Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do you think Nadal will try the new Steam? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=449961)

sandiegoman 01-05-2013 09:07 AM

Do you think Nadal will try the new Steam?

Do you think his spin will increase?

v-verb 01-05-2013 09:36 AM

Probably already has

cork_screw 01-05-2013 11:21 AM

LOL (and I don't normally use lol, but this warrants it). Nadal has a sweet deal with aeropro drive, his contract is massive, the thing he's been using for the last 8 years or so with 11 GS titles. I don't think he would even think about leaving babolat.

The man aligns his water bottles a certain way, you don't think he's particular or feels similar to his own personal equipment?

carlosoki 01-05-2013 11:31 AM

Absolutely no.

I donīt think Steam 99s is for an ATP player. I think is buit for club players.

AbsoluTennis 01-05-2013 11:56 AM

Pros create speed with their technique and athletics...they will never use 16/15.
actually i d like to know how many players of the top 100 play 18/20 and how many 16/19 or 20....

Radical7 01-05-2013 01:42 PM

I do not think Nadal will ever split with Babolat, does he not have a lifetime contract like Fed and Wilson?

However I disagree about pros in general, If the Spin Effects technology catches on other companies, such as Babolat, will put out a racquet with a similar string pattern.

Also there are pros such as Kvitova and Nishikori who use the older steam. As long as it isn't some 105 square inch slingshot, there will be pros using it.

ChicagoJack 01-05-2013 01:50 PM

deleted 10 char.

babyhagrid 01-05-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluTennis (Post 7099838)
Pros create speed with their technique and athletics...they will never use 16/15.
actually i d like to know how many players of the top 100 play 18/20 and how many 16/19 or 20....

Agreed, it's the Indian rather than the arrow that counts..... or in this case the Spaniard rather than the racquet. Silly string pattern fads are no replacement fir proper technique and good old RHS.

sureshs 01-05-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluTennis (Post 7099838)

What about that doubles guy

Rock Strongo 01-05-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7100089)
What about that doubles guy

Mark Woodforde?

He actually used and still uses a racquet with a (get this) 12x13 string pattern!

ChicagoJack 01-05-2013 03:57 PM

1. Mark Woodforde played with a Frankenracquet inspired by his old Snauwert Hi-Ten built from a PS 7.5 mold with a custom 12 x 16 drill pattern.

2. While there have been many open pattern frames made in the graphite era, to the best of my knowledge, there are no current or past frames with fewer crosses than mains. If fewer crosses than mains doesn't register like an earth shattering event, I've no problem with that, but it is the key distinction here. Open patterns of the past were born out of the ancient wisdom (Mid 80's to 2005), that ball to string friction ball "bite" is the primary way to increase spin. Recent studies 2005-2011 conclude that ball "bite" matters only if the strings are moving. Reducing the number of crosses, dramatically reduces inter string friction, and promotes string movement.

3. I have posted about this in much greater detail here.

- Jack

pshulam 01-05-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

..dramatically reduces inter string friction, and promotes string movement.
At the same token, increased string movement lowers longevity/lifespan of the string.

cknobman 01-06-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshulam (Post 7100301)
At the same token, increased string movement lowers longevity/lifespan of the string.

Not really an issue with polyester string.

If you research the Steam 99S and the string pattern you will find out that Wilson developed it specifically for polyester strings.

DownTheLineWith90 01-06-2013 07:38 AM

I wish he tried it with RPM at 15 gauge.
Spin of insanity right there..

pshulam 01-06-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7099602)
Probably already has

If he likes it, he would advise Bab to put out a new racquet called the "Fire" with a similar string pattern.:)

mad dog1 01-06-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshulam (Post 7102123)
If he likes it, he would advise Bab to put out a new racquet called the "Fire" with a similar string pattern.:)

actually, it would be "El Fuego".

SteveI 01-06-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegoman (Post 7099548)
Do you think his spin will increase?

I am sure it would increase his spin... the only problem is he needs to find a way to get back on the court long term. I guess the 1st course of action would be to play shorter points, lose some muscle (stop taking whatever PEDS he is taking) and get his joints back to normal. Once he stops taking the PEDS his rarking will fall and he will have to leave the tour. Stick a fork in him.. he is done. Fed will be playing until he is 40....Rafa will be lucky to play into his 30s. He should be with Wilson... not using the Steam... but the Juice...:twisted:

yonexRx32 01-06-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cknobman (Post 7101227)
Not really an issue with polyester string.

If you research the Steam 99S and the string pattern you will find out that Wilson developed it specifically for polyester strings.

I am sure that a LOOOOOOT of RESEARCH :rolleyes: has gone into that racket and that there are countless 99s fans ready to educate us on that and the fact that we need to buy very many of them. They, the 99s fans, have already figured out that Nadal has tried it out :rolleyes:. No doubt Kim Kardashian will try it next .. That Wilson developed the racket specifically for polyester says a lot. We're talking rocket science here .. bottle rocket that is.

cknobman 01-07-2013 06:19 AM

LOL yonex.

Im not promoting the 99s, saying I buy into the marketing, or trying to imply anyone notable has tried it or will try it.

I did watch one of the Wilson promo videos for the 99s and the new "spin effect" technology.

Their explanation was that polyester strings move more freely and snap back into position after making impact with the ball. That is why players dont have to "adjust" their poly strings in between points as much when compared to non polyester string. Ball impact makes all string move but non polyesters dont move back into their original positions like polyesters do which ends up making the strings be out of position after rallies.

So Wilsons thought was making a less dense string pattern and using a polyester string would allow the string to move even more. Since the string could move more it would impart more spin on the ball because it snapped back more.

You can go watch Wilsons video explaining it all its too much for me to type here.
Again not saying I am promoting it, I am just explaining Wilsons reasoning for it.

maverick1981 01-07-2013 06:57 AM

the pros are cover men for the company marketing. who knows what sticks they really use - they paint their real stick to match the company they are contracted with. happens all the time.

However for the 99s case - lets see if Wilson can get a pro player to actually use it, hard to disguise the string pattern!