Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yonex 98 XI users (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450101)

acura9927 01-06-2013 05:31 PM

Yonex 98 XI users

Whats your string set up? I am at 52 pds with NXT Tour and the Jeez, the stick has lots of POWER. I've never had a racquet or demoed one so powerful.
Too much I think, but dont want to restring higher tension cause stringing is not cheap. Got to adjust my stroke versus when I used the Bio 300 Tour.

Edit this is for the Ezone

Anton 01-06-2013 07:06 PM

Ezone xi98 needs more then 52 lbs I feel - it's a 16x19 98" frame, though with a bit shortened mains.

Playing with a demo right now and with synthetic gut at what feels like around 60 lbs it feels good - power is very manageable and I feel confident going for flat shots as well as spinning in the short low balls. That's with a leather grip and a bit of lead on 10 and 2.

Getting my new one strung up with 16 NXT2 mains and 16 Hyperion crosses at 60lbs - that should really dampen this crisp frame and make for tons of spin.

acura9927 01-06-2013 07:23 PM

60 lbs is the highest Yonex recommends for the 98 Ezone XI, your elbow can take that? I should have stuck with RIP Control, this NXT Tour is just too lively. Its still an excellent feeling string just too much power added to a powerful frame.

XFactorer 01-06-2013 09:34 PM

I like to use Yonex PolyTour Spin at 45. It's GOLDEN!!! (well, the string is blue)

Anton 01-12-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acura9927 (Post 7102555)
60 lbs is the highest Yonex recommends for the 98 Ezone XI, your elbow can take that? I should have stuck with RIP Control, this NXT Tour is just too lively. Its still an excellent feeling string just too much power added to a powerful frame.

I meant NRG2, played with it today - very comfy and the soft Hyperion poly lets NRG2 move quite a bit even at 60 lbs

I may go to 62 next time

Shaochieh 01-12-2013 01:57 PM

I play rhis stick as my main racket and I use cyclone 17 around 57lbs.

SJSA 01-12-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acura9927 (Post 7102555)

I agree with you. Go for Rip Control and it will reduce the power.

mirceam 01-13-2013 10:50 AM

Luxilon ALU Power strung at 48/46 lbs. With a low power poly i think I can go lower

Anton 01-15-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirceam (Post 7116800)
Luxilon ALU Power strung at 48/46 lbs. With a low power poly i think I can go lower

EZONE XI 98?

RollTrackTake 01-16-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7124063)
EZONE XI 98?

Anton have you given a review on the Ezone XI 98? I've been curious as to how it compares to the Donnay Pro 1 97 being that the listed specs or so similar.

Anton 01-17-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7126879)
Anton have you given a review on the Ezone XI 98? I've been curious as to how it compares to the Donnay Pro 1 97 being that the listed specs or so similar.

xi98 is easier to swing, feels more crisp and is more solid per weight.

Yonex does have a bit thicker frame but it still plays like you have more stringbed to work with than the 97.

keep in mind, I never did warm up to Pro One 97, it swung too heavy for the stability and the sweetspot I was getting. It felt good once I added enough weight, but at that weight it swung like a log.

mirceam 01-17-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7124063)
EZONE XI 98?

No. Vcore 98Xi

RollTrackTake 01-17-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7129614)
xi98 is easier to swing, feels more crisp and is more solid per weight.

Yonex does have a bit thicker frame but it still plays like you have more stringbed to work with than the 97.

keep in mind, I never did warm up to Pro One 97, it swung too heavy for the stability and the sweetspot I was getting. It felt good once I added enough weight, but at that weight it swung like a log.

Thanks Anton. I've been meaning to try out the Ezone XI 98 for quite some time now. The one observation you made that its easier to swing is key. when i'm on the run and really stretched with the Pro 1 i can't whip it as quickly as i'd like consistently. i've noticed this more playing more advanced players this past fall season. what worries me about the yonex is that I played with the RQ-380 back in the day and didn't get used to the head shape. The reviews of the Ezone XI 98, Yonex's reputation for building quality, very near to spec frames and the specs are enough to give it a go though. I'll probably demo and hit it side by side with my P1. Now if only they dropped the price since they've got the new version I'd really be in trouble!

