Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Local racquet customizing (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450284)

emcee143 01-08-2013 10:40 AM

Local racquet customizing
 
Aside from RPNY and P1, are there any places local to California (mainly LA), so I don't have to deliver and wait for my racquets?

cluckcluck 01-08-2013 10:52 AM

What kind of customizing are you looking for?

emcee143 01-08-2013 08:01 PM

Weight and balance matching. Maybe handle molding, but mainly balance and weight. I have 3 MW 200g's and same amount of lead on top, and balance is off

dode 01-08-2013 10:01 PM

You can do it yourself for less than $50 with a balance board (you can make one yourself if you are really cheap) and a decent scale. It really isn't hard to do.

John

Chotobaka 01-08-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dode (Post 7107012)
You can do it yourself for less than $50 with a balance board (you can make one yourself if you are really cheap) and a decent scale. It really isn't hard to do.

John

This. It isn't rocket science and there is a wealth of information here and elsewhere that will walk you through the process.

McLovin 01-09-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7107045)
This. It isn't rocket science and there is a wealth of information here and elsewhere that will walk you through the process.

Yeah, I posted my $15 balance board from Home Depot years ago, but apparently TT only goes back to 2008 on the search.

Effectively, you get a particle board shelf:


1/4" dowel rod:


two 1/4" dowel caps:


two eye bolts:


and a metal ruler (sorry a limit of 5 images per post, but hopefully you know what one is...).

Assemble the eye bolts & dowel at one end of the shelf and line the ruler up underneath the dowel (I drew a line between the two eye bolts) and glue it to the board. Takes ~ 10-15 minutes to assemble.

For a standard length racquet, at 13.5" on the ruler you are 'even balanced'. An 1/8 of an inch in either direction is +- 1 point.

DNShade 01-09-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emcee143 (Post 7105872)
Aside from RPNY and P1, are there any places local to California (mainly LA), so I don't have to deliver and wait for my racquets?

Rick at Westwood Sports in Westwood. Rick was the long term stringer etc at the LA Open and still strings and works on Sampras's sticks and they should be able to handle whatever you need.

bbulla 01-10-2013 08:45 AM

McLovin: Could you post a pic of the completed board? Looks to be very inventive.

Dags 01-10-2013 11:27 AM

I made my balance board after reading this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=145818

Credit for the scale goes to v1rotate (a link to download it is in the above).




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse