Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Musburger/Kathrine Webb Backlash (More reason to hate ESPN) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450368)

dParis 01-09-2013 07:48 AM

Musburger/Kathrine Webb Backlash (More reason to hate ESPN)

Exactly who is it that is getting their panties knotted up by Brent Musburger's complimentary comments about Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron's girlfriend, Katherine Webb during Monday night's game?

The "Boo-Yah!" Network (ESPN) has issued a statement saying Musburger "went too far" with his comments about Webb. http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/08/us/ala...html?hpt=hp_c4

What hypocrites. Does Musburger direct the cameras during the broadcast? Why did ESPN keep showing Webb during the broadcast? I think if ESPN wanted to go the pansy PC rout they should have taken the blame as a network and not hung Musburger out on his own.

Musburger said, in a more home-spun G rated version, what everybody who I watched the game with was saying or thinking. The sujbject, Ms. Webb was not offended at all. Were you? If so, after playing in traffic on the nearest interstate highway, come back and please tell us why.

r2473 01-09-2013 07:54 AM

I was deeply offended by Mr. Musburger's comments.

(wow, those cars drive really fast and ought to obey the posted speed limits. someone could get hurt)

krz 01-09-2013 08:05 AM

"Wow, I'm telling you, quarterbacks -- you get all the good-looking women. What a beautiful woman,"

The audacity of that man! Using words like beautiful to further objectify women, what a pig.

I'm disappointed, I was at the very least expecting some type of sexual innuendo. hahaha ESPN what a joke that network is.

v-verb 01-09-2013 08:07 AM

She was REALLY pretty though;<)

McLovin 01-09-2013 08:16 AM

I was extremely offended...that Musburger later said that (paraphrasing here) "guys should go out and start throwing footballs...to get a girl like that".

Why not get a tennis racquet and play for the tennis team? They get the hot chicks as well, don't they?

I remember when I was in college. During a match all the hot girls would walk by the courts. Granted, they were on their way to the dorms, but they could have taken a different route...that was longer...

ArliHawk 01-09-2013 08:20 AM

It is ridiculous ESPN felt a need to apologize.

ollinger 01-09-2013 08:21 AM

Men as they get older are less concerned about what other people think of their remarks. Musburger is 73. Any corporation, including ESPN, would distance themselves from his remarks, which were unnecessary and a little juvenile.

v-verb 01-09-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArliHawk (Post 7107656)
It is ridiculous ESPN felt a need to apologize.

Testify!!!!:twisted:

ollinger 01-09-2013 08:36 AM

(note: ESPN routinely shows family members of star athletes in the stands during broadcasts, including obese grandmothers. So it would be hard to hang the director out to dry on this one.)

McLovin 01-09-2013 08:40 AM

ESPN also routinely zooms in on certain male & female body parts during sporting events. Ever notice the camera angles for NFL cheerleaders?

JRstriker12 01-09-2013 08:53 AM

I'ts never a good look to see and old dude slobber over a girl on TV, but having said that, I'm just wondering if this was part of some publicity campaign?

Webb is getting a lot of press and Mustberger was directed to draw attention to her in the broadcast.

Also, she there's got to be a reason she's not dating the waterboy or kicker or the dude who runs the school's computer labs...

No surprise that attractive, successful people with similar status attract similar people.

I think it might be more about the announcer looking like a creepy old guy eyeing up the High School cheerleaders.

tennismonkey 01-09-2013 08:56 AM

you guys are doing this posting thing all wrong.

more pics. less talking. amateurs.

NLBwell 01-09-2013 09:06 AM

It wasn't the words he said, they were overall pretty innocuous. It was the excitement with which he said them.
I believe it was Musberger, announcing a Florida St. game, who seemed to be drooling over a fan in the stands years ago. Later, she turned out to be the one Brett Favre had his issues with. I think that association made it worse.
Still, being the non-PC person that I am, I don't think the network should have apologized. Musberger should have spoken to the family and offered his apology to them personally and in private if they were offended. It really isn't anyone else's issue.

norcal 01-09-2013 09:08 AM

I found it amusing. Like someone else said Brent isn't the camera man, not his fault they focus on her and the qb's mom for like a minute. Was he over the top a bit? Sure but who cares.

