Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does using a smaller grip size change your forehand grip? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450162)

newyorkstadium 01-07-2013 10:32 AM

Does using a smaller grip size change your forehand grip?

If I lowered my grip size, would my forehand change from eastern to extreme eastern, or semi-western? I'm thinking that if the grip is smaller, it might change the way you grip the racket.

IA-SteveB 01-07-2013 10:39 AM

I went from 4 1/2 to 4 1/4 and my grip stayed exactly the same. Eastern.

djdannyj25 01-07-2013 11:03 AM

I like using a smaller grip size because it allows me to use more wrist in my shot (I know it's bad for me), but my grip still stays at extreme western.

Mongolmike 01-07-2013 11:11 AM

I went down a 1/4" on my grip (and in fact i don't even use a true grip but just an overgrip on the bare handle), and my club pro started good naturedly giving me a hard time about it... til he admitted he also went down a grip size for the same reasons! ... smaller grip size seemed to give more snap on strokes and serves, but maybe a little less stability on volleys as the tradeoff...

newyorkstadium 01-08-2013 08:14 AM

Bump. Need more opinions.

J011yroger 01-08-2013 08:30 AM

No.

J

ChicagoJack 01-08-2013 09:03 AM

Hi NY Stadium,

Short answer = No. There's been a shift happening in the tennis world at large as well as the pro tour towards smaller grips. The common view (already expressed here as well) is that this promotes wrist flexibility within the stroke which will enhance spin.

But Also to Consider :

1. If you are the tinkering type, if you are at all into customization, one might consider ordering your frames one size lower just to give yourself room for mods, or a thicker cushion grip like HEAD Hydrosorb. I ordered my Donnay frames as 4 1/4 rather than 4 3/8, because I played with HEAD frames for a very long time and got used to the rectangular shape. What I do build up the top three bevels, and the bottom three bevels using black book binders tape to give me the shape I prefer. It's kind of a personal thing, but with the square grips, I have more of a hard time sensing where I am, because each side feels so similar. It seems like there are also many who just hate the rectangular feel. If thats the case you could also do the opposite, build up the other 6 bevels, leaving the top two as is.

2. If you have TE, be careful about going either too small or too big. You will tend to squeeze a bit harder with a smaller grip, as there is a bit less leverage, and squeezing too hard can be one of the major causes of TE, as well as a factor in having it hang around once you have got it. Conversely, if the grip is so big it's just awkward in your hands, that might cause you to squeeze too hard and aggravate all those persnikity little forearm muscles near the elbo tie in as well.

Good Luck!

-Jack

PhrygianDominant 01-08-2013 09:30 AM

If you are using a semi western I think it does. Changes in grip size and shape have a significant effect on my forehand grip. Eastern and western have the base knuckle parrellel or 90 degrees to the racquet face, where semi western seems to be more sensitive.

newyorkstadium 01-09-2013 01:13 AM

Thanks all.

Does anyone agree that a semi-western grip is sensitive in smaller grip sizes? I am thinking of going semi-western and a smaller grip size.

J011yroger 01-09-2013 04:03 AM

Hold the racquet however you want.

Use whatever grip size you want.

Go hit the ball.

J

newyorkstadium 01-09-2013 04:06 AM

It's too cold in the UK atm. I'm spending my downtime researching way's to improve my game.

prjacobs 01-09-2013 05:38 AM

It didn't change my grip position, but I did mess around with going a bit more towards western from my eastern grip. As stated above, the trend towards smaller grips is about getting more wrist in your shots.