Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Baseball Hall of Fame 2013 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450361)

r2473 01-09-2013 07:17 AM

Baseball Hall of Fame 2013

Who would you vote for?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hof13/story/_...ll-fame-ballot

stringertom 01-09-2013 08:26 AM

Biggio...3K hits, 7-time All-Star, multiple Gold Gloves, 50/50 doubles/SBs season, never an off-field headline. The vote is a sham if he isn't a first-ballot HOFer.

Chace 01-09-2013 08:38 AM

Biggio definately deserves to get in. I also would like to seed Dale Murphy get in

volleygirl 01-09-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 7107672)
Biggio...3K hits, 7-time All-Star, multiple Gold Gloves, 50/50 doubles/SBs season, never an off-field headline. The vote is a sham if he isn't a first-ballot HOFer.

Its not a sham since Biggio didnt make it. He wasnt an all time great, he was very good and hung around a long time to where he accumulated stats but he was never a guy you watched and said "this guy is an all time great." If he does make it I wont object but no big deal if he doesnt.

jaggy 01-09-2013 10:41 AM

Fat men in pajamas hitting a ball over a wall with a stick

J011yroger 01-09-2013 11:34 AM

Wow.

J

jamesblakefan#1 01-09-2013 11:35 AM

Bonds was a HOF before he took PED, same with Clemens. It's an absolute joke that baseball writers seem so high and mighty about the integrity of the game when there have been cheats and felons all throughout baseball history. I'm not excusing what they did, but the history of baseball cannot be told without Bonds/Clemens, and McGwire/Sosa for that matter who helped save MLB. They all should be let in IMO. Screw the PED sanctimony.

J011yroger 01-09-2013 11:51 AM

Agree 100%

J

volleygirl 01-09-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesblakefan#1 (Post 7108113)
Bonds was a HOF before he took PED, same with Clemens. It's an absolute joke that baseball writers seem so high and mighty about the integrity of the game when there have been cheats and felons all throughout baseball history. I'm not excusing what they did, but the history of baseball cannot be told without Bonds/Clemens, and McGwire/Sosa for that matter who helped save MLB. They all should be let in IMO. Screw the PED sanctimony.

I am sure Bonds' jersey and maybe his bat is in the HOF for the record of HRs he broke while cheating but he doesnt have to be enshrined. Same with Clemens and all the other frauds. They already made out by getting the huge contracts by cheating so you dont have to also reward them by enshrining them into the HOF. Good job voters.

J011yroger 01-09-2013 12:10 PM

I didn't realize that it was the writer's job to levy punishments against cheaters.

J

volleygirl 01-09-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7108165)
I didn't realize that it was the writer's job to levy punishments against cheaters.

J

I guess you never heard of Joe Jackson

J011yroger 01-09-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7108179)
I guess you never heard of Joe Jackson

While your guess is incorrect, I am curious as to what lead you to hazard such a guess.

J

volleygirl 01-09-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7108200)
While your guess is incorrect, I am curious as to what lead you to hazard such a guess.

J

You said you didnt know the writers could levy punishments against cheaters. Didnt they set a precedent by not voting him into the HOF?

Fearsome Forehand 01-09-2013 12:41 PM

I think all of the steroid boys should be forever banned from the HOF. They are a disgrace to the sport. As Tilden was to tennis. As OJ was to football. I think character should matter in HOF voting. Tilden and Simpson are both HOF'ers in their respective sports, sort of an embarrassment to their sports IMHO.

Should Lance be in the biking HOF?

I also think Jack Morris should make it, next year is his last year. He came close this year.

stringertom 01-09-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7108226)
You said you didnt know the writers could levy punishments against cheaters. Didnt they set a precedent by not voting him into the HOF?

You mean they have a "no shirts, no shoes, no enshrinement" policy in Cooperstown???:)

J011yroger 01-09-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7108226)

He was put on the ineligible list by the commissioner of baseball, and so was not on the ballot.

J

r2473 01-09-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7108231)
I think all of the steroid boys should be forever banned from the HOF.

Do you have a list?

Disgruntled Worker 01-09-2013 12:48 PM

I just wish the writers would come out and say why they're not letting Bonds or Clemens in. If you don't think cheaters should prosper, then say so. But Bonds and Clemens were shoe-ins into the Hall way before the PED scandals came up. And this poses another looming question: does ALex Rodriguez make it to Cooperstown? Big Papi? Manny Ramirez?

Fearsome Forehand 01-09-2013 12:51 PM

I think most of the users have been identified; Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Roger, Palmero, et al.

If Rose was barred for mere gambling as a manager ( and not against his own team), how does one justify not banning steroid users?

Maybe they should build an annex at Cooperstown shaped like a hypodermic needle and have a special steroid HOF section. :)

r2473 01-09-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Worker (Post 7108247)
And this poses another looming question: does ALex Rodriguez make it to Cooperstown? Big Papi? Manny Ramirez?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7108254)
I think most of the users have been identified; Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Roger, Palmero, et al.

Without a "smoking gun", you sort of have to assume that everyone (or no one) from this era was taking steroids, don't you?

Otherwise it is clearly just down to prejudice / "popularity contest". Which is fine I guess, but doesn't seem "right" (not that that "right" or "wrong" have much to do with it).

The logic seems to be "lets only punish the really, really, really good steroid users that the public doesn't like". I have no problem with this mind you, but there isn't a lot of sense to it all the same (Lance, are you listening.....)