Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mike Shanahan, thank god you don't ref boxing matches (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450116)

christo 01-06-2013 09:54 PM

Mike Shanahan, thank god you don't ref boxing matches

If you did there would be bodies piling up. RGIII is useless on one leg, really probably should not have even started. If Doc Andrews says he's scared spitless then you should be as well. How many injections has he taken in that knee in the last month or so? Do you know or even care? You ought to cos it's your *** as well. Remember Terrell Davis, you ran him into the ground also.:shock:

stringertom 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

Cousins should have started last week vs Dallas. With him, I think the Skins still beat the Cowboys and could have moved on vs Seattle with some continuity. Seattle still would have won but it probably would have been closer.

volleygirl 01-07-2013 08:52 AM

Unbelieveable to leave a guy in there who cant even defend himself. He reminded me of Mel Gibson in the Road Warrior movie where he was just dragging his one leg around.

NickC 01-07-2013 10:03 AM

And let's not forget he's a rookie. He's got plenty of time ahead of him and the fans and management know that. He could have seriously damaged his knee out there and done long-term damage. Stupid move.

acura9927 01-07-2013 10:29 AM

Those knees are worth millions it looked like a twig on replays.

El Diablo 01-07-2013 11:06 AM

I think management knows he probably DOESN'T have lots of time ahead of him. A quarterback in that league who's built like a hurdler and who runs frequently is unlikely to have a long career.

sapient007 01-07-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7102732)
If you did there would be bodies piling up. RGIII is useless on one leg, really probably should not have even started. If Doc Andrews says he's scared spitless then you should be as well. How many injections has he taken in that knee in the last month or so? Do you know or even care? You ought to cos it's your *** as well. Remember Terrell Davis, you ran him into the ground also.:shock:

i feel the same way. he doesn't care about his players.. just his own *****.. good thing i'm not a foreskins fan

jonnythan 01-07-2013 11:29 AM

It's the NFL playoffs. It's the Washington Redskins. Gotta make the most of this chance.

ollinger 01-07-2013 11:35 AM

The average running back in the NFL lasts 3 years. T. Davis had an unusually long career of I believe 8 years.

r2473 01-07-2013 11:49 AM

I'm sure Shanahan tested RG3 for a concussion and it came up negative.

And as far as I know, Shanahan didn't place a bounty on RG3 either.

So I really don't see where he did anything wrong.

volleygirl 01-07-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7103842)
The average running back in the NFL lasts 3 years. T. Davis had an unusually long career of I believe 8 years.

Those stats are so misleading its not even worth saying it. Guys who are RBs who barely make the team then are cut half way thru the season are why they last only 3 years. Look at how many guys who are actually starting RBs and look at how long they have been in the league. I know they dont have near the longevity of QBs but they certainly usually hang around longer than 3 years.

volleygirl 01-07-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7103866)
I'm sure Shanahan tested RG3 for a concussion and it came up negative.

And as far as I know, Shanahan didn't place a bounty on RG3 either.

So I really don't see where he did anything wrong.

Did you even watch the game? His leg was being dragged on the field as he made his way back to the huddle. I couldnt believe he even played after halftime the way he was moving around.

r2473 01-07-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7103927)
Did you even watch the game? His leg was being dragged on the field as he made his way back to the huddle. I couldnt believe he even played after halftime the way he was moving around.

Does the league have specific rules against cripples playing (as they do against concussions and bounties)?

And if so, wouldn't that discriminate against the handicap?

Sounds like Shanahan is just trying to be fair to everyone without discrimination. Good for him.

sapient007 01-07-2013 12:29 PM

i believe the redskins docs advised otherwise on the playability of RG3. someone made the call the the head coach agreed despite doc orders.

adidasman 01-07-2013 12:38 PM

And no one has even mentioned the deplorable condition of the field; that couldn't have helped RGIII in terms of getting around. It wrecked the Seattle placekicker...

stringertom 01-07-2013 12:57 PM

This was a perfect storm of motives and emotion combining to make rational decision-making almost impossible. RG3 took over the locker room midway through their season, rallied them into the playoffs and wanted in the worst way to write the storybook finish...a run through the playoffs and a Super Bowl ring. Then they jumped out 14-0 in front of those FedEx crazies and the adrenaline really kicked in. He wasn't coming out unless dragged off. Shanahan, having tasted that SB champagne, bought in. Bad decisions by both.

As I said, RG3 wasn't their best chance for winning with the bad wheel...Cousins with wins over Cleveland and Dallas (if Shanahan had wised up earlier) could have competed with that nasty Seattle defense. May not have won but RG3's knee would be much the better for it and the backup QB's value would probably have risen, either as trade bait or stability in case the injury cycle continues for #10.

CCNM 01-07-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7102732)

My brother was saying something similar after the game yesterday (Vinny, is that you????). He hopes R. Griffin's career isn't affected by this either. I was surprised to see him (Griffin) walking on it.

stringertom 01-07-2013 05:23 PM

Prelim tests showed partially torn ACL/MCL...has to go to Andrews for further tests/artho to determine what's old/new...this is the same knee he hurt while at Baylor in '09. I am quoting SI.com

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-08-2013 11:39 PM

ESPN reports "total" reconstruction surgery to repair a torn LCL and a torn ACL. The new ACL will come from the patella of the other knee.

If Mike Shanahan has his ways, RG3 is going to run out of body parts to replace torn knee ligaments.

stringertom 01-09-2013 02:14 AM

Yahoo reports Andrews will surgically repair the LCL and "see" if the ACL needs a redo at the same time. Either way, this is a shame emotions overruled rational decision making. Shanahan and RG3 must share responsibility...the athlete knew his body had betrayed him but he insisted on playing through the trauma.

Cousins now becomes a valuable alternative...best case scenario won't put RG3 back on the field for offseason drills and the preseason. Teams need continuity at the QB spot during training much more than any other position. A Peterson-style return is much more complicated for RG3.

I wish him a speedy recovery...the Skins revival was a great subplot to this interesting season. Hopefully, the young man has many more years to expand on his success.