Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   stiffness - frame vs. stringbed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450215)

babar 01-07-2013 06:03 PM

stiffness - frame vs. stringbed

Will stringing a 63 RDC stiffness, 98 sq in frame with a full poly at 53 tension allow the frame to play like a 70 RDC stiffness frame?

corners 01-07-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babar (Post 7104567)
Will stringing a 63 RDC stiffness, 98 sq in frame with a full poly at 53 tension allow the frame to play like a 70 RDC stiffness frame?

I see where you're trying to get to. But your question isn't complete. You need a bit more at the end:

Will stringing a 63 RDC stiffness frame with full poly at 53 pounds allow the frame to play like a 70 RDC frame strung with X at Y pounds?

But even then I don't think there is an answer for you. I'm not even sure whether the frame stiffness or the stringbed stiffness is a bigger factor in the "total" stiffness of the racquet/string system.

But here's a question for you that might lead somewhere: What quality of the 70RDC frame are you trying to reproduce in the 63RDC frame?

tata 01-08-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7104605)
I see where you're trying to get to. But your question isn't complete. You need a bit more at the end:

Will stringing a 63 RDC stiffness frame with full poly at 53 pounds allow the frame to play like a 70 RDC frame strung with X at Y pounds?

But even then I don't think there is an answer for you. I'm not even sure whether the frame stiffness or the stringbed stiffness is a bigger factor in the "total" stiffness of the racquet/string system.

But here's a question for you that might lead somewhere: What quality of the 70RDC frame are you trying to reproduce in the 63RDC frame?

Excellent questioning skills there Corners!
OP - There may be other ways, possibly more sensible and viable, to achieve the result you want.

kaiser 01-08-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7104605)

Nice post corners, as usual. I have a related question if the OP doesn't mind: If you string at very low tensions (e.g. poly in high 30s), would that to some extent mask the flex of the racket, i.e. would it make a stiffer and a flexier frame feel more similar than strung at high tensions?

tlm 01-08-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babar (Post 7104567)

Does the racket have a 16 main or 18? I have found that makes a big difference in how stiff a stringbed feels. I don't see how full poly at 53 lbs. is going to make a racket feel more stiff, to me in a 16 main racket that is low tension and it will feel soft.

fgs 01-08-2013 05:19 AM

you cannot compensate frame stiffness with stringbedstiffness.
just think of the dynamics implied with ballcontact and stringbeddeflection and then think of it as a system. the softer stick with the tighter string will produce a completely different deflection of both stringbed and stick than the stiff stick with the low strung stringbed.