Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   appropriate add for babolat in light of sandy hook (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450003)

Pro_Tour_630 01-05-2013 05:23 PM

appropriate add for babolat in light of sandy hook

New promo photo ad from Babolat for their new logo, what do you think? is it appropriate to have an ad like this in our tennis circle for our kids? especially when the blood of sandy hook is still warm:cry: what if Wilson came up with the ad? what would be the response?

Soianka 01-05-2013 05:47 PM

I don't really see the connection to Sandy Hook.

BMC9670 01-05-2013 05:57 PM

I think inappropriate is a stretch... I just don't think it's particularly good marketing. Pretty lame IMO.

Pro_Tour_630 01-05-2013 06:05 PM

we are trying to promote less violence to our kids and here we have a company that appeals to Jr's parading their top stars pretending to use highly illegal flame throwers, bombs, dynamite sticks, rockets etc.... as being cool

Number1Coach 01-05-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7100396)
we are trying to promote less violence to our kids and here we have a company that appeals to Jr's parading their top stars pretending to use highly illegal flame throwers, bombs, dynamite sticks, rockets etc.... as being cool

Speed limit is 75 mph nation wide , we promote cars ad's on TV from all company's that exceed speeds of 100, 150 , 180 mph right off the show room floor and there were some 10,000 speed related deaths in 2010 alone and a 16 yr old can purchase one of these weapons of mass destruction .

Yet the intelligent person realizes that its not the car that kill but the lawbreaker that usually is at fault .

The ad is alright with me cause I am a law abiding citizen and I understand the context .

BTW the kid at SandyHook was addicted to 'Call of Duty " but trust me that had nothing to do with his mindset .

Bartelby 01-05-2013 06:36 PM

Its not a good idea to associate a sport like tennis with militarized images of violence, unless it's done in some sort of mockingly ironic way which could be the case here.

Bartelby 01-05-2013 06:42 PM

Its too simple to split apart the driver from the vehicle in this kind of manner.

So the intelligent person realizes that this is in fact the case.

Does a tennis player hit a ball out or is it his racquet?, or as with a driver is it is a question of the functional unit created by the hands holding a tool?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7100435)
Speed limit is 75 mph nation wide , we promote cars ad's on TV from all company's that exceed speeds of 100, 150 , 180 mph right off the show room floor and there were some 10,000 speed related deaths in 2010 alone and a 16 yr old can purchase one of these weapons of mass destruction .

Yet the intelligent person realizes that its not the car that kill but the lawbreaker that usually is at fault .

The ad is alright with me cause I am a law abiding citizen and I understand the context .

BTW the kid at SandyHook was addicted to 'Call of Duty " but trust me that had nothing to do with his mindset .

BMC9670 01-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7100396)

I agree that as a society, we promote too much violence. I don't let my kids play violent video games, see movies or watch TV programs that are violent or above their maturity level. I don't own a firearm. But I just don't find this ad threatening. I showed it to my 10 year old and asked him what he thought the message of the ad was and he said "that Babolat rackets have power". So, I take back my earlier comment, maybe it is good marketing.

Number1Coach 01-05-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7100447)
Its too simple to split apart the driver from the vehicle in this kind of manner.

So the intelligent person realizes that this is in fact the case.

Does a tennis player hit a ball out or is it his racquet?, or as with a driver is it is a question of the functional unit created by the hands holding a tool?

There are some 90,000 plus death due to medical malpractice each year therefore we should outlaw DRs. and not promote going to hospitals !!!

just change a few words in my statement to weapons and you agree big time right ???

How stupid have we become here in the USA ???

Number1Coach 01-05-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7100482)
I agree that as a society, we promote too much violence. I don't let my kids play violent video games, see movies or watch TV programs that are violent or above their maturity level. I don't own a firearm. But I just don't find this ad threatening. I showed it to my 10 year old and asked him what he thought the message of the ad was and he said "that Babolat rackets have power". So, I take back my earlier comment, maybe it is good marketing.

You have shown great intelligence and have my respect ! really you do not that I am anything but bravo to you .

Bartelby 01-05-2013 07:23 PM

That doesn't work as an argument in rebuttal at any level.

You're merely restating your idea that the person is responsble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7100484)
There are some 90,000 plus death due to medical malpractice each year therefore we should outlaw DRs. and not promote going to hospitals !!!

just change a few words in my statement to weapons and you agree big time right ???

How stupid have we become here in the USA ???

SoBad 01-05-2013 07:37 PM

What is the significance of the red pressure tanks (fire extinguishers?) connected to Nadal's abdomen in the photo?

Bartelby 01-05-2013 07:59 PM

It's supposed to be a welding device/blow torch, I think.

SoBad 01-05-2013 08:01 PM

Oh, it's supposed to be connected to the hoop of the frame, not Nadal's abdomen?

Maui19 01-06-2013 03:42 AM

It's just a dumb ad.

Bartelby 01-06-2013 03:50 AM

One dumb ad here and there does not matter, but the world is full of them.

coaching32yrs 01-06-2013 04:37 AM

It is an idiotic ad to run in the U.S. We have a national tragedy in this country with the amount of gun deaths, that it is 10 times or more the rate of any other industrialized country.

Pro_Tour_630 01-06-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7100435)

we are talking about guns, violent weapons in tennis

many 10 year olds do not understand a thing ( maybe not yours) , especially a kid wanting a babolat because nadal has one now he wants a flame thrower as well.

it is a combination of all, it is black ops, mental illness, divorced parents, guns, bullying, drugs etc.... and the 1% factor that we do not know yet. It was the perfect storm. only we do not need to add to the perfect storm if we don't have to, especially in our so called perfect sport, thats all.

Pro_Tour_630 01-06-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7100482)

i showed it to my 10 year old and he said, they have a flame thrower in black oops, as well as dynamite and bombs and rockets. My son said he wants a rocket launcher when he grows up!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,, great now not only he wants a babolat like nadal he wants a rocket launcher and a flame thrower, see the point, I cracked all the black ops and gears of war games in half, now I have to worry about STUPID babolat ads that have no place in tennis.

Pro_Tour_630 01-06-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7101112)
It is an idiotic ad to run in the U.S. We have a national tragedy in this country with the amount of gun deaths, that it is 10 times or more the rate of any other industrialized country.

It is an idiotic ad, being a french company they probably did not know any better, but if that was Wilson a US company, trust me heads will role. The marketing team will be fired.