Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The possible explanation for players leaving Nike... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449903)

Prostaffer 01-04-2013 01:57 PM

The possible explanation for players leaving Nike...
 
The number of players leaving or getting dropped by Nike might be explained by what is happening on the other side of the country club...check the golf course.

From MyGolfSpy.Com

http://www.mygolfspy.com/nike-golf-1...-in-the-world/

"To understand why this time is different, you need a very rudimentary understanding of how money gets divvied up at Nike. Every year the different segments (golf, football, basketball, etc.) make their plans and plead their cases to the corporate decision makers. And year after year the bulk of the money goes to football (metric) and basketball and other sports where RZN isnít. This year, however; things are different. More money than ever before has been allocated to the golf division, which is going to allow Nike Golf to do things it has never been able to do before (like compete with TaylorMade dollar for dollar)."

Nike Golf is making a strong push this year into the golf market which not only includes a new club lineup, but 5 new athletes being added to their roster. The largest being a man who is no stranger to tennis. BF (maybe finacee) of former no.1 WTA player Caroline Wozniacki is Rory McIlroy who is rumored to be joining Nike Jan. 14th to the tune of $200 million dollars.

My golf contacts tell me that his money is being paid by Nike Inc and not Nike Golf. So if Nike is pushing Golf this year, some money had to be pulled back. The signs are there that the money is being cut in the tennis world. They are carrying over the Court Ballistec and Vapor 9 for another year. Something that hasn't been done by them in a long long time. Usually we get a new Vapor or secondary shoe every year. Now we see a diminished presence by them on Tour.

Most interesting...for a long time I have heard that the Golf industry is shrinking...what does this say about the Tennis industry?

Bartelby 01-04-2013 02:09 PM

Wozniacki's sleeping with the enemy.

Bartelby 01-04-2013 02:11 PM

Nike golf seems to do everything, Nike tennis just clothes and shoes. That would make a huge difference to potential revenue.

Vertiz 01-04-2013 02:16 PM

They realized nadal is done. They realized roger will be done soon. They realized rory is beast moding on the course. Easy corporate decision, transfer funds from a dieing sector to a rising sector. Their golf equipment is actually very nice though.

benraschke 01-04-2013 03:35 PM

The possible explanation for players leaving Nike...
 
Why is Nike not interested in signing the number #1 player in the world. Djokovic has become like Federer in making it to the semi finals in all the majors and pretty much most other tournaments as well. Djokovic needs a bigger sponsor and with question marks about Nadal and Federer getting older why not lock up the Joker now? Tennis will continue to grow in this country and it's much cheaper to play compared to golf. Green fees in this country are ridiculous.

West Coast Ace 01-04-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benraschke (Post 7098099)
...why not lock up the Joker now?

Because Nike does their homework and doesn't think he's marketable or recognizable? Fed appealed to older fans because he reminds them of tennis when they were young; Nadal appeals to the young, anti-establishment fans. And maybe they have negotiated with his team and found their demands too high? We will never know (since none of us were involved in any talks) - he may have only gone to Uniqlo because they were the ONLY deal, not the best deal.

OP, thanks for posting - although I'm respectfully not buying. The tennis budget at Nike is a mere pimple on the proverbial 'large mammal's' rear end. For what the Rory contract is allegedly for, Nike would have to shutter the entire tennis operation.

Bobby Jr 01-04-2013 04:26 PM

I don't think this has anything at all to do with tennis players seeming to be leaving Nike... For a start, the divisions of Nike pull their weight or they would be reigned in after a short time - possibly less than 2 years. Nike wouldn't stand for, very long at least, propping up a division that had to be paid for by the others.

Secondly, we have no idea whatsoever when the contracts of the players leaving Nike were up. They're not in perpetuity. Del Potro for example may have been offered a three year deal shortly after winning the 2009 US Open - which would be up now.

