Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Poly causes PAIN...what's up with that??!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450296)

BruceD 01-08-2013 01:42 PM

Poly causes PAIN...what's up with that??!!

After usingpoly on my racquets, I ahve started to have pain and numbness in my hands. I'm still wondering if it's just a result of picking up the game again after 20 years, or is it also a result of using Lex BBO full bed or Pro's Pro Vendetta, in combo with syngut on my racquets?
I know it's stiffness can cause problems, so I went with the hybrid after the racquet with the full bed BBO went bad.
I use vibration dampeners on all my racquets and I still feel a 'zing' with the hybrids.
While I like the extra pop of the poly, I HATE the way my hand feel!
What are other's thoughts and problems/solutions on their racquets?
I have just picked up a Fischer Magnetic Tour racquet that has Yonex TG125 tough brain plus on it and will leave the ones strung with poly alone for awhile to see what happens.
If it means 'no poly or no play!', I will do without it!

clarky 01-08-2013 01:51 PM

I had the same issue with poly years ago, I was stringing at 57-58lbs with poly, way too much. Now I am down to 50lbs and I am using Volkl Cyclone for my poly, pain free once I dropped the tension.

pvaudio 01-08-2013 02:02 PM

If that Babolat is your main racquet and you're using poly, that could also be your problem. It is incredibly stiff and does not reward a spin generating stroke. A good question is, why are you interested in poly? Durability or playability? You just said you can do without it whereas I would simply demolish my wallet using something with lesser durability.

bigmatt 01-08-2013 02:07 PM

How long are you leaving the string in the racquet? Most poly is pretty much done after 10 hours of play or less, BBO especially. Try a fresh job, see how you feel and, if you feel good, track how long it takes the pain to come back.

fortun8son 01-08-2013 02:39 PM

The BBO may be the culprit. Or that noname twotone.
I wouldn't expect the Vendetta/syngut at low tension to cause pain, but it's possible.
Vibration dampeners don't do much to reduce shock, only sound.
There's always multi. MCS and Rip Control are both low powered.

tlm 01-08-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7106210)
If that Babolat is your main racquet and you're using poly, that could also be your problem. It is incredibly stiff and does not reward a spin generating stroke. A good question is, why are you interested in poly? Durability or playability? You just said you can do without it whereas I would simply demolish my wallet using something with lesser durability.

Did you say that a babolat racket with poly does not reward a spin generating stroke?

fortun8son 01-08-2013 03:16 PM

It's a Y 105.:)

ChicagoJack 01-08-2013 03:45 PM

Hi Bruce,

Arm pain, numbness in hands. Been there, done that. I feel for you my brother. Tingling is clear evidence you have what ia called a "double crush" somewhere. Nerves run through muscle, and muscle contracts, expands, changes volume and length. Nerves are stretchy. They move right along nicely in the sheath. If you get one point of entrapment somewhere the nerve still does a pretty good job of stretching even being pinned down at that one spot. But tingling occurs when you have two locations of entrapement. For tingling in the hands there are a few likely locations. Areas surrounding neck, shoulder and forearm are likely candidates for tennis players. Theres a whole laundry list of advice running through my head right now, but consider yourself in phase 1 of the 4 phases of recovery. Phase 1 is about getting inflammation under control. Follow the RICE method ( rest, ice, compression elevation) until you get the numbness under control. Consider accupuncture and trigger point release. Worry about Equipment changes later. Achhh... I hate doing this from i phone. I will def check back in on you. Hang in there. Its totally fixable.

- Jack

ChicagoJack 01-08-2013 04:03 PM

By the way, "rest" means dont play. I know thats likely not where your head is at right now, but attacking it early with a super conservative approach could have you back on the court pain free in 1/10 the time ir might take if you look for an easy fix. Ive been down both roads, and hoping to share with you a lesson i learned the hard way - jack

TheCheese 01-08-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmatt (Post 7106218)
How long are you leaving the string in the racquet? Most poly is pretty much done after 10 hours of play or less, BBO especially. Try a fresh job, see how you feel and, if you feel good, track how long it takes the pain to come back.

I never understood people who say this. Do you guys really cut out your strings after playing a few times? I can definitely notice the difference going from a used racket to a freshly strung one, but the change is gradual and doesn't hugely effect my play. I can't see how people can justify cutting out strings every week, seems pretty expensive.

tlm 01-08-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCheese (Post 7106458)
I never understood people who say this. Do you guys really cut out your strings after playing a few times? I can definitely notice the difference going from a used racket to a freshly strung one, but the change is gradual and doesn't hugely effect my play. I can't see how people can justify cutting out strings every week, seems pretty expensive.

If you use poly and want to play with it the way it is supposed to play and want to prevent injury then you change it more often.

pvaudio 01-08-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7106341)
Did you say that a babolat racket with poly does not reward a spin generating stroke?

That racquet is a game improvement racquet, not a player's or tweener frame like most of their offerings. It's made for a more compact stroke where the racquet creates most of the pop.

Up&comer 01-08-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7106341)

Not a game improvement racket like that, no.

Edit: PV beat me to it.

canny 01-08-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Because dead poly is bad for your health and dosent play near the same in most of my experiences as fresh poly depending on the string and if its a hybrid or not of course.

Fuji 01-08-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

I dunno, Poly just doesn't last that long for me. It usually breaks or dies right around the 8 hour mark for me. During on season that's usually about 2 days of hitting. The way around it is to have a few sticks strung up the same. If I'm using my 5 PSL's for example, that's almost 2 weeks of hitting I can do before I have to restring, which isn't that bad in my books! :razz:

Also, once you suffer a pretty gnarly arm injury, if poly is still on the laundry list of strings you want to use, restringing frequently is the only way to help circumvent future injury!

-Fuji

tlm 01-08-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7106480)
That racquet is a game improvement racquet, not a player's or tweener frame like most of their offerings. It's made for a more compact stroke where the racquet creates most of the pop.

Okay I did not see what racket he was using until I looked at his profile.

tlm 01-08-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7106522)
I dunno, Poly just doesn't last that long for me. It usually breaks or dies right around the 8 hour mark for me. During on season that's usually about 2 days of hitting. The way around it is to have a few sticks strung up the same. If I'm using my 5 PSL's for example, that's almost 2 weeks of hitting I can do before I have to restring, which isn't that bad in my books! :razz:

Also, once you suffer a pretty gnarly arm injury, if poly is still on the laundry list of strings you want to use, restringing frequently is the only way to help circumvent future injury!

-Fuji

Good post and I think it is better to avoid the injury in the first place so change poly often if you are going to use it.

fortun8son 01-08-2013 06:07 PM

Take note, guys.
Bruce plays from a wheelchair.
I'm his stringer, though the BBO was not my doing, the Vendetta/Gamma syngut and the 'Frankenstring' are.
I'm quite concerned, needless to say.

Chicago Jack may well be right in his pinched nerve diagnosis.
Numbness and tingling are probably not due to equipment.

pvaudio 01-08-2013 07:15 PM

See, that's the problem with being a science student. You learn to read things that only pertain to the title. I completely skipped the numbness part in the HANDS. That does not sound like anything string related. Typically the first place you'll feel that is in the wrist, then the elbow and then the shoulder. I did see from his sig that he was a wchair player, but I don't think that should affect one's string choice.

fortun8son 01-08-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7106745)
I did see from his sig that he was a wchair player, but I don't think that should affect one's string choice.

True, but the swing mechanics are different when you have to sit.
It does force one to 'arm' the ball, which may result in neck and shoulder issues.