Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Looking for a new racket (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450198)

TheBoom 01-07-2013 02:11 PM

Looking for a new racket

Hey guys! I am looking for some advise on a new racket to purchase. My current racket choice is a mix of my Pure Drive Roddick GT (2009) and my Yonex RDIS 200. Now some pros and cons on both: The pure drive is my favorite of the two I love the power it has, the spin and how it doesnt really get pushed around when hitting against heavy hitters, however it has bugged my elbow and shoulder in the past (probably a combination of my form and the racket) and it at times has a little too much power to it. Now the RDIS I thought would be the perfect replacement for the pure drive with similar specs other than the stiffness however I don't feel as complete with it, I don't know how to explain it exactly but when playing with it then switching to the pure drive I immediately can tell that my playing is better with the pure drive, it is a good racket and I play well with it but I can tell that the pure drive works better for me than the RDIS does.
Now about me: I am 6'7", 195lbs, I use a semi western grip, 2 handed backhand, My best shot is my forehand and volleys with my backhand being a weakness, my serve while powerful is streaky at times so it is somewhere in the middle.

I was looking at different rackets that could suit me and here is the list I came up with:
Head Extreme Pro 2.0
Head Radical Pro
Babolat Pure Drive 2012 (if it really is softer?)
Wilson Juice 100
Wilson Blade 98 16x19

If anyone has feedback id greatly appreciate it thank you :):):)

acura9927 01-07-2013 02:18 PM

Juice 100 give me a tinning feel in my elbow. No racquet has ever done that.

heninfan99 01-07-2013 02:27 PM

Well, that's the trade-off with stiff Babs. Totally diff. stick but have you ever tried a Prestige Mid? or Mid+.
The mid made the two hander much easier for me. The one I demo'd was very flexy. Wondering if you might like something like this?

TheBoom 01-07-2013 02:47 PM

I put the juice on the list because it sounded like a softer pure drive but I guess not... and I have actually tried the mid+ and I liked it quite a bit actually especially since I hit my backhand flatter however it didn't seem to fit my forehand quite right, I just didn't have the confidence that I normally do in it. But I have not tried the mid, if you have any input id be happy to hear it, I have a k90 so I have some experience with a mid frame

TheBoom 01-07-2013 03:42 PM

I also am considering the head instinct but I would need to add weight I think in order to bring it up to a reasonable spec for me (between 11.5-11.9oz)

JackB1 01-07-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoom (Post 7104225)
Hey guys! I am looking for some advise on a new racket to purchase. My current racket choice is a mix of my Pure Drive Roddick GT (2009) and my Yonex RDIS 200. Now some pros and cons on both: The pure drive is my favorite of the two I love the power it has, the spin and how it doesnt really get pushed around when hitting against heavy hitters, however it has bugged my elbow and shoulder in the past (probably a combination of my form and the racket) and it at times has a little too much power to it. Now the RDIS I thought would be the perfect replacement for the pure drive with similar specs other than the stiffness however I don't feel as complete with it, I don't know how to explain it exactly but when playing with it then switching to the pure drive I immediately can tell that my playing is better with the pure drive, it is a good racket and I play well with it but I can tell that the pure drive works better for me than the RDIS does.
Now about me: I am 6'7", 195lbs, I use a semi western grip, 2 handed backhand, My best shot is my forehand and volleys with my backhand being a weakness, my serve while powerful is streaky at times so it is somewhere in the middle.

I was looking at different rackets that could suit me and here is the list I came up with:
Head Extreme Pro 2.0
Head Radical Pro
Babolat Pure Drive 2012 (if it really is softer?)
Wilson Juice 100
Wilson Blade 98 16x19

If anyone has feedback id greatly appreciate it thank you :):):)

forget the Juice and PD if you have any arm issues...

the remaining 3 are similar and you will have to demo to see which you prefer.
you seem to like power and all 3 of those have lots of pop. The Rad Pro is VERY flexy and has a high swingweight. I would try the Ex Pro and Blade 98 1st. Both excellent choices.

TheBoom 01-07-2013 04:34 PM

Jack, I actually tried the radical pro which is why it is on my list, it had many of the characteristics of a pure drive in a flexier package. How do the blade and extreme compare in your opinion? Thanks!

JackB1 01-07-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoom (Post 7104507)
Jack, I actually tried the radical pro which is why it is on my list, it had many of the characteristics of a pure drive in a flexier package. How do the blade and extreme compare in your opinion? Thanks!

I loved the new 16x19 Blade. Plush, comfortable and lots of plowthru.
The Extreme Pro was a little too heavy IMO. Seriously though...these 3 stick are so similar you need to just demo them to see which you prefer. My pick would be the Blade.

TheBoom 01-07-2013 05:29 PM

Ok thank you for the input jack and the help narrowing it down! :)

fuzz nation 01-08-2013 09:09 AM

A couple of the killers I've coached have successfully switched from PD's into BLX Blade 98's - not exactly the same as your situation, but I also think that the Blades are a possibility.

I string for a very strong player who uses those PD Roddicks and he came down with serious TE after switching into poly hybrids in his frames. After healing up, he kept the racquets and switched over to 16 ga. VS Touch (nat'l gut) tensioned at 61 or 62 lbs. and has been 100% healthy in the elbow ever since. Just a thought.

I've been supremely comfortable with my Volkl C10's, but they might not be what you're looking for in terms of heft and performance. Volkl does have a couple of newer "10 Series" options though, and one of the Organix 10's could be worth a look.

TheBoom 01-09-2013 06:52 PM

Well pulled the trigger on the blx 98 pink (yes a little girly but it saved me $70 vs the gold) and will get the new version within a week as well to use as my main stick thanks for the input everyone :)

vetinari 01-09-2013 06:58 PM

Coming from the pure drive roddick, I would try the extreme pro 2.0 first. Also a stiff racquet but is more comfortable than the pure drive. Has nice solidity and controllable power. The head shape gives a great spin window. Ugly PJ though. Better than the juice but that's like saying someone is uglier than Katherine Webb. Especially if you are Brent musburger.

zapvor 01-09-2013 07:01 PM

the blade is a good stick. the pink makes it better!

lobman 01-10-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acura9927 (Post 7104242)
Juice 100 give me a tinning feel in my elbow. No racquet has ever done that.

Let me just echo acura's comment. I really wanted to like the Juice 100--two different demo sessions. But both resulted in sore elbow (and the racquet was strung in the mid range of recommended).

mrtrinh 01-10-2013 01:04 PM

My recommendations:

Formula 100
Pro one
IG radical pro

LeeD 01-10-2013 02:12 PM

Good to hear you're alive and well in Texas.
Any racket the big guys use, mostly soft and friendly, mid to mid+.
You still in high school? How's your game lately?

TheBoom 01-10-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7110575)
Good to hear you're alive and well in Texas.
Any racket the big guys use, mostly soft and friendly, mid to mid+.
You still in high school? How's your game lately?

First off thanks to everyone for their input again I much appreciate hearing everyone's comments and experiences. LeeD yeah its my last semester in hs I'm getting prepped for the spring tournaments/districts I've kinda been going downhill for a bit but I've recently started to get back to where I was. I'm sure I'll ask for some advise some point along the way, thanks for all your input too by the way its helped a lot :)