Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Trying to play D3 Collegiate Tennis. Evaluate my Serve? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450092)

BirdWalkR 01-06-2013 02:36 PM

Trying to play D3 Collegiate Tennis. Evaluate my Serve?
 
So this may be a lofty goal but I'm a freshman in college looking to transfer somewhere to play some D3 tennis in about a year or two. From what I could gather D3 generally seems to about 4.5 levelish.. although it depends on the program i suppose. I don't expect my serves to really be college level yet (I go to a D1 school and their serves are insane!) but at least on the right track for improvement. Can someone please give me some tips/advice/critique? Both technical advice and tactical advice? I plan to upload some groundstrokes pretty soon too.

Serves (Using a cheap walmart racquet at the moment since I have broken the strings)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE17IDMNq2Y

Edit:
Went out and took a new vid. Focused on tossing the ball more in front of me. Felt a little awkward but can someone tell me if this is a step in the right direction?

New Serve (Toss more in front)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFxQWNmjYE

luvforty 01-06-2013 02:50 PM

not bad with a walmart racket (well, actually most graphite rackets perform quite similarly, despite what the racket companies trying to tell you).

can you take one from the side?

can't be 100% sure, but your toss is not forward enough into the court.... usually the left foot lands where the contact point is... yours landed right on the baseline lol.... should be 1-2 ft into the court.

this will allow you to put the weight into the shot.

overall pretty good slice serve.... you can develop a kick to open up both corners.

BirdWalkR 01-06-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7102133)
not bad with a walmart racket (well, actually most graphite rackets perform quite similarly, despite what the racket companies trying to tell you).

can you take one from the side?

can't be 100% sure, but your toss is not forward enough into the court.... usually the left foot lands where the contact point is... yours landed right on the baseline lol.... should be 1-2 ft into the court.

this will allow you to put the weight into the shot.

overall pretty good slice serve.... you can develop a kick to open up both corners.

Thanks for the feedback mate just one question. Should I keep my toss location the same just 1-2 feet forward or should I move my toss to the right more?

luvforty 01-06-2013 03:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTg9gpMtAmw

I like his explanation.

psv255 01-06-2013 03:33 PM

You have a quite a live arm, always good!
Make sure your tossing arm is more vertical before you start your swing; it'll help align the shoulders and help transfer energy better.

Overall, a very good serve, uses the legs nicely.
I'd second what luvforty has already said about the toss, move it up a slight bit but don't toss any more to the right; ideally a slice serve toss should be between your head and right shoulder at contact.

Tactically, a slice serve out side on the deuce side could be a formidable weapon if you work on it!
Good luck!

BirdWalkR 01-06-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7102186)

Interesting video thanks for sharing it

Quote:

Originally Posted by psv255 (Post 7102202)
You have a quite a live arm, always good!
Make sure your tossing arm is more vertical before you start your swing; it'll help align the shoulders and help transfer energy better.

Overall, a very good serve, uses the legs nicely.
I'd second what luvforty has already said about the toss, move it up a slight bit but don't toss any more to the right; ideally a slice serve toss should be between your head and right shoulder at contact.

Tactically, a slice serve out side on the deuce side could be a formidable weapon if you work on it!
Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! I've always had a quick fire motion so i've always found it hard to have a full vertical tossing arm. something to definitley practice though

pvaudio 01-06-2013 06:14 PM

I remember your other serving thread. Your motion looks slightly different, but the same issue still exists: the toss location. Everyone above already covered that rather succinctly, so best of luck :)

BirdWalkR 01-06-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7102473)
I remember your other serving thread. Your motion looks slightly different, but the same issue still exists: the toss location. Everyone above already covered that rather succinctly, so best of luck :)

Yeah took a break from video analysis for a while to focus on consistency and pace without worrying about the technical things haha. not sure if this was a good or bad thing but i feel my serve has turned into an asset rather than a liability

TennisNinja 01-06-2013 07:56 PM

I play DIII tennis and depending on the team your serve could definitely hold up. It's definitely a fun experience.

BirdWalkR 01-06-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisNinja (Post 7102611)
I play DIII tennis and depending on the team your serve could definitely hold up. It's definitely a fun experience.

