Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can you believe how weak the 2013-2017 clay era will be? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450059)

RAFA2005RG 01-06-2013 08:53 AM

Can you believe how weak the 2013-2017 clay era will be?
 

Once Djokovic and Federer drop-off, who will challenge Nadal on clay? Murray? Nadal has a severe stranglehold over Murray at the slams of late. Nadal beat Murray in all 3 of their slam meetings in 2011. That is crazy. That's not to say Murray can't beat Nadal at hardcourt slams, as we already saw he did back in 2010 and 2008. But Roland Garros is the last slam Murray would be able to hurt Nadal at. Even winning a set will be a struggle for Murray at Roland Garros. So I don't see him doing anything that Federer and Djokovic couldn't do.

Even in 2012, Nadal most injury prone year, Nadal won Monte Carlo in straight sets, Barcelona in straight sets, Rome in straight sets, and only dropped one set at Roland Garros. So when Djokovic drops off, and Federer drops off, who is there to take a set from Nadal? Tomic's worst surface is clay. Raonic's worst surface is clay. It is surreal how weak the 2013-2017 clay era will be. On top of that, Nadal has said he will focus on clay now, and avoid some of the hardcourt events. He's increased his claycourt schedule which now begins in February. You thought Nadal dominated 2005-2012.....that was only the beginning.

Ico 01-06-2013 09:02 AM

Amusing drivel. Nadal will "drop off" before Djokovic, maybe even before Federer.

RAFA2005RG 01-06-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ico (Post 7101487)
Amusing drivel. Nadal will "drop off" before Djokovic, maybe even before Federer.

That's funny, because if you compare 2011 Djokovic to 2012 Djokovic, clearly Djokovic dropped off on clay.

And if you compare 2011 Federer to 2012 Federer, clearly Federer dropped off on clay.

If you compare 2011 Nadal to 2012 Nadal, well its no contest, 2012 Nadal was FAR better on clay.

So your post has already been disproved. And 2012 Nadal disproved it without even being healthy. Now he's well rested and focusing on clay more than ever in 2013. Heck, he's already training on clay while the others slug it out on slow hardcourt. Like I said, this is only the beginning.

The Bawss 01-06-2013 09:10 AM

Just noticed that the statue of Nadal is holding a Wilson PS or K.Six.One...hahah like Nadal could handle those sticks!

Rock Strongo 01-06-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7101522)
Just noticed that the statue of Nadal is holding a Wilson PS or K.Six.One...hahah like Nadal could handle those sticks!

LOL I noticed that too but I didn't want to reply as these threads deserve to die:p

Seems like a 95 18x20, like he would ever use that!

The Bawss 01-06-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Strongo (Post 7101539)
LOL I noticed that too but I didn't want to reply as these threads deserve to die:p

Seems like a 95 18x20, like he would ever use that!

It's a 16x19 (yes I sat here squinting and counting).

tennis_pro 01-06-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7101503)
That's funny, because if you compare 2011 Djokovic to 2012 Djokovic, clearly Djokovic dropped off on clay.

And if you compare 2011 Federer to 2012 Federer, clearly Federer dropped off on clay.

If you compare 2011 Nadal to 2012 Nadal, well its no contest, 2012 Nadal was FAR better on clay.

So your post has already been disproved. And 2012 Nadal disproved it without even being healthy. Now he's well rested and focusing on clay more than ever in 2013. Heck, he's already training on clay while the others slug it out on slow hardcourt. Like I said, this is only the beginning.

In 2011, compared to 2010 Djokovic, Murray and Federer had way better results on clay while Nadal had worse.

kalyan4fedever 01-06-2013 09:28 AM

david ferrer, almagro can easily take out murraa on clay. He would need some divine intervention to reach the final on RG lol. Anyway where is this rafa statue

Rock Strongo 01-06-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7101553)
It's a 16x19 (yes I sat here squinting and counting).

You're right, I gave up halfway!

The Bawss 01-06-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7101577)
Anyway where is this rafa statue

Shanghai, I believe.

90's Clay 01-06-2013 10:13 AM

Clay competition has been weak since the early-mid 90s.

This is nothing new. We haven't had any real clay depth since then

underground 01-06-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7101462)
But Roland Garros is the last slam Murray would be able to hurt Nadal at.

That means Roland Garros would be the FIRST slam Murray WOULD be able to hurt Nadal at? Logic fail. :lol:

Homeboy Hotel 01-06-2013 11:03 AM

I thought Roland Garros 2011 between Murray and Nadal was a pretty tight match...had hundreds of break point opportunities.

So close to beating Nadal in Monte Carlo too...

smoledman 01-06-2013 11:43 AM

Nadal has yet to not have a dominant clay court season since 2005. Until that happens, it's still 2005-present the "Rafael Nadal Clay Court Season".

Sabratha 01-06-2013 11:46 AM

Nadal will be finished by 2015.

smoledman 01-06-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 7101830)
Nadal will be finished by 2015.

Yeah keep believing that. Nadal will outlast all of them. He'll play to 2019.

kishnabe 01-06-2013 12:24 PM

Nadal has stiff competition against his knees.

SwankPeRFection 01-06-2013 12:40 PM

I'm going to be laughing when RG rolls around and Nadal has another press release that he won't be playing because he has a pair of shorts stuck up his *** or something else.... he can't use stomach ache again this year.

I'm amazed at how many people dismiss Fed so quickly because he's not winning slam after slam like people expect him to, but completely overlook the fact that he's probably the only player in the top 10 who's played more back to back matches than anyone else and has been the healthiest of all. That in it of itself is amazing because everyone else is falling apart around the old man. lol

90's Clay 01-06-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7101926)
I'm going to be laughing when RG rolls around and Nadal has another press release that he won't be playing because he has a pair of shorts stuck up his *** or something else.... he can't use stomach ache again this year.

I'm amazed at how many people dismiss Fed so quickly because he's not winning slam after slam like people expect him to, but completely overlook the fact that he's probably the only player in the top 10 who's played more back to back matches than anyone else and has been the healthiest of all. That in it of itself is amazing because everyone else is falling apart around the old man. lol



He has 7 French Open titles, in 8 years.. If he never plays RG again, hes still hand down GOAT there. I think thats enough. ANd he will probably always be clay GOAT since its much more difficult to dominate on that surface then it is other surfaces

smoledman 01-06-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7101926)
I'm going to be laughing when RG rolls around and Nadal has another press release that he won't be playing because he has a pair of shorts stuck up his *** or something else.... he can't use stomach ache again this year.

I'm amazed at how many people dismiss Fed so quickly because he's not winning slam after slam like people expect him to, but completely overlook the fact that he's probably the only player in the top 10 who's played more back to back matches than anyone else and has been the healthiest of all. That in it of itself is amazing because everyone else is falling apart around the old man. lol

Djokovic played more matches in 2012 and more back to back as well.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse