Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Here is how to WIN in every match, yes I'm serious (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449930)

Mick3391 01-04-2013 07:17 PM

Beer Is Bad For You, Even Once Every Two Months

Mick3391 01-04-2013 07:26 PM

One last thing, these "gurus", who show you algebraic charts have no clue, yea they seem impressive, but they can't factor in desire, intellect, the emotions of fear and joy, so they should be dismissed.

Tennis is simply transferring the mind into the body, doesn't matter if you hold your racquet Western or Eastern, these are basics, it's in the MIND, PERIOD.

Passion4Tennis 01-04-2013 07:41 PM

I don't think this thread will get as much attention as your "sissies" one,
but we'll see how it shakes out. Best of luck, though.

tlm 01-04-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7098620)
One last thing, these "gurus", who show you algebraic charts have no clue, yea they seem impressive, but they can't factor in desire, intellect, the emotions of fear and joy, so they should be dismissed.

Tennis is simply transferring the mind into the body, doesn't matter if you hold your racquet Western or Eastern, these are basics, it's in the MIND, PERIOD.

Actually you may be a little over the top, but I have to think there is some truth to what you are saying.

sureshs 01-04-2013 09:07 PM

My best tennis is certainly not inside me. It is just not there.

NLBwell 01-04-2013 09:56 PM

sureshs, your best tennis is your inner Oscar. You just need 5263 to bring it out of you.

NLBwell 01-04-2013 09:58 PM

The way to win every match is to play people who aren't nearly as good as you.

Why would you want to win every match unless you are close to #1 on the ATP computer?

corbind 01-05-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7098842)
sureshs, your best tennis is your inner Oscar. You just need 5263 to bring it out of you.

That's pretty funny indeed. :)

sundaypunch 01-05-2013 06:20 AM

Yet another 1-star thread. FYI, a "short lob barely over the net" is called a drop shot.....

tennis_balla 01-05-2013 06:36 AM

Modern game includes no mid-court or net play?
Wrong.

Mick you need to do some research into what top academies and coaches are teaching. The reason why most players have abandoned the net isn't because they don't know how to volley, or cannot handle mid-court balls. It is because its not a high percentage play anymore to come to the net constantly at a high level. A player is too vulnerable up there. Also, instead of coming to the net players finish a lot of points mid-court. Current players are better in the mid-court then 20-30 years ago. They are hitting harder, stronger shots, more angles, etc from there.

Coaches nowadays teach all aspects of the game, its ridiculous how complete a lot of training programs are. All areas of the court are covered, all tactical situations etc. At Sanchez-Casal for example they pay as much attention to net play as they do to mid-court and baseline play. The reason why players choose to play at the baseline is because that is the nature of the game now and their best shot at winning. It isn't the coaches forcing kids to play only from the back.

If there was any loop hole, anything missed it would be covered and used a long time ago. Top players look for any advantage they can get and coaches scout, analyze, and teach the best way they can for their students to win. Also, you cannot force a player who is comfortable and has the mentality to play at the baseline to all of a sudden expect them to become serve and volley'ers, it just doesn't work that way.

guitarplayer 01-05-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7098607)
Having thought about "Tips" for some time, I believe I have the answer. Yes, you must be in shape, yes, you must practice non stop, but the answer is easy.

Look at all the advice solicited on this forum. Most people DON'T KNOW. Even the good players are not sure.

ALWAYS DO THE OPPOSITE! ALWAYS. Think! Guy practice the so called "Modern Game", that only means they can't handle mid-court or the net, they were TRAINED to dictact from the baseline.

Likewise, if you find, which is rare, a true SV learn baseline play.

But it gets better than that. Questions are asked, "How to improve.......". The answer is obvious, practice, practice, then more, do EVERYTHING what do you have to lose?

How do you have a top ranked player "Not very good at the net", or anything? Just like making muscle, you use muscle confusion to make your muscles adapt, same deal here, EVERY SHOT should be different, long baseling shot, then a short lob, then net, the baseling, these guys today ARE ROBOTS!

Mix it up. Think about it, you are a baseliner, then once in awhile you have a short lob barely over the new, will that not make you insecure? You heh never know do you. What about side spin low shots that I do and others are doing?.

When I hear, "How do I improve my forehand", for example, no offense but I think "Do what I did, practice your tail off to see what works of throw in the towel", I mean what are we talking about here, "Well, see, hold your hand like this, and....."