Likewise, the tennis clothing market especially seems to be maturing again after a relatively long haitus where only two or three brands really succeeded and the others struggled. The fact we're seeing Wilson clothing quickly become a relatively common sight again suggests it's companies like them and Head who're branching out and approaching players with offers moreso than Nike ditching players. These companies often have existing direct contacts courtesy of their racquet contracts/arrangements so the likes of Wawrinka, Berdych, Dimitrov or whoever moving over to their clothing division is not remotely surprising to me.

Similarly, now that Federer is closer to the end of his career and Nadal has been relatively unsuccessful in terms of taking over those reigns in the last 18 months or more (either in his results or as the person to take over the head "face of tennis" role post-Federer *) Nike is perhaps just taking a broader view for a period and being pragmatic about who they sign. Most of the players they've endorsed haven't broken through to the top echelon and most of them will be on two or one year arrangements of pretty moderate value, so other companies will be stepping in and making offers for sure. Maybe Nike is just reassessing the field - taking a closer look at guys like Janowicz, Tomic etc.

Also worth noting, the total cost of the players who're leaving Nike would be less money than Nike spends on Federer promo events per year. His and Nadal's total endorsement costs combined would surpass everyone else put together by miles (I'm talking just about the men here). Losing Del Potro or Dimotriv or Berduch or all of them would be less about saving money than it would their not being bothered to get into a bidding war with another company for players who've had years to break through and haven't really yet.

(*a local shop I go to doesn't even stock Nadal's clothing anymore. They still have plenty of his last season's gear available in the sale bins and the guy there told me no-one was buying it. Federer's gear flies out the door still though.)

thefederman 01-04-2013 04:28 PM

i agree with your point about the division of money at nike but i believe there is nothing to the carry over of the vapor. I believe (and this is just my opinion) that the carry over is due to the success of the vapor 9, the fact it was designed by Tinker Hatfield a nike legend and so that they could do a massive cross sport launch of the Vapor 10 which would include their soccer cleats the nike mercurial vapor next year because those shoes are on their 9 edition in 2013

Maui19 01-04-2013 05:48 PM

Golf had a very good year in 2012. Whether it will continue to grow after years of stagnation remains to be seen, but Nike seems to think the best return of their investment will be in golf rather than tennis.

bigmatt 01-04-2013 06:04 PM

Dropping some of these guys reinforces the point that there are very few players that actually sell stuff. Roger does; Rafa did (and may again if he gets healthy). I doubt Berdych does, but am surprised Delpo wasn't re-signed.

MAXXply 01-04-2013 06:16 PM

On the topic of Nike Golf, what do you guys think of the crossover suitability of Nike Golf apparel for tennis?
I exclude their golf shirts for the reason I dislike the traditional oversized billowey sleeves (presumably to aid one's golf swing?) but the materials are the same aren't they? And their designs are tasteful enough for streetwear. I'd buy Nike Golf polos in a heartbeat if they had normal/small armholes and a regular polo fit.
Mainly, I'm asking about their golf shorts, which look great and are also a great fit for the street. There usually seems so much more cool stuff in the Nike Golf section of a sports store.

cork_screw 01-04-2013 07:24 PM

Players aren't *leaving* Nike, they're getting dropped. Nobody leaves an extra paycheck. Nike pays very well, better than other companies. Maybe Nike wants to focus on other sports. Maybe Nike thinks it has too many sponsored players who aren't making them a return in endorsements. Maybe Nike doesn't want to endorse someone in the outside top 20 because they feel whether they are there or whether they are not won't make a difference in the amount of money Nike is investing in them. Nike is a very smart company, they don't just stumble and make mistakes. Nike is in charge here, not the players.

"Somebody got 'let go.' - you mean "fired" - 'let go' is a euphemism. Be realistic and use logic.

フェデラー 01-04-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_screw (Post 7098541)
Players aren't *leaving* Nike, they're getting dropped. Nobody leaves an extra paycheck. Nike pays very well, better than other companies. Maybe Nike wants to focus on other sports. Maybe Nike thinks it has too many sponsored players who aren't making them a return in endorsements. Maybe Nike doesn't want to endorse someone in the outside top 20 because they feel whether they are there or whether they are not won't make a difference in the amount of money Nike is investing in them. Nike is a very smart company, they don't just stumble and make mistakes. Nike is in charge here, not the players.

