Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   frequent restringing in winter (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450253)

luvforty 01-08-2013 05:22 AM

frequent restringing in winter

ogsm mains/ nylon crosses 55-59 lbs give or take.

seems in the summer I can feel the lively response all the way till it breaks (7-8 hours)... but in the winter outdoors, 2-3 hours later I can feel the ball 'sticks' to the strings and doesn't want to bounce out.

tried to keep using the dead bed and elbow didn't like it.... so I have been cutting them out after 2-3 hours.

thoughts?

Samo 01-08-2013 06:25 AM

Strings get stiffer as temperature drops (and vice versa). So presuming you play in colder conditions than in summer I would suggest, you should drop couple of lbs.

luvforty 01-08-2013 06:55 AM

yeah thought about that... my observation is -

a synthetic like the OGSM, has ~ 8lbs of drop off... i.e. fresh string @56, slowly drops to about @48 and stay there till it breaks..

I have tried 55-59 initial tension... seems the 'ball sticking to the strings' dead feel comes roughly after 2-3 hours, regardless of tension.

mikeler 01-08-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7105395)
yeah thought about that... my observation is -

a synthetic like the OGSM, has ~ 8lbs of drop off... i.e. fresh string @56, slowly drops to about @48 and stay there till it breaks..

I have tried 55-59 initial tension... seems the 'ball sticking to the strings' dead feel comes roughly after 2-3 hours, regardless of tension.

Try a softer multifilament string in the winter:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

slowfox 01-08-2013 07:05 AM

In my experience, OGSM is good except during winter. Any other time I get good playability with it, but when it's cold... fuggedaboutit.

Overheadsmash 01-08-2013 07:08 AM

I will go multi mains poly crosses in winter, but full poly in the dog days of summer. It's true you need to string a little looser in the winter.

I've been doing well with TF X-1 Biphase 16 mains and TF Red Code 18 crosses this winter.

I can thank Mikeler for turning me on to the biphase. Great stuff.

mikeler 01-08-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overheadsmash (Post 7105419)
I will go multi mains poly crosses in winter, but full poly in the dog days of summer. It's true you need to string a little looser in the winter.

I've been doing well with TF X-1 Biphase 16 mains and TF Red Code 18 crosses this winter.

I can thank Mikeler for turning me on to the biphase. Great stuff.

I'm going to try out a full job of biphase again next month. This time I'll prestretch it and string it tighter. Such an amazing string when fresh.

Nostradamus 01-08-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samo (Post 7105355)
Strings get stiffer as temperature drops (and vice versa). So presuming you play in colder conditions than in summer I would suggest, you should drop couple of lbs.

Agree, I actually feel like I get better control in the winter due to stiffer tension or feel . LOL This is still amazing to me because these polys and multi strings aren't supposed to be affected by weather or temperature. :)

I have more problems in the Summer time, I get into Control issues with these looser feeling strings. How do I compensate other than stringing it tighter ?

fuzz nation 01-08-2013 10:14 AM

I also like to drop tension in the colder months - I string with 16 ga. syn. gut. A 4-5 lb. drop is good for me, but I have to see whether that holds true with my Gosen string.

fortun8son 01-08-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7105692)
Agree, I actually feel like I get better control in the winter due to stiffer tension or feel . LOL This is still amazing to me because these polys and multi strings aren't supposed to be affected by weather or temperature. :)

I have more problems in the Summer time, I get into Control issues with these looser feeling strings. How do I compensate other than stringing it tighter ?

They are not affected by moisture, but are most definitely affected by temperature, as are the frame and balls... and your joints. :)

struggle 01-09-2013 06:44 AM

OGSM 17, 58#. (Radical MP)

Cold weather sticks strung at 45#.

works well for me