Tennis is a totally mental sport, that's why it's popular even though we don't think that, it's MENTAL. I'm in HORRIBLE SHAPE, but I'd whip most on this board by making quick winners.

So forget this "New Tennis" BS, even Sampras said "Well in the modern game I"d lick my chops at someone who wants to stay back".

Ignore all of these "Gurus", who give us plentious words, just to be paid".

Do like what MR. Miogy said "YOUR BEST TENNIS IS NOT LEARNED BUT IS INSIDE YOU"

Kids, this is why you don't take drugs.
Kids, this is why you don't take drugs and start posting.

tlm 01-05-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7099271)
Wrong.

Mick you need to do some research into what top academies and coaches are teaching. The reason why most players have abandoned the net isn't because they don't know how to volley, or cannot handle mid-court balls. It is because its not a high percentage play anymore to come to the net constantly at a high level. A player is too vulnerable up there. Also, instead of coming to the net players finish a lot of points mid-court. Current players are better in the mid-court then 20-30 years ago. They are hitting harder, stronger shots, more angles, etc from there.

Coaches nowadays teach all aspects of the game, its ridiculous how complete a lot of training programs are. All areas of the court are covered, all tactical situations etc. At Sanchez-Casal for example they pay as much attention to net play as they do to mid-court and baseline play. The reason why players choose to play at the baseline is because that is the nature of the game now and their best shot at winning. It isn't the coaches forcing kids to play only from the back.

If there was any loop hole, anything missed it would be covered and used a long time ago. Top players look for any advantage they can get and coaches scout, analyze, and teach the best way they can for their students to win. Also, you cannot force a player who is comfortable and has the mentality to play at the baseline to all of a sudden expect them to become serve and volley'ers, it just doesn't work that way.

This is a excellent explanation of why S+V is no longer used much or very effective at the higher levels of tennis any longer.

5263 01-05-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7099271)
Wrong.

You got it balla,
Most of what he has described IS the modern game today. Play well from the BL.
Play awesome from the mid ct and transitions. Be able to volley well when it
comes down to close range combat.

Tennis has evolved much like MMA, where it started as kickboxing, then close in
ground fighting took over, followed by a much more balanced fighter who can
bring the match to his strengths and defend incredibly in his non-strengths, but
really has few to no true weaknesses.

LuckyR 01-05-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7098620)

Glad to hear someone finally figured out tennis.

What was your recond in matchplaying using your own advice and what is your strategy when you play someone who is following your advice?

sundaypunch 01-05-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer (Post 7099316)
Kids, this is why you don't take drugs.
Kids, this is why you don't take drugs and start posting.

In all seriousness, do you think it is a coincidence that this thread and the "sissies" thread were both started on a Friday or Saturday night?

sureshs 01-05-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7098842)
sureshs, your best tennis is your inner Oscar

So we both agree there is no best tennis there

sureshs 01-05-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7098607)
So forget this "New Tennis" BS, even Sampras said "Well in the modern game I"d lick my chops at someone who wants to stay back".

Why "even" Sampras? Because everyone else is a better serve and volleyer than him?

BTW, Nadal would have taken him out easily.

Relinquis 01-05-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7099855)
Why "even" Sampras? Because everyone else is a better serve and volleyer than him?

BTW, Nadal would have taken him out easily.

easily? on clay for sure, but i doubt so on grass or fast hardcourts. I'm not sure he'd even win on those surfaces (with or without current strings), nevermind easily.

MarinaHighTennis 01-05-2013 05:04 PM

I have to say he has a point. Players my age and younger lose to older guys who love to hack, slick, lob (constantly), super good defense, volley, etc. because the shot difference mixes them up. I get really close sets with my uncle for that reason bc while I'm slamming them corner to corner, he pops a super high lob on the baseline. He doesn't do it all the time but only when on the defense. Its a good strategy that I hope to incorporate into my game. The OLD MAN's GAME! lolol

slowfox 01-05-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7100305)
I have to say he has a point. Players my age and younger lose to older guys who love to hack, slick, lob (constantly), super good defense, volley, etc. because the shot difference mixes them up. I get really close sets with my uncle for that reason bc while I'm slamming them corner to corner, he pops a super high lob on the baseline. He doesn't do it all the time but only when on the defense. Its a good strategy that I hope to incorporate into my game. The OLD MAN's GAME! lolol

One guy at my local courts loves to hit a forehand slice. It has crazy sidespin. He says he's used it many a time to dismiss them young guns... lol