Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ssgator80 compared me to the Club Pusher last night! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449841)

mikeler 01-04-2013 05:05 AM

ssgator80 compared me to the Club Pusher last night!
 
I told him it was a compliment. :twisted:

How would you respond to such blasphemy?

sphinx780 01-04-2013 06:29 AM

I can only suggest the cheap shot short joke.

It's hard for me to suggest that you continue a style that requires you to 'be patient' or to 'put balls in play' as neither are in my skill set. ;-)

mikeler 01-04-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinx780 (Post 7096926)
I can only suggest the cheap shot short joke.

It's hard for me to suggest that you continue a style that requires you to 'be patient' or to 'put balls in play' as neither are in my skill set. ;-)


Maybe I need that spare set of Maxim Touch 16 to add some power to my game. :)

I was hitting hard serves, that should count for something.

bad_call 01-04-2013 06:35 AM

^ could it be that the Exo you're using produces a somewhat "fluffy" ball?

mikeler 01-04-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 7096939)
^ could it be that the Exo you're using produces a somewhat "fluffy" ball?

It does make me go for less winners.

goran_ace 01-04-2013 07:27 AM

Let the scoreboard do the talking.

mikeler 01-04-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7097049)
Let the scoreboard do the talking.

I should have added that as an option.

JoeR 01-04-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7097049)
Let the scoreboard do the talking.

Definitely this.

If they can't grind you down... more power to you.

dr325i 01-04-2013 11:22 AM

OP: I have heard similar about you from different people ;)

Why don't you post a video of you playing so that we can judge?
BTW, your response is not bad, nothing wrong with being a pusher if all you care is the end score...

mikeler 01-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7097654)
OP: I have heard similar about you from different people ;)

Why don't you post a video of you playing so that we can judge?
BTW, your response is not bad, nothing wrong with being a pusher if all you care is the end score...

And who else might that be? :)

Something with the Exo Tour just makes me want to grind matches out versus blasting winners.

Chace 01-04-2013 11:48 AM

If it's getting you the W's and you like that style of play then I say stick with it.

mikeler 01-04-2013 11:49 AM

I prefer this description from Kaptain Karl's 6 playing styles described sticky:

4 a. - Spin Doctor players are the highest developed of the Junk Ballers. They stroke the ball with pace (when they wish) but also with crazy slices, side spins, topspins and some spins we don’t yet have names for. Spin Doctors keep you off-balance, wrong footed and clumsily compensating for their shots by altering your own strokes. They are serious threats to both players who Attack the Net and Baseliners.

Most players would rather have a root canal than play these guys. Their tennis seems as much “psychological warfare” as it is “real tennis” competition. While Spin Doctors’ opponents frequently “lose their cool” during matches, the Doctors themselves tend to be some of the most unflappable players you will encounter.

sphinx780 01-04-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7097735)
I prefer this description from Kaptain Karl's 6 playing styles described sticky:

4 a. - Spin Doctor players are the highest developed of the Junk Ballers. They stroke the ball with pace (when they wish) but also with crazy slices, side spins, topspins and some spins we don’t yet have names for. Spin Doctors keep you off-balance, wrong footed and clumsily compensating for their shots by altering your own strokes. They are serious threats to both players who Attack the Net and Baseliners.

Most players would rather have a root canal than play these guys. Their tennis seems as much “psychological warfare” as it is “real tennis” competition. While Spin Doctors’ opponents frequently “lose their cool” during matches, the Doctors themselves tend to be some of the most unflappable players you will encounter.

Fabrice! Glad to see you on ttw ;-)


Imho, it takes a skilled player to execute that consistently and effectively at 4.5+

dgoran 01-06-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7096781)
I told him it was a compliment. :twisted:

How would you respond to such blasphemy?

Help me out over here. I was always under the impression that you are basically grinder/pusher and proud of it. Is that not the case? Your post sounds like you are ever so mildly offended I can't tell if you are mad sad or joking in this post?

Who won btw from seeing gator play around the tournaments he does struggle with pushers/grinders.

mikeler 01-06-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoran (Post 7102041)
Help me out over here. I was always under the impression that you are basically grinder/pusher and proud of it. Is that not the case? Your post sounds like you are ever so mildly offended I can't tell if you are mad sad or joking in this post?

Who won btw from seeing gator play around the tournaments he does struggle with pushers/grinders.

The thread is purely a joke. The worst part of this thread is that I lost to the bonafide club pusher yesterday. :(

jtrain_36 01-06-2013 02:05 PM

Call for random lets. Let's be honest, it's an effective strategy :twisted:

And a great way to go for a golden set I might add! :)

Chris De Tone 01-06-2013 02:22 PM

Look, I haven't ever seen you play, so I don't know. But, if a particular style works for you against a particular opponent, don't let their words change you. Let them adjust...

mikeler 01-06-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris De Tone (Post 7102098)
Look, I haven't ever seen you play, so I don't know. But, if a particular style works for you against a particular opponent, don't let their words change you. Let them adjust...

Totally agree.

ssgator80 01-06-2013 04:31 PM

I think you should keep on pushing. Hit the damn ball like a man! Funny - I was watching tennis this afternoon and they were hitting from behind the baseline. That is where tennis is played - not six feet in. I dont even know how to practice that shot.

mikeler 01-07-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgator80 (Post 7102282)
I think you should keep on pushing. Hit the damn ball like a man! Funny - I was watching tennis this afternoon and they were hitting from behind the baseline. That is where tennis is played - not six feet in. I dont even know how to practice that shot.


About time you jumped in here! I think the certified pusher is lobbing even more during rallies.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse