Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   TWU proffesor. Question on string tension (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450151)

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 09:10 AM

TWU proffesor. Question on string tension

I read a post on here with some interesting info. Can you confirm whether this is true or not?

"the string tension makes a marginal difference in power, 1 mph IIRC. Also, going the other way, tighter tension gives more control, is more a less a myth. "

Is it true that sub-40lbs, strings lose power? If so I may string my gut at sub 40.

TW Professor 01-07-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7103528)
I read a post on here with some interesting info. Can you confirm whether this is true or not?

"the string tension makes a marginal difference in power, 1 mph IIRC. Also, going the other way, tighter tension gives more control, is more a less a myth. "

Is it true that sub-40lbs, strings lose power? If so I may string my gut at sub 40.

1-2 mph for large percent drops in tension. Not much. But it seems like more since lower tensions will launch the ball at higher angle, increasing length. Tighter strings give a truer rebound angle, but that doesn't mean you will necessarily have better control--it just means the ball will go where the racquet face is pointing.

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 09:41 AM

Is it true that sub-40lbs, strings lose power? If so I may string my at sub 40. I typically use nat gut or multi's.

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Professor (Post 7103582)
Tighter strings give a truer rebound angle, but that doesn't mean you will necessarily have better control--it just means the ball will go where the racquet face is pointing.

I'm confused by this. If higher tensions launch at a lower angle, how does this not equal greater control? Are there other factors?

Thanks

TW Professor 01-07-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7103605)
I'm confused by this. If higher tensions launch at a lower angle, how does this not equal greater control? Are there other factors?

Thanks

Into the net? Control is subjective...it is whatever you do with the ball. There is no such thing as "control" in physics, just speeds, spins, and angles. You can adjust for any rebound from the stringbed by altering your stroke, if you have to. Control is a combination of stroke and setup, and the combinations are endless.

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 10:14 AM

Is it true that sub-40lbs, strings lose power? In your opinion, would it be a good idea to string a multi or natural gut at sub 40 tension?

Thanks again

TW Professor 01-07-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7103680)
Is it true that sub-40lbs, strings lose power? In your opinion, would it be a good idea to string a multi or natural gut at sub 40 tension?

Thanks again

I think everything is a good idea. Try it and find out. How do you know unless you try? Has anyone ever tried? I don't know. Some people have tried poly down to 10 lbs. But, yes everything will lose power if you go low enough...at some tension the strings will move around too much and won't act in unison.

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 01:34 PM

Final question. Do you have an idea at what tension strings start losing power? Or an estimate range? Say 10-40lbs.

TW Professor 01-07-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7104135)
Final question. Do you have an idea at what tension strings start losing power? Or an estimate range? Say 10-40lbs.

Strings have lower energy return at lower tensions. If you go to the String Performance Database on TWU you will see this is so. Click in the brand, string=all, reference tension = all, swing speed = fast, energy return. Sort by brand, string, reference tension, and swing speed. You will see that for each string, usually there is less energy return as you go from 62, to 50 to 40 pounds.

However, that does not mean less ball speed. Most of the loss in power is due to energy loss in the ball when it is crushed. The less you crush the ball, the less energy you lose, more than enough to make up for the loss in the strings. So it is a tradeoff. But at some point they will equalize and string energy loss will dominate. I have no idea where that occurs however.

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 02:00 PM

Okay. Thanks, i've learned a lot of useful info.

So it's a myth that a string loses more elasticity if you string at a high tension? Or are energy return and elasticity different things?

I will try out low tensions. I do wonder why none of the pro's use it though. Except volandri.

newyorkstadium 01-08-2013 07:55 AM

Bump. Sorry, one question keeps leading to another.