That's why I like the Euro tennis feeds - they are always zooming in on hot girls in the audience. Nothing wrong with appreciating an attractive person imo.

krz 01-09-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennismonkey (Post 7107739)
you guys are doing this posting thing all wrong.

more pics. less talking. amateurs.

I'm down for the cause.

bad_call 01-09-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7107607)

(wow, those cars drive really fast and ought to obey the posted speed limits. someone could get hurt)

yeah same here.

(hey u got any stop sticks like the cops use?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dParis (Post 7107591)
Exactly who is it that is getting their panties knotted up by Brent Musburger's complimentary comments about Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron's girlfriend, Katherine Webb during Monday night's game?

The "Boo-Yah!" Network (ESPN) has issued a statement saying Musburger "went too far" with his comments about Webb. http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/08/us/ala...html?hpt=hp_c4

What hypocrites. Does Musburger direct the cameras during the broadcast? Why did ESPN keep showing Webb during the broadcast? I think if ESPN wanted to go the pansy PC rout they should have taken the blame as a network and not hung Musburger out on his own.

Musburger said, in a more home-spun G rated version, what everybody who I watched the game with was saying or thinking. The sujbject, Ms. Webb was not offended at all. Were you? If so, after playing in traffic on the nearest interstate highway, come back and please tell us why.

the rants and raves open again? ...cool

Fearsome Forehand 01-09-2013 10:20 AM

I'm sure a beauty contest contestant was irreparably injured because Brent commented favorably on her looks. :roll:

Not sure why this even became an issue as he said nothing derogatory or "creepy." He said she was pretty and then joked that QB's get all the pretty girls. Big deal.

Much ado about nothing.

dParis 01-09-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7107663)
Men as they get older are less concerned about what other people think of their remarks. Musburger is 73. Any corporation, including ESPN, would distance themselves from his remarks, which were unnecessary and a little juvenile.

And the result of uninhibited commentary is not necessarily a bad thing. If ESPN is the type of corporation to distance themselves from those type of comments, then they should have thought about distancing themselves from repeated shots of Ms. Webb in the stands. They became juvinile after the second shot, no?; and they were totally unnecessary. What would be left of the broadcast if all of the "unnecessary" content were removed?

The only thing I'm finding offensive about the incident, so far, is the ageism that is becoming part of the argument.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 7107732)
I'ts never a good look to see and old dude slobber over a girl on TV, but having said that, I'm just wondering if this was part of some publicity campaign?

I think it might be more about the announcer looking like a creepy old guy eyeing up the High School cheerleaders.

Again with the ageism. That old man should know his place, right? :-?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7107761)
It wasn't the words he said, they were overall pretty innocuous. It was the excitement with which he said them.
I believe it was Musberger, announcing a Florida St. game, who seemed to be drooling over a fan in the stands years ago. Later, she turned out to be the one Brett Favre had his issues with. I think that association made it worse.

But then who really cares about any of that?
Quote:

Still, being the non-PC person that I am, I don't think the network should have apologized. Musberger should have spoken to the family and offered his apology to them personally and in private if they were offended. It really isn't anyone else's issue.
For the record, Ms. Webb wasn't offended, but rather flattered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 7107787)
I'm down for the cause.

Looks like they are going to start shooting " a movie". :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7107607)

Hey, no way you could have made it from your cave, to the interstate then back to your cave in that amount of time. Or have you recently moved into new, under-viaduct housing?

volleygirl 01-09-2013 10:30 AM

The beauty queen was on some show this morning and even said "No apology was needed because he was complimentary so who could be offended by that?" Well, the lezbos who complained to ESPN were the ones offended and ESPN should have told them "tough luck."

acura9927 01-09-2013 11:12 AM

She looks old like 28-30
Too much eye makeup.
My pet peeve, racoon eyes are out!