Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Thanasi (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450313)

Number1Coach 01-08-2013 05:57 PM

Thanasi

What do you guys think of this kid Thanasi from Australia ? 16 years old taking it to Steve Johnson our NCAA champion , I am not surprised but would like to hear some of the posters on here .

Chemist 01-08-2013 06:58 PM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=7106660

There is a thread in General Pro Player Discussion about Thanasi Kokkinakis.

Number1Coach 01-08-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7106724)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=7106660

There is a thread in General Pro Player Discussion about Thanasi Kokkinakis.

thanx didnt know but since hes a junior we could use one here too yeah??

MarTennis 01-09-2013 05:36 AM

I'm upset...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7106611)
What do you guys think of this kid Thanasi from Australia ? 16 years old taking it to Steve Johnson our NCAA champion , I am not surprised but would like to hear some of the posters on here .

I don't want to be negative, but, this is a big deal. Our hope, our Californian, the best colligiate player ever got whacked by a junior 6 years younger. :cry: It is a part of the neverending American tennis wake up calls, at least on the men's side.

The more I ponder it the more PO'd I become.

MarTennis 01-09-2013 05:41 AM

...or 2, or 3 or 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7106792)
thanx didnt know but since hes a junior we could use one here too yeah??

...I was hard on my charge this weekend after a loss. Not my normal M.O. He's 10.

He hit all his performance goals. The character of his tennis was better. I could actually see that he improved over the holidays, but I semi berated him because despite all of this it was time for him to hear that I expected a win, not just improvement. I regretted it later that evening, but this morning I don't. This Johnson loss has informed me greatly.

TCF 01-09-2013 05:47 AM

==========================

WARPWOODIE 01-09-2013 05:55 AM

Maybe Steve Johnson was caught off guard with the heat down under. If anyone has ever been in that part of the world this time of the year, they would know. Maybe it was part of Steve's preparation or lack there of...conditioning, aclimation, etc.

SoCal10s 01-09-2013 06:00 AM

are you guys saying S. Johnson lost ? ... I checked the results and SJ won that match .. what are talking about?

TCF 01-09-2013 06:28 AM

coaching32yrs 01-09-2013 06:40 AM

Thanasi has 13 Futures main draw wins and 14 main draw doubles wins. That does not include the wins in the qualifying to get to the main draw. Impressive for a 16 year old. No young American I can think of with that kind of resume. Posters on here need to look into this kid.

barringer97 01-09-2013 06:40 AM

Losing teen Thanasi Kokkinakis hailed future star

IT is rare that a loser in a qualifying tournament is lauded but anyone who witnessed Thanasi Kokkinakis in action at Melbourne Park yesterday will attest he is a rising star of Australian tennis.

The 16-year-old first displayed his outlandish talents when stepping in for the injured John Isner at last week's Hopman Cup in Perth. Although he played only an exhibition match against Fernando Verdasco, the former Australian Open semi-finalist was stunned by the South Australian's power.

"The serve that he has is ... professional, it's like much better than many professionals," Verdasco said.

"He will be like a great player if he can keep going like that. He's so young ... but like I said, he has unbelievable serves for his age and also a very good forehand and backhand."

His qualifying debut at grand slam level yesterday against American Stevie Johnson was entertaining both in scoreline and in the tennis produced.

Johnson is a two-time collegiate champion for the University of Southern California who reached the third round of the US Open in August, further testament to the Australian teenager's ability.

While Kokkinakis fell 6-4 6-7 (5) 17-15, he showed great poise to break Johnson's serve at 5-4 in the third set and then to stave off break point opportunities later in the set before fatiguing late in a match lasting well over three hours. That the Australian was tired is hardly surprising given the third set alone lasted 2hr 7m.

It prompted Darren Cahill, who has coached former world No 1s Andre Agassi and Lleyton Hewitt, to praise Kokkinakis.

"Really impressive young man. Looking forward to watching his progress in the coming years," Cahill tweeted.

tball2day 01-09-2013 06:44 AM

Johnson won. Period. Not sure stats in a first round qualifying means a thing in the long run.

WARPWOODIE 01-09-2013 06:45 AM

My bad on jumping to the conclusion that SJ lost in the match. I just read some of the post and assumed.

Anyway, Australia needs a good up and comer. I just hope that he doesn't have the baggage like Bernard Tomic. Anyone know his disposition/character? I did get to see the exhibition doubles match on the Tennis Channel where he partnered with Venus Williams...seems like a good kid:)

TCF 01-09-2013 06:46 AM

coaching32yrs 01-09-2013 06:50 AM

Like TCF and others have been saying- there are great juniors not playing the OB, Eddie Herr, or any ITF juniors. Here is one of them age 15- straight to the pros. Results are impressive.

barringer97 01-09-2013 06:58 AM

Highlights from the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb8yYj1KCQA

Stevie has a lot of action on the forehand, almost looks like a kick serve. Impressive serve from the 16 year old.

MarTennis 01-09-2013 07:00 AM

I hear you...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7107354)
Martennis....its tennis and its one loss. Who knows the circumstances, the kid could have gotten some lucky net cords on key points, Johnson could have been injured, looked past a 16 year old. Maybe if they played 10 times, Johnson would win the next 9.

Or perhaps the kid is just super talented and is the next big thing. Who knows. Tennis history is full of 1 match anomalies so we have no idea what this means.

...however it is hard not to be disappointed. Steve was undefeated in college. He is intense all the time. I would like to think there was some hellacious matches during his college career, such that my dissapointment would be justified here.

MY SUPER BAD. STEVIE PULLED IT OUT. A WIN IS A WIN. I DO NOT EXPECT DOMINANCE. GLAD TO BE WRONG ABOUT THE RESULT. GO STEVIE! GO USA!
Definitely will keep eye out on this 16 y.o. though

TCF 01-09-2013 07:02 AM

tball2day 01-09-2013 07:09 AM

coaching32yrs 01-09-2013 07:10 AM

Steve Johnson hit with our top American juniors recently and one went on the record saying Johnson is at a whole different level. He couldn't believe how much bigger Johnson's forehand was. One of the things to look for is a junior whose talent jumps out at you. At age 16 Ryan Harrison had an ATP top 100 pro level serve. It was incredible to see. Cahill and other have some nice things to say about this young man. We shall see.