Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Battery Pack for Wise tension head (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450152)

domosborn 01-07-2013 09:24 AM

Battery Pack for Wise tension head
 
Has Anybody ever tried this? Seems like it might be a good idea for emergencies/portability, I am not a very technical person so I don't know if this is even feasibile, but it might be an idea for someone who is looking for a project?

Dom

db10s 01-07-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domosborn (Post 7103560)
Has Anybody ever tried this? Seems like it might be a good idea for emergencies/portability, I am not a very technical person so I don't know if this is even feasibile, but it might be an idea for someone who is looking for a project?

Dom

From what I've heard, you could take it off and use the machine the way it was intended to be used.

It might be possible with a car battery or something if you get an inverter.

Lakers4Life 01-07-2013 09:38 AM

I always considered using a UPS just in case of power failure, but never really got around to getting one. I once saw a guy at a tennis tournament use a small Honda generator, to power a Star 4.

I have to check the power supply, but I think it outputs 12V DC. Though I would not connect a battery directly to the tensioner unit.

Steve Huff 01-10-2013 05:43 PM

One of the guys that strings some local tournaments around here uses a generator. He sits it all up in the back of his van. Seems to work ok for him.

Lakers4Life 01-10-2013 09:39 PM

Though it's entirely possible to run a Wise off a battery or battery backup (UPS), what we don't know is for how long.

A battery backup would come in handy if you live in an area prone to brownouts, scheduled and unscheduled. The local power company decided to replace a couple of transfomers in my area a while back, and each time I could not use my Wise to string.

struggle 01-11-2013 09:45 AM

Deep Cycle Marine Battery to an inverter > machine.

Dan_magz 01-11-2013 08:46 PM

I am an engineering student and I am currently building my own constant pull machine that plugs in or uses a battery.

Lakers4Life 01-11-2013 09:20 PM

Solar Power --> 12V Battery --> Wise

Chotobaka 01-11-2013 09:39 PM

For portability, how about a table-top crank or, better yet, a Stringway? Guys that go mobile will use a suitable generator for an electronic rig. What really critical emergency does some yobbo with a Wise at home expect to encounter? If you do not have power at home you probably are facing bigger issues than stringing an effin' tennis racquet. Sweet Jesus, the absolutely stupid unrealistic stuff people come up with. Dumb and dumber.

domosborn 01-12-2013 02:00 AM

^ Wow, that escalated quickly.... It wasn't because of some life or death situation, it was curiosity to see if it was technically feasible, chill out man, some people like to do stuff "because they can" or just to see, not always because there's a desperate need, god, get some perspective mate.

Internet warrior since 08'

Irvin 01-12-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domosborn (Post 7114323)
^ Wow, that escalated quickly.... It wasn't because of some life or death situation, it was curiosity to see if it was technically feasible, chill out man, some people like to do stuff "because they can" or just to see, not always because there's a desperate need, god, get some perspective mate.

Internet warrior since 08'

Well I guess I have to throw in my two cents worth now. LOL I have never wanted to move my stringer and never wanted to string a racket when I didn't have power, but if I did I would check out a cigarette lighter with a plug that fits a Wise (w/voltage divider if needed.) I have a portable jumper battery that has a light and two cigarette lighters.

Lakers4Life 01-12-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7114141)
For portability, how about a table-top crank or, better yet, a Stringway? Guys that go mobile will use a suitable generator for an electronic rig. What really critical emergency does some yobbo with a Wise at home expect to encounter? If you do not have power at home you probably are facing bigger issues than stringing an effin' tennis racquet. Sweet Jesus, the absolutely stupid unrealistic stuff people come up with. Dumb and dumber.

Before this starts getting personal. I've talked to some stringers with a Wise outside of the US where brownouts are a normal occurance. I would not call it as you say a "critical emergency" but a fact life.

Ice Cube once said, "Yo better check yo self, before yo wreck yo self!" Before calling people stupid, check your own statements before hitting the reply button.

Davis Cup Fan 01-12-2013 10:19 AM

If this is a situation where there is no power and you need to power your stringer, chances are you also need light which I guess could be a powerfull lamp that is plugged into the source of power for your stringer. So a generator would need to be able to have two things that can be plugged into it.

struggle 01-12-2013 12:34 PM

This thread is great!!!

Lakers4Life 01-12-2013 01:50 PM

I was at Harbor Freight today, and saw a three panel Solar set complete with inverter for $155. 3000mA of output, but if add a 12V battery it's all you need.

You can be stringing off the grid in no time.


Chotobaka 01-13-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7114859)
Before this starts getting personal. I've talked to some stringers with a Wise outside of the US where brownouts are a normal occurance. I would not call it as you say a "critical emergency" but a fact life.

Ice Cube once said, "Yo better check yo self, before yo wreck yo self!" Before calling people stupid, check your own statements before hitting the reply button.


As someone who gets out and about quite a bit, I can tell you that in second/third class municipalities, where brown outs are most likely to occur, (and I have played tennis in many places where there isn't 24 hour public electric service), every commercial stringer I have ever seen uses a manual machine. And, hotels/resorts with tennis facilities in these locales always have their own generators to power the entire property -- they still go crank.

Moreover, having a Wise overseas will be more than challenging when it inevitably breaks down and you need a replacement -- but that is an entirely different topic. Worrying about using the Wise when the power goes out is fringe lunacy no matter how you try to slice it. Whimsical stupidity.

Edit: I neglected to mention the Wise's biggest advantage over a purpose-built electronic machine is the ability revert to manual operation in short order. So, in the real world, why sweat it?

Lakers4Life 01-13-2013 06:13 PM

Everyone's got a reason, it may not be your cup of tea, or brand of beer, but it's still a viable option.

If you don't like the topic, Don't Reply! Laugh it off and have a beer.

Chotobaka 01-13-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7117786)
Everyone's got a reason, it may not be your cup of tea, or brand of beer, but it's still a viable option.

If you don't like the topic, Don't Reply! Laugh it off and have a beer.

Always a fine option.

Dags 01-14-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7117492)
Moreover, having a Wise overseas will be more than challenging when it inevitably breaks down and you need a replacement -- but that is an entirely different topic. Worrying about using the Wise when the power goes out is fringe lunacy no matter how you try to slice it. Whimsical stupidity.

Regarding the first part, in the UK the resellers are also an authorised service centre. Herb shared the secret sauce with them or something. This was quite an important consideration when I bought mine; fortunately I haven't needed to call them on that yet.

As for an alternative power source... if I strung more volume and lived in an area with more interruptions, I'd consider a cheap UPS (<100) that could give me 30-45 minutes of power. The main purpose would be to ensure I could complete any job I'd started (I could UPS a lamp too if it was dark). But I don't string enough to demand it, and power is pretty stable here.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse