she could have turned to any athletic discipline, she could have been like Heiki Dreksler (German Olympic heptathlete and long jumper). I do find Graf hitting slice backhands all day slightly infruriating.

Srena Williams has an unbelievably good technically pefrect serve; her ability to apply slice and topspin at pace is a lost art in both mens and womens game because players don't practice it as much due to medium paced courts now, but she came from a different era. Her movement is great but she can look clumsy, but as a result comes up with great improvisation, like a great batsmen in cricket would who has not learned the classic technique.

Justine Henin would be included for me; the best one hand backhand I've seen on a player, I was lucky to see her play many times on grass, clay and indoors and she was always fantastic to watch. I remember the first time I saw her on tv in 2000 at the Canadian Open and I couldn't believe a small girl was hitting a backhand like that!

Petra Kvitova today has the potential to be one of the best. When I saw her live, she looks like she is just touching the ball and it flies off her raquet for a winner!! Incredible natural power, she needs to improve her movement and will to win and she could be very special. She loves going to net, which in today's times is something to be cherished.

Difficult question but the front runners for me would be Graf, Serena, Henin and Navratilova. Hingis just misses out due to lack of natural athletic ability.

Players I would give special mentions to would be Amelie Mauresmo, Kim Clijsters, Venus Williams, Hana Mandlikova.

I approve this message. And agree especially about hingis having insane natural tennis skill, but not the athleticism to back it up properly.

When people call Woz Hingis 2.0 its such an affront Hingis. Woz wishes she could volley 1/4 as well as Hingis.

Polaris 01-04-2013 05:41 AM

Haven't seen enough footage of Lenglen, Moody or Court to give an informed answer.

But, the name that always comes to mind for natural tennis ability is Hingis. There have been very few men or women for whom tennis came naturally: no unnecessary bodily contortions, no stupid shrieks or grunts, just an infuriatingly serene manner of redirecting the ball from the racket. Hingis seemed to have more natural tennis talent in her little finger than most of her opponents put together. Physically, mentally and athletically, she would not stand up next to Graf or Evert or Navratilova or Serena Williams, but purely for ball striking and an innate understanding of the court's geometry, she was up there with them, if not better.

Laurie is right about Hana Mandlikova too. She was great to watch.

SLD76 01-04-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 7096842)
Haven't seen enough footage of Lenglen, Moody or Court to give an informed answer.

But, the name that comes to mind for natural tennis ability is Hingis. There have been very few men or women for whom tennis came naturally: no unnecessary bodily contortions, no stupid shrieks or grunts, just an infuriatingly serene manner of redirecting the ball from the racket. Hingis seemed to have more natural tennis talent in her little finger than most of her opponents put together. Physically and athletically, she would not stand up next to Graf or Navratilova or Serena Williams, but purely for ball striking and an innate understanding of the court's geometry, she was up there with them, if not better.

its so weird that a tiny country like switzerland produced a male and female tennis prodigy.

wonder if you back far enough if hingis and fed are related somwhere...

dominikk1985 01-04-2013 05:49 AM

Dolgo:).

I think henin should be in the mix. she was short but very strong and athletic plus having great tennis skills. the best natural athlete was probably graf.

JMR 01-04-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7096844)
its so weird that a tiny country like switzerland produced a male and female tennis prodigy.

wonder if you back far enough if hingis and fed are related somwhere...

If you go back far enough, everyone is related to everyone else. However, Hingis was born in Czechoslovakia to two parents with no Swiss or South African ancestry (as far as I know), making it very improbable that she and Federer have any sort of familial connection.

SLD76 01-04-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMR (Post 7097126)
If you go back far enough, everyone is related to everyone else. However, Hingis was born in Czechoslovakia to two parents with no Swiss or South African ancestry (as far as I know), making it very improbable that she and Federer have any sort of familial connection.

Well drats then