Thanks for the comment! Def confidence boosting hearing from a college player themselves. Judging by your college vid I've still got some work to do on groundies and getting a little more pace on my serve but hopefully i can pull it together

BirdWalkR 01-07-2013 08:54 AM

Went out and took a new vid. Focused on tossing the ball more in front of me. Felt a little awkward but can someone tell me if this is a step in the right direction?

New Serve (Toss more in front)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFxQWNmjYE

sureshs 01-07-2013 09:02 AM

A real man is one who hits the back fence in one bounce. Till that time, you got to keep on improving.

pvaudio 01-07-2013 09:07 AM

As I said in your prior thread, your energy is rotational only. You spin about your center to try to generate momentum to hit the ball. Rather, you need to be swinging upwards at the ball. The first thing to fix is to bring that toss further to the right as it's causing you to spin left. Keep your tossing arm straight up and pointed at the ball (which is impossible if your toss is flying to one side).

pvaudio 01-07-2013 09:12 AM

This is you before:


This is you now:


Get your body truly coiled by having your tossing arm NOT stop going up after the release. Keep it pointed at the ball, and your body will naturally release its potential energy. I hate to use physics terms, but it is true.

BirdWalkR 01-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7103505)
A real man is one who hits the back fence in one bounce. Till that time, you got to keep on improving.

At least I'm somewhat close haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7103522)
As I said in your prior thread, your energy is rotational only. You spin about your center to try to generate momentum to hit the ball. Rather, you need to be swinging upwards at the ball. The first thing to fix is to bring that toss further to the right as it's causing you to spin left. Keep your tossing arm straight up and pointed at the ball (which is impossible if your toss is flying to one side).

Ahh I see what you're saying. So the majority of my energy should be going into exploding up into the ball? I see what your saying it looks as if im just collapsing onto the ball and falling onto my left side. And would you say working on my vertical arm toss should be my first priority?

BirdWalkR 01-07-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7103529)
This is you before:


This is you now:


Get your body truly coiled by having your tossing arm NOT stop going up after the release. Keep it pointed at the ball, and your body will naturally release its potential energy. I hate to use physics terms, but it is true.

Appreciate the visuals helps me see exactly I need to work on. I've had a tendency to think that the vertical arm thing was more preference and a consistency thing but I guess I've been robbing myself of pace. Gotta hit the courts soon and practice it

pvaudio 01-07-2013 09:18 AM

Yes, most if not all of your energy should be headed upwards, not to the side, and not forward (contrary to common thought). Your wrist snap brings the ball down into the court, so the more energy you can transfer upwards towards the ball, the more that is going into your racquethead speed.

In my opinion, yes, the tossing arm and getting a consistent toss location should be first. Others may disagree.

boramiNYC 01-07-2013 09:20 AM

your rotation is a little too much and abrupt resulting in flattish ball speed but sacrificing the topspin and control. try to increase the speed without rotating at all and slowly incorporate rotation later. if you slow the rotation and brush up the back of the ball that would be your second serve and it would be one of the most important shot to master for competition. toss into the court and above your head and lean into the court sideway to control the trajectory. master this before trying to speed up the serve with rotation.

mikeler 01-07-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7103541)
Yes, most if not all of your energy should be headed upwards, not to the side, and not forward (contrary to common thought). Your wrist snap brings the ball down into the court, so the more energy you can transfer upwards towards the ball, the more that is going into your racquethead speed.

In my opinion, yes, the tossing arm and getting a consistent toss location should be first. Others may disagree.


My best serving days also coincide with my best tossing days.

luvforty 01-07-2013 09:36 AM

you have a decent trophy position with the back facing the target;

but that energy is wasted on the hitch at the racket drop.. you basically turn counterclock to face the ball, pause, then swing up with the arm.

the uncoiling of the core is a major contributor.. i think if you can put that into the ball, you will be able to hit what suresh calls a 'man serve' lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRqdbBEzUM

notice his body language from the trophy to the racket drop, no pause... the unwind of the chest is followed seamlessly by the unwind or the arm.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse