Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   RPM Blast Substitute? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450279)

Chezbeeno 01-08-2013 10:08 AM

RPM Blast Substitute?

I currently string my Wilson Juice Pro's (ugh, who thought up that name?) with RPM Blast 16g at 48 lbs. and it's a grand set up, I was just wondering if anyone knows of strings that are similar to RPM but at all cheaper? While RPM isn't too expensive, it's still a little pricier than I would like, assuming there are cheaper, equally as good, alternatives out there.

SteveI 01-08-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chezbeeno (Post 7105821)
I currently string my Wilson Juice Pro's (ugh, who thought up that name?) with RPM Blast 16g at 48 lbs. and it's a grand set up, I was just wondering if anyone knows of strings that are similar to RPM but at all cheaper? While RPM isn't too expensive, it's still a little pricier than I would like, assuming there are cheaper, equally as good, alternatives out there.

Volkl Cyclone

db10s 01-08-2013 11:24 AM

Tourna BHB7, Sonic pro edge, Black widow, volkl cyclone, etc...

Francis27 01-08-2013 11:55 AM

i like the cyclone

drak 01-08-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7106020)
i like the cyclone

what gauge Cyclone do you guys prefer?

Francis27 01-08-2013 12:13 PM

Since juice is a 16x19 go with 16g. But if you dont break strings go with 17g. Its personal preference but i like 16g in 16x19's

sundaypunch 01-08-2013 01:04 PM

BHB7 and MSV Focus Hex are excellent alternatives at a much lower price. If you aren't stuck on the string being black, Solinco Tour Bite is a great string for spin.

clarky 01-08-2013 01:50 PM

I like the Volkl Cyclone in 17g on my Head Youtek Prestige MP, it is a fantastic string, I have been using it for the past 2 weeks, and it is probably the best poly I have personally used. I would still like to try BHB7 to compare with the Cyclone.

Nostradamus 01-08-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Kirschbaum proline X. by far the best string that is similar to RPM blast. it is actually better in every category except in power dept.

Squidward 01-08-2013 02:09 PM

You can try Discho's Gear as a nice alterative.

zapvor 01-08-2013 03:28 PM

black magic. same smooth slippery feel

canny 01-08-2013 04:58 PM

msv focus hex 17L. nearly identical imo just softer on the arm and better tension maintenance.

Chezbeeno 01-09-2013 10:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'll start trying some of these out as soon as I can.

tray999 01-10-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7106365)
black magic. same smooth slippery feel

I like Black Magic but I feel Genesis Typhoon in grey is more RPM like. Both are good stings!

TennisCJC 01-10-2013 05:27 AM

I have played Volkl cyclone and it is OK but not a top of the line poly in my view.

Here are some ideas on mid $ polys that are very good:
1. Signum Pro Tornado $14.69 - holds tension, twisted poly better than RPM
2. Signum Pro Hextreme (or Hextreme Pro): $11.90
3. Tecnifibre BlackCode: $13
4. Tecnifibre RuffCode: $12

I have tried a bunch and like Signum Pro and Tecnifibre the best - feel is excellent and these do a little better holding tension. Lux is excellent but stiffer and does not last as long.

Lots of people like the Tourna poly's and they are under $10 but I have not tried them.

WARPWOODIE 01-10-2013 11:39 AM

Kirshbaum Spiky Sharky
Techifibre Black Code
MSV Hex....all the above come in black color for cosmetic appeal.

for cheap, Klippermate has there own house brand of the RPM, though it doesn't last very long...but good enough if you string frequently.

AA5B Tiger 01-10-2013 07:45 PM

Babolat VS Touch Natural Gut -- Tension / Hybrid suggestions?

Q: Looking for tension and possible hybrid suggestions with VS Touch Natural Gut to achieve a little more power.

Background:
For the first time ever, I put a full bed of Babolat VS Touch in my Radical Pro at 55#. The suggested range on the racket frame says 47-57#.

At first, the string felt very stiff -- not at all deserving of all the accolades I've always heard about natural gut. Then, after about 45 mins of serve practice, it "arrived". The feel became sublime. The touch on volleys is unlike anything I've ever felt. I'm hitting serves with more pace and precision than ever. Plus, the slight tingle in my arm completely went away.

I've now played with it about 6 hours a feel think the tension has settled in. (Is that correct -- does Natural Gut "settle" and stops loosing tension?) If so, I still feel like it could stand to be a little looser -- looking for a little more power/depth.

So.... Should I put another full set in a 2nd racquet at say 50# or hybrid it with something else to achieve the added power I'm after.

For what it is worth, I have been banging on the string for 6 hours and see no signs of wear, fraying yet. (With X1 BiPhase I'd already have that fuzzy fraying all over the sweet-spot at this point... And be struggling to keep balls in the court due to the rocket-launcher effect of X1 BiPhase after a couple of hours.)

Thanks in advance for the advice. Experimenting at $43/set for string tallies up fast -- so I welcome the experience and suggestions of others.

AA5B Tiger 01-10-2013 07:48 PM

My apologies -- I meant to start a new thread / not hijack this thread.... Sorry.

Tennusdude 01-12-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Try Genesis Hexonic either 16 or 18g. You may be suprised how well it plays.
Cost is about 6.90 per set