Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What grip should a 6'4+ person use? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450276)

newyorkstadium 01-08-2013 09:40 AM

What grip should a 6'4+ person use?

I know that low balls are difficult with a SW or western forehand. Also, tall people don't have to worry about the high ball issues with an eastern grip.

At the same time, I've read that a SW or western grip opens up new angles and shots. Also, more spin means less risk of balls going out.

What do you think? I'm 6'4.

OHBH 01-08-2013 10:40 AM

I believe semi western is the best balance for most folks. I wouldn't advise a traditional eastern grip to anyone these days even to the tallest folks as the premium on spin these days is quite large. Conversely I find the full western to be a bit unnatural to most people and much more difficult to learn. Plus i don't think the western is good for most amateurs as they already have enough problems with low balls, footwook, etc. Though if you really work hard on it the full western should be just as good. You should also consider what type of game/style you are best suited.

At 6' 0'' and more of an attacking player use a semi-western/modified eastern grip ala federer.

newyorkstadium 01-08-2013 10:45 AM

What is a modified eastern grip? Which bevel do I place my knuckle on for this grip?

Isn't it harder to go from semi-western to ohb grip? I play ohb.

OHBH 01-08-2013 12:52 PM

A modified eastern grip places the knuckle along the edge of the bevels between what would be the eastern and semi-werstern grips, so the knuckle isn't on either of the flat surfaces of the grip. I typically turn a little more towards a semi-western when returning moonballs and such to give myself a better contact point, but not always.

IA-SteveB 01-08-2013 02:17 PM

Not to hijack a thread, but I never thought about height in relation to grip choice. How about for a guy who is 5'4" on a good day?

LeeD 01-09-2013 09:52 AM

Use a grip which is effective for the players you play against, and the bounce they give you.
As you get better, you will face more topspin players who can bounce even second serves up around your chin heights, so take that into account.

newyorkstadium 01-09-2013 09:59 AM

This is excellent advice, Leed.

But ignoring the bounce height. I've read that a SW or western grip opens up new angles and shots. Also, more spin means less risk of balls going out.

LeeD 01-09-2013 03:41 PM

Ever look at Connors and McEnroe hitting balls from the baseline? They create huge angles with very continental grips, Connors more E than Mc's.
You're overthinking the game by a few steps. Allow your skills to catch up with your mind and imagination.
Theory is only applicable if you have the time and inclination, coaching and determination to hit with strong grips.
Watch the grips of DelPo, Soderling, Milos, Isner, Querrey and the taller players. None use strong SW, most use a variation of E grips, usually towards the strong side.
Strong grips take too much out of your body, something taller players don't have an excess of ....endurance and repetition, fetching and direction changes.

tyu1314 01-09-2013 04:12 PM

pretty funny that this thread is posted Tennis Equipment> Other Equipment:)

LeeD 01-09-2013 05:03 PM

There's a eastern Euro tall guy who's using a pure SW grip, forgot his name. He's a rising star, but I'd bet will drop off the scene in a couple of years, because his style of forehand takes sooo much from his endurance. He's still young, so still able to hit that grip.

Chotobaka 01-09-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7108628)
Ever look at Connors and McEnroe hitting balls from the baseline? They create huge angles with very continental grips, Connors more E than Mc's.
You're overthinking the game by a few steps. Allow your skills to catch up with your mind and imagination.
Theory is only applicable if you have the time and inclination, coaching and determination to hit with strong grips.
Watch the grips of DelPo, Soderling, Milos, Isner, Querrey and the taller players. None use strong SW, most use a variation of E grips, usually towards the strong side.
Strong grips take too much out of your body, something taller players don't have an excess of ....endurance and repetition, fetching and direction changes.

Neat post. Absolutely right on.

newyorkstadium 01-10-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7108628)

Point noted. Not everyone should play with a semi-western grip. I will experiment in practice though. Which is what I probably should have done all along.

scotus 01-12-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyu1314 (Post 7108715)
pretty funny that this thread is posted Tennis Equipment> Other Equipment:)

Why, you don't know you could purchase a western grip? :)

ductrung3993 01-12-2013 10:17 PM

Grip has nothing to with height really imo. Both 6'1", RF uses Eastern while Nadal uses Western.

TheCheese 01-12-2013 11:00 PM

Honestly, it's more about what kind of style you play and what you feel comfortable with. For most of us, the amount of time's you'll get something so high or low that you'll have problems due to your specific height will be pretty rare and probably can be countered with good footwork.

LeeD 01-14-2013 11:52 AM

Net player's favor bigger grips.
Confirmed baseliners seem to get more whip with smaller grips.