Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gasquet now showing more fire, passion and fist pumps? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450182)

Gonzalito17 01-07-2013 12:23 PM

Gasquet now showing more fire, passion and fist pumps?

Didn't see but heard from a crony that Gasquet showed unusual fire passion and fistpumps in Brisbane and sure enough he won the title. Typically Gasquet was an android type player, remarkable talent but does not capitalize on emotional adrenaline which if used properly and at the right moments CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. Could it be that Gasquet is now learned from experience and is ready to show and use emotional adrenaline as a new advantage to take him to the next level - and to his first major title in 2013???

Kilco 01-07-2013 12:29 PM

I think he will do well this year, but he wont win a slam. It really is a tragedy. Why the hell did he not change his damn forehand when he realised it was a shot that was limited!

norbac 01-07-2013 12:29 PM

Yup, noticed this too. He was really pumped in the big moments. Showed some great fight and great reactions. Also his fitness seems to have improved, he held up well in a very physical match against Davydenko.

axel89 01-07-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7103942)
Didn't see but heard from a crony that Gasquet showed unusual fire passion and fistpumps in Brisbane and sure enough he won the title. Typically Gasquet was an android type player, remarkable talent but does not capitalize on emotional adrenaline which if used properly and at the right moments CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. Could it be that Gasquet is now learned from experience and is ready to show and use emotional adrenaline as a new advantage to take him to the next level - and to his first major title in 2013???

Doha not Brisbane

smoledman 01-07-2013 12:48 PM

Doha is the biggest title of his career to date.

nadal_GOAT_king 01-07-2013 02:32 PM

To pump himself up - This was what everyone had been saying for the past half decade, no? A bit too late now, no?

tacou 01-07-2013 02:33 PM

I noticed this towards the end of last year. I always respect guys like Gasquet who could come back from 5-2 down and not show any emotion, but he specifically was in need of some fire and it is definitely starting to come out. Great to see.

tacou 01-07-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadal_GOAT_king (Post 7104270)
To pump his self up - This was what everyone had been saying for the past half decade, no? A bit too late now, no?

Exactly. Unfortunately for Richie this is not golf, his career is over soon. Should have done this after beating Fed in Monte Carlo (2005) and maybe things would have been different.

ultradr 01-07-2013 02:34 PM

I think he can win a slam in his career, maybe US Open which is currently fastest surfaces and lightest tennis balls used.

He could have been multiple slam potentials in any era in the past....

90's Clay 01-07-2013 02:35 PM

ROFL.. Stop. Gasquet won't do anything this year. The same as he does every other year. Nothing

Gonzalito17 01-07-2013 02:41 PM

Perhaps Gasquet is following the advices of Monfils? Be the leader, the commander of the court...

---------------------

Did Monfils Expose Gasquet’s Achilles Heel?.6 Comments Posted by Scoop Malinowski in Articles, Scoop Edit
Two years ago at the U.S. Open Gael Monfils defeated Richard Gasquet and gave an unusually blunt critique of his countryman’s competitive shortcomings.

Question: Last time you spoke you said you felt Richard was a stronger player than you were and that you were most likely going to face difficulty today. What kind of mentality did you go into the match with?

Monfils, who defeated Gasquet 64 75 75, responded candidly with an admission that he played some mind games: “I tried to be very tough and very hard with him, showing him that I’m the man and I’m the leader. So I think I try also to get him in the head, to show him like I will be strong and he might hit a good shot but it’s okay. For me it’s like nothing.”

Moments later Monfils added, “And also, Richard, he doesn’t really like pressure. He love, like, good play, not play. He don’t like a lot of crowd around, the crowd involved. He don’t like (to) see the opponent like show emotions. Just play with that, play a bit with his mind, and that was it.”

Monfils, one of the most popular showmen on the ATP Tour, went on to say he loves interactions with audience and he uses that option to summon his finest play. “They helped me for sure in the second set. After I saved the set point I think I ask a bit the crowd to get involved and they did. Then it was great. That’s why, you know, I broke him straightaway because I had like positive energy. I love when it’s intense. I love it. It makes me feel like I’m stronger again. So for sure, when the crowd gets involved I play my best tennis.”

The Bawss 01-07-2013 02:42 PM

He is gonna break through. I called it at the end of last year so get off the bandwagon people IT'S MINE!

The Bawss 01-07-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7104282)
ROFL.. Stop. Gasquet won't do anything this year. The same as he does every other year. Nothing

Thanks for giving me something to quote when Gasquet wins Rome this year.

heninfan99 01-07-2013 02:51 PM

He won multiple titles last year and re-entered the top 10. WTF?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7104282)

always_crosscourt 01-07-2013 03:04 PM

It would be nice to see him win something, but unfortunately, I think he will be out of the top 10 within a couple of weeks and won't win another title.

The Meat 01-07-2013 03:06 PM

Gasquet must have saw Dimitrov's performance at Brisbane. :)

roundiesee 01-07-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7104362)
Gasquet must have saw Dimitrov's performance at Brisbane. :)

Would love it if these 2 guys finally broke through this year! Let's hope for the best!

Mainad 01-07-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heninfan99 (Post 7104334)
He won multiple titles last year and re-entered the top 10. WTF?

Gasquet won only 1 title last year, Bangkok.

Seth 01-07-2013 04:49 PM

Love Gasquet. I'm hoping for a big year.

Gonzalito17 01-08-2013 05:34 AM

Remember Todd Martin played pacifist tennis like Gasquet but then down two sets to love vs. Moya at US Open, Martin, suddenly started playing and acting like a wildman, yelling, fists, bulging eyes, hi fiving fans. Complete transformation. And he won the match. Imagine if Martin played his whole career like a madman like that? He would have won a minimum of 5 majors. Perhaps Gasquet is coming out of his shell like Martin, and hopefully for his sake it won't only be for one match.