Brian11785 01-17-2013 12:19 PM

How does the EZONE XI 98 match up compared to the RQIS 1 Tour XL (the prior racquet that Ivanovic endorsed/"used")?

I have no intention of switching from the XL (I've been using if for several months now) anytime soon, but it'd be pretty funny if I did progress to the EZONE when I do (see: when they are on the $79.99 aisle at TW.) Funny since Ivanovic is probably one of my least favorite WTA players to watch.

Anton 01-18-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian11785 (Post 7129773)
How does the EZONE XI 98 match up compared to the RQIS 1 Tour XL (the prior racquet that Ivanovic endorsed/"used")?

I have no intention of switching from the XL (I've been using if for several months now) anytime soon, but it'd be pretty funny if I did progress to the EZONE when I do (see: when they are on the $79.99 aisle at TW.) Funny since Ivanovic is probably one of my least favorite WTA players to watch.

Never played with that one, 25 mm hoop with 95" head just didn't make any sense to me.

Anton 01-18-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7129759)
Thanks Anton. I've been meaning to try out the Ezone XI 98 for quite some time now. The one observation you made that its easier to swing is key. when i'm on the run and really stretched with the Pro 1 i can't whip it as quickly as i'd like consistently. i've noticed this more playing more advanced players this past fall season. what worries me about the yonex is that I played with the RQ-380 back in the day and didn't get used to the head shape. The reviews of the Ezone XI 98, Yonex's reputation for building quality, very near to spec frames and the specs are enough to give it a go though. I'll probably demo and hit it side by side with my P1. Now if only they dropped the price since they've got the new version I'd really be in trouble!

Yep Ezone should be better defensively because of overall better strigbed stability and quicker swing. In the pro one, without some weighting, ball would die if hit outside the low sweet spot.

Brian11785 01-18-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7132186)
Never played with that one, 25 mm hoop with 95" head just didn't make any sense to me.

True. Though I hit pretty flat, so it isn't as much of an issue. The 95 is plenty big for my purposes. The weight and balance are spot on for me though.

I look forward to doing a curiosity demo of some of the newer Yonexes (EZONE 98, VCORE XI 98, 95D, etc.) once it warms up a little.

tendat 01-18-2013 01:52 PM

I have been using the ezone xi 98 since october and love it. it replaced my vcore 98 which cracked -_- I use poly tour spin 60/58 in my main racket and in the other 58/56. Definitely a powerful racket. but thanks to the (low powered?) string which has 5 sides, and the 16/19 string pattern i can keep it in with the spin. Im thinking of trying out the poly tour pro in it which i used in my vcore. has anyone tried it in the ezone xi 98? tension? Also thinking of poly tour hs the green one. many say it is very low powered which would tame the xi 98. I cant imagine stringing at such low tensions

martini1 01-18-2013 04:33 PM

I finally got to play with my new ezone xi 98. First string job is the rip control full bed at 55. The stick got pretty good control and enough power. It is less powerful than what I have expected, after reading others' reviews.

After the first session the strings are already moving! I could tell a better set up for me would be poly mains ans perhaps a few more grams on 10 and 2.

Btw, the head shape feels very round on this stick. I don't feel like playing a square shape head at all.

Anton 01-19-2013 07:09 PM

Played with leather and 2grams at at bit lower than 10&2.. Had trouble controlling the ball on full stroke, just couldn't get the easy spin from load and release of the wrist, so I moved the lead up about an inch and a half...wow crazy difference, that really changed the way racket hit for me. Now I could really get a nice load up weight and just let the racket fly through the stroke for solid pace and spin that really brought the balls down.

So my advice is to play around with the lead on this one, it seems to be very sensitive to even minor changes