Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New coach, new tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449853)

10istalent 01-04-2013 06:16 AM

New coach, new tennis

So my blue chip daughter switched coaches. It was an easy transition. However, she has always won based on her power and aggressiveness. Old coach encouraged this type of game. My girl is strong and tall and athletic. New coach says she has a one dimensional game. He wants to add more slice, drop shots, rally balls to give her more of a game. We watched Ana konjuh and she has variety. What do you think? Change game or keep what works? She is 14 now. Will she need more for college or just keep pounding and placing the ball?

Bowtiesarecool 01-04-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7096900)
So my blue chip daughter switched coaches. It was an easy transition. However, she has always won based on her power and aggressiveness. Old coach encouraged this type of game. My girl is strong and tall and athletic. New coach says she has a one dimensional game. He wants to add more slice, drop shots, rally balls to give her more of a game. We watched Ana konjuh and she has variety. What do you think? Change game or keep what works? She is 14 now. Will she need more for college or just keep pounding and placing the ball?

I think what your new coach is trying to point out is, playing the aggressive, power game is only going to get her so far. He wants your daughter to keep the power and aggressive nature of her game, while adding variety to keep her opponents guessing.

Chemist 01-04-2013 06:48 AM

Adding more weapons to her arsenal would surely make her a better player. My son and I stopped by the G18 site of the winter national to cheer for his friend. I saw many girls played like your daughter, hitting hard. A few girls mixed in moon balls and slices. Very few hit heavy spin balls like most B18 would do. I also noticed that many girls missed opportunities of finishing points at the net. If they came in, they were more likely to hit swing volleys from behind the service line. Townsend is so good because she has a beautiful net game.

TennisCoachIN 01-04-2013 06:56 AM

The more tools in bag the better :) will be a positive move. As time goes by she will face girls just like her, so what will separate them. Add the variety now, in the future she will happy she did.

chalkflewup 01-04-2013 07:13 AM

An all court game is the best game to have if it suits her tennis personality. It takes longer to learn but, it's so much more fun to play when you have options.

TCF 01-04-2013 09:51 AM

==========================

rgwarren 01-04-2013 09:58 AM

The trick is to keep your opponent off balance and a variety of shots will surely help to do that.

rgwarren 01-04-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7097449)
Not helpful and not true. Although he may have some opinions you and he disagree with they have nothing to do with coaching tennis.

Absolutely true. If you want ur kid to develop into a high level player, stay away from tcf.

TennisCoachIN 01-04-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgwarren (Post 7097465)
Absolutely true. If you want ur kid to develop into a high level player, stay away from tcf.

rgwarren. I'm just curious. I know you have stated that AD has been playing since 3, which she is almost 12 now. So let's say almost 8 years of playing. What is the plan to improve on her serve, if she does not take time off of tournments?

8 years with her serve, you have to admit is going to be a very tough habit for her break without some kind of break. I only want to see the best for anybody's kid, so this is why I'm asking. Thanks

10istalent 01-04-2013 10:34 AM

The only thing is, she associates the variety with junk. She plays the net a lot, being tall she has great coverage, but she wants to be in the court hitting on the rise. She is impatient. I told her she needs to trust her coach, which is a whole other issue after the lying last one. She has been studying some federer videos and is starting to get it, but I know she doesn't believe it overal. She said women vs men are different.

TennisCoachIN 01-04-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7097510)
The only thing is, she associates the variety with junk. She plays the net a lot, being tall she has great coverage, but she wants to be in the court hitting on the rise. She is impatient. I told her she needs to trust her coach, which is a whole other issue after the lying last one. She has been studying some federer videos and is starting to get it, but I know she doesn't believe it overal. She said women vs men are different.

It will take some time for her to realize an all court game will have more advantages. She is right men and women's game are different. But ask her does she want to be like every other junior girl out there or does she want to try and separate herself with variety.

TCF 01-04-2013 10:40 AM

ga tennis 01-04-2013 10:44 AM

I wouldnt worry so much about the slices and drop shots and adding too much variety. I would keep the power game and continue to work on hitting her targets. I would also work on the serve and return and make those parts of her game top notch weapons.

Number1Coach 01-04-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7096900)

My player was very one dimensional as a young player , pretty much what you described , he now has a lot more variety in his game an we are constantly looking to add more , this new coach sounds like he is on track just watch it closely

TCF 01-04-2013 10:59 AM

ga tennis 01-04-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7097568)
My player was very one dimensional as a young player , pretty much what you described , he now has a lot more variety in his game an we are constantly looking to add more , this new coach sounds like he is on track just watch it closely

Brad dont worry about variety... Deit needs to be focused on serve,returns, and point construction

Number1Coach 01-04-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 7097600)
Brad dont worry about variety... Deit needs to be focused on serve,returns, and point construction

I agree but his power get him in trouble , probably like the OP player is experiencing , he could have finished some of his OB matches a lot easier with off speed approach shots and drop shots ,

So the OP is heading in the right direction , they don't want to base their whole game on it but mix it in for sure

Number1Coach 01-04-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgwarren (Post 7097593)
Please go, to have overstayed ur welcome here years ago

Rg calm down he shot my player down for years and now he's scratching his head trying to figure out how he is the top recruit in the land and when my player is In the top 10 ATP he will come up with something like I had secret coaching , just sit back and have a laugh and let's focus on the OP question

10istalent 01-04-2013 12:13 PM

I really appreciate everyone's personal experience and opinion. Thanks

10ismom 01-04-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7097510)

Have her watch Kvitova play. She is tall, has great serves and aggressive groundstrokes. She often finishes points at the net.
I'm sure you know she won wimbledon but has had shaky results after that. I still love her game and think it will be a good example for your daughter.