"Somebody got 'let go.' - you mean "fired" - 'let go' is a euphemism. Be realistic and use logic.

Nike makes so much money off of Roger and Rafa they probably wouldn't care if they didn't sponsor any other players on the entire tour.

andymaratkimi 01-04-2013 10:09 PM

Hope Joker go to an euro brand but not Adidas.

vandre 01-04-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_screw (Post 7098541)
Players aren't *leaving* Nike, they're getting dropped. Nobody leaves an extra paycheck. Nike pays very well, better than other companies. Maybe Nike wants to focus on other sports. Maybe Nike thinks it has too many sponsored players who aren't making them a return in endorsements. Maybe Nike doesn't want to endorse someone in the outside top 20 because they feel whether they are there or whether they are not won't make a difference in the amount of money Nike is investing in them. Nike is a very smart company, they don't just stumble and make mistakes. Nike is in charge here, not the players.

"Somebody got 'let go.' - you mean "fired" - 'let go' is a euphemism. Be realistic and use logic.

look at who they've dropped...

...donald young, bird-man (berdych), julia gorges, and a bunch more i'm forgetting (feel free to add them). now look at their results for 2012. the only record dy came close to breaking was number of first round loses, berdych maxed out as a sf @ uso and qf @ oz (and got bounced from w in the 1st rnd) while winning minor titles in montpellier and stockholm. gorges was ru in linz and dubai in 2012 and made it to the 4th rd @ ao, 3rd rd @ the french, 3rd rd @ w and got bounced in the first round @ uso.

out of these 3, berdych definately had the best 2012 results but there's such a log-jam at the top of nike's men's roster that he was prolly odd man out.

conversely, here's who nike kept: fed (w champ, ao @ fo sf, uso qf), rafa ( fo champ, ao sf), serena (w & uso champ, 4th rd ao, 1st rd fo), masha (fo champ, ru @ ao, 4th rd @ w, sf @ uso), vika (champ @ ao, ru @ uso, 4th rd @ fo, sf @ w).

you can say that nike is shifting emphasis away from tennis or you can say nike cut loose some dead weight.

Bhagi Katbamna 01-05-2013 09:55 AM

Makes sense given the demographics of the developed world(more older people, decreasing birth rates).

canny 01-05-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7098395)
On the topic of Nike Golf, what do you guys think of the crossover suitability of Nike Golf apparel for tennis?
I exclude their golf shirts for the reason I dislike the traditional oversized billowey sleeves (presumably to aid one's golf swing?) but the materials are the same aren't they? And their designs are tasteful enough for streetwear. I'd buy Nike Golf polos in a heartbeat if they had normal/small armholes and a regular polo fit.
Mainly, I'm asking about their golf shorts, which look great and are also a great fit for the street. There usually seems so much more cool stuff in the Nike Golf section of a sports store.

I play High School Golf aswell and have numerous Nike golf apparel and gear. Their shorts and pants are the only thing I'd wear outside of golf. But I do use their visors and heritage hat line for my tennis ware as it's better than their ugly tennis hats.

XFactorer 01-05-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7097934)
Nike golf seems to do everything, Nike tennis just clothes and shoes. That would make a huge difference to potential revenue.

Nike Golf is a subsidy of Nike, Inc. Nike Tennis (Running, Training, Football, etc) is just part of Nike, not it's own little entity.

smoledman 01-05-2013 03:15 PM

Nike Inc. FY 2012:

Revenue - $24.128 billion
Net income - $2.23 billion

novak.20v 01-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benraschke (Post 7098099)
Why is Nike not interested in signing the number #1 player in the world. Djokovic has become like Federer in making it to the semi finals in all the majors and pretty much most other tournaments as well. Djokovic needs a bigger sponsor and with question marks about Nadal and Federer getting older why not lock up the Joker now? Tennis will continue to grow in this country and it's much cheaper to play compared to golf. Green fees in this country are ridiculous.

Nadal is only a year older than Djokovic. haha.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse