Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Trouble losing weight (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449931)

Cameron 01-04-2013 07:30 PM

Trouble losing weight

Hi everyone,

So I'm a DI college player and I'm 5'8'' 132 pounds and my body fat is 17.5. I've been home training really hard over the break to get ready for our spring season. I was trying to get in better shape and eat really healthy and lose some weight over the break. I've been eating 1200 calories and working out with weights and lots of cardio everyday plus tennis practice every day so I definitely have a deficit of the amount of calories I'm consuming and burning. And I'm also drinking a lot of water. I've been doing this since I got home before Christmas and have not lost a pound. I'm just super confused and frustrated that I haven't been successful and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So any advice you guys have would be so helpful. Thank you!!

v-verb 01-04-2013 07:39 PM

You're probably losing fat and gaining muscle. Don't worry. Eat right, train hard and get plenty of sleep.

You'll see a difference in a few weeks/months

OHBH 01-04-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7098653)
You're probably losing fat and gaining muscle. Don't worry. Eat right, train hard and get plenty of sleep.

You'll see a difference in a few weeks/months

Hopefully, but I doubt anyone could gain muscle on only 1200 calories a day.
1200 is way too low you need 1500 minimum for a person of your size if you are working out vigorously everyday. Your diet should consist of a moderate calorie deficit and be high in protein. About 35-40% of your calories should be protein so that makes 130-140 grams of protein per day which will be difficult to get unless you supplement.

Cameron 01-04-2013 08:15 PM

I thought maybe it was muscle too but I don't think so... You think I should eat more? I feel like I have enough energy and I'm scared ill gain weight. I understand I need enough to fuel my body it just doesn't make sense why I haven't lost anything despite working so hard. Maybe less carbs and more protein?

v-verb 01-04-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7098674)
Hopefully, but I doubt anyone could gain muscle on only 1200 calories a day.
1200 is way too low you need 1500 minimum for a person of your size if you are working out vigorously everyday. Your diet should consist of a moderate calorie deficit and be high in protein. About 35-40% of your calories should be protein so that makes 130-140 grams of protein per day which will be difficult to get unless you supplement.

OHBH makes a lot of sense. You need to eat enough so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

But you should really get some expert advice - see a nutritionist and get the real scoop

Tennishacker 01-05-2013 12:33 PM

Are you a male or female?

If your a male, IMO you are under weight. 5'8" 132lbs.? Wow, hopefully your all muscle.

If your a female, something is not right, 17% body fat is not healthily.

EC230 01-05-2013 12:43 PM

I'd have to agree with Tennishacker, regardless of being a male or female, your BMI is in the optimal range. And if you are a female, you are already in the acceptable range for athletes.

So I guess the question I would like to ask is: why do you feel like you need to lose weight?

Sumo 01-05-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7099917)

If your a female, something is not right, 17% body fat is not healthily.

Are you saying that's too high? Women carry more fat and 17% is about right on.

ruerooo 01-05-2013 02:31 PM

I'm wondering why this player hasn't made this inquiry of her trainer and /or nutritionist ...?

Cameron 01-05-2013 06:11 PM

I'm a girl, sorry I didn't say that, and I will ask my trainers but I'm home for break so I'm not in contact with them at the moment. I guess I just feel like I should lose weight but maybe I'm wrong. Is 17% too high for body fat?

mr_fro2000 01-05-2013 06:18 PM

First off, it has only been a few weeks so I would continue to stay at it. Some people lose weight easier than others, but ultimately a calorie deficit will work.

Secondly, are you sure you are counting your calories correctly? If you are guestimating in your head, instead I would get a calorie counter and actually keep record.

Cameron 01-05-2013 06:58 PM

Yes I understand and I've been using a calorie counter and keeping track of everything...

Feņa14 01-05-2013 07:26 PM

The scales stay the same sometimes, out of nowhere they drop and very often it keeps going down for a few days. I believe when fat cells empty, they temporarily fill with water, when it goes is when you see the drop on the scales.

That usually happens for me after I let myself go a bit. I hadn't lost weight for a month before Christmas, I relaxed for a few days, put on 5 lbs in water weight and now a week into the new year, i'm 7lbs lighter than before Christmas! Weird how it happens like that.

EC230 01-05-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron (Post 7100408)
I'm a girl, sorry I didn't say that, and I will ask my trainers but I'm home for break so I'm not in contact with them at the moment. I guess I just feel like I should lose weight but maybe I'm wrong. Is 17% too high for body fat?

In my opinion, I really feel this is something you need to consult with your trainers and possibly a nutritionist first. The numbers that you have provided are all optimal values for someone of your build and gender, with the 17% body fat and BMI being just right. You have to understand, as a female your body fat percentage will always need to be higher than that of a male (from a biological and physiological stand point), so there should not be much reason for you to achieve a lower weight and body fat percentage.

If you're hoping to improve on court performance, then there should be an alternative to it rather than just losing weight, since losing weight for the sake of being lighter and having lower body fat percentage does not necessarily correlate to better athletic ability/performance...

JRstriker12 01-05-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EC230 (Post 7100544)
In my opinion, I really feel this is something you need to consult with your trainers and possibly a nutritionist first. The numbers that you have provided are all optimal values for someone of your build and gender, with the 17% body fat and BMI being just right. You have to understand, as a female your body fat percentage will always need to be higher than that of a male (from a biological and physiological stand point), so there should not be much reason for you to achieve a lower weight and body fat percentage.

If you're hoping to improve on court performance, then there should be an alternative to it rather than just losing weight, since losing weight for the sake of being lighter and having lower body fat percentage does not necessarily correlate to better athletic ability/performance...

Spot on!

The OP may want to set other fitness goals (specific goals for speed, agility, or endurance) and see if she can meet those first rather than simply worrying about weight.

achokshi99 01-06-2013 09:48 AM

You're in excellent shape based on the info you provided as a DI college female athlete. That bf is consistent with good female athletes but how was it measured - calipers, bod pod, or just one of those electronic scales or hand grips? The problem with the scales and grips is that they use an electric current to determine bf and tend to report a lower bf than what's really there. So your bf could be higher than 17%, but if it was with calipers (7pt test) or bod pod, it's legit.

The reason I ask if because if your bf is really 17%, my main question is why are you working out to lose weight vs just maintain your level of conditioning? Has your coach suggested it or do you feel you need to be lighter for speed purposes? If it's speed, I wouldn't worry about the weight and focus more on actual speed drills. If it was bf based on scales/grips and your "real" bf is 3-5% higher, then it would be less of an issue to drop weight.

But first off, at your level of conditioning if that 17% is spot on, it's going to just take longer to see any changes. How many weeks has it been, just before xmas = ~2 weeks? How many calories were you taking in before this diet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron (Post 7098627)
Hi everyone,

So I'm a DI college player and I'm 5'8'' 132 pounds and my body fat is 17.5. I've been home training really hard over the break to get ready for our spring season. I was trying to get in better shape and eat really healthy and lose some weight over the break. I've been eating 1200 calories and working out with weights and lots of cardio everyday plus tennis practice every day so I definitely have a deficit of the amount of calories I'm consuming and burning. And I'm also drinking a lot of water. I've been doing this since I got home before Christmas and have not lost a pound. I'm just super confused and frustrated that I haven't been successful and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So any advice you guys have would be so helpful. Thank you!!

Cameron 01-06-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EC230 (Post 7100544)

I think this is really good advice and I think you're right, no one has told me I need to lose weight I just thought I should and I'm a perfectionist so when I couldn't lose weight it frustrated me but I think it would be maybe unhealthy for me to lose weight as a DI athlete. Thank you for the advice and I will definitely talk to my trainer.

Cameron 01-06-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achokshi99 (Post 7101619)
You're in excellent shape based on the info you provided as a DI college female athlete. That bf is consistent with good female athletes but how was it measured - calipers, bod pod, or just one of those electronic scales or hand grips? The problem with the scales and grips is that they use an electric current to determine bf and tend to report a lower bf than what's really there. So your bf could be higher than 17%, but if it was with calipers (7pt test) or bod pod, it's legit.

The reason I ask if because if your bf is really 17%, my main question is why are you working out to lose weight vs just maintain your level of conditioning? Has your coach suggested it or do you feel you need to be lighter for speed purposes? If it's speed, I wouldn't worry about the weight and focus more on actual speed drills. If it was bf based on scales/grips and your "real" bf is 3-5% higher, then it would be less of an issue to drop weight.

But first off, at your level of conditioning if that 17% is spot on, it's going to just take longer to see any changes. How many weeks has it been, just before xmas = ~2 weeks? How many calories were you taking in before this diet?

I took a body composition test at my school which is supposed to be more accurate than a bod pod. It reads bf, weight of different body parts, hydration, lean muscle mass and all this other stuff so it's pretty legit. And no one suggested I need to lose weight actually they probably wouldn't be happy if they knew I was trying so maybe I should just focus on getting in the best shape possible. Thanks for your help.

pvaudio 01-06-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron (Post 7098627)
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry, but would you mind posting a picture of your physique? Cover your face if you wish, but I truly cannot picture a D1 level athlete who is that skinny but yet not mostly muscular. If anything, you could stand to gain at least 10lbs of LBM. Those four things usually are found in pairs maybe (5.8 and a D1 player or 132lbs and 17.5PBF, but not all on the same person). I am very curious as to what you look like if you think you need to lose body fat instead of gain muscle.

pvaudio 01-06-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron (Post 7100408)

Ah, this changes the picture entirely. Your stats are actually spot on for a high level female athlete. Disregard my prior post, I assumed you were a male Cameron. :)