Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I love Polystar Energy 1.20 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450398)

polytheist 01-09-2013 03:54 PM

I love Polystar Energy 1.20
 
I use it as a cross with gut (48c/52m cp) and the feel is perfect for my all court game. But it sucks that it only lasts for one day (3-4 hours)! That makes it an expensive proposition. I don't want to spend as much time on the stringer as i do on the court.

Anything out there like this string that will last me a little longer?

cltennis21 01-09-2013 03:59 PM

There's a weiss cannon string that's similar as normally weiss cannon strings hold good tension. It's like super twist or something like that. I beilive it's also the same material and color.

polytheist 01-09-2013 04:52 PM

You mean TurboTwist?

TonyB 01-09-2013 05:30 PM

I'm in the same boat. Been using Energy for a while and there are only a couple of strings that are anywhere near it in terms of performance. WC Turbotwist is one of them.

I restring just about every time I play. Sometimes I can play twice without restringing. I'm going to try Polystar Strike to see if it lasts a bit longer, but it's stiffer for sure. So it might not play quite the same.

Some people have made good claims about Mosquito Bite, but I haven't tried it.

zapvor 01-09-2013 05:44 PM

really?
we have a huge reel of it and its barely used. i am talking like a 5000ft reel

rodrigoamaral 01-09-2013 06:56 PM

Agree!! One of the best strings, if not the BEST string on the market when freshly strung.. does lose tension but for the first few hours, your in heaven:)

polytheist 01-10-2013 09:21 AM

turns out i do have a 1/2 set of 1.20 turbotwist, i'll give it a shot.

slowfox 01-10-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 7108749)
I'm in the same boat. Been using Energy for a while and there are only a couple of strings that are anywhere near it in terms of performance. WC Turbotwist is one of them.

I restring just about every time I play. Sometimes I can play twice without restringing. I'm going to try Polystar Strike to see if it lasts a bit longer, but it's stiffer for sure. So it might not play quite the same.

Some people have made good claims about Mosquito Bite, but I haven't tried it.

I just tested both this week.

Turbo Twist does everything good, but nothing particularly stands out as spectacular. Very consistent performance. Comfy like a multi. I'm actually thinking about switching to it.

Mosquito Bite had a livelier stringbed, great spin, and extra power. My serves were getting better pace compared to other polys I've tried. Comfort is decent. I did spray more balls long than I normally do on groundstrokes. I really liked the pace MB gave me, but TT was more consistent.

dave t 01-10-2013 10:47 AM

Did you try them in full beds or as crosses with gut?

slowfox 01-10-2013 01:36 PM

Full bed poly.

TonyB 01-12-2013 08:11 PM

Just strung up my frame with PS Strike at the same tension as my old standard PS Energy. Right away, I measure a tighter overall stringbed (with stringmeter) with the Strike as opposed to the Energy. Bouncing some balls off the strings, it feels different too. More lively, much tighter.

I think I prefer the Energy, but I'll see how the Strike plays tomorrow.

TonyB 01-13-2013 01:28 PM

Update: The PS Strike is NOT even close to the same string as PS Energy. Slightly more power, less control, less feel, less spin. Lack of feel and touch. Held tension a bit better, but still dropping faster than other polys.

Anyways, I'm going to stick with PS Energy and I'll just have to keep restringing frequently. It's just not worth playing with anything else at this point. Much more fun playing with the Energy.

rodrigoamaral 01-13-2013 07:03 PM

^^ agree Poly star energy is in a league of it's own..

No wonder Steve Johnson swears by it and has been using Energy for many years now...

JT_2eighty 01-13-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 7116951)
Update: The PS Strike is NOT even close to the same string as PS Energy. Slightly more power, less control, less feel, less spin. Lack of feel and touch. Held tension a bit better, but still dropping faster than other polys.

Anyways, I'm going to stick with PS Energy and I'll just have to keep restringing frequently. It's just not worth playing with anything else at this point. Much more fun playing with the Energy.

Hey, sorry you didn't like it. You may want to try crossing it with Energy mains, if you are running low on Energy.

I've been toying around with Turbo mains/Strike cross, and it's quite nice. I'm also a huge fan of full Energy, and even moreso full Turbo (which is simply textured Energy); and personally the Turbo/Strike combo seems to have a longer playability span than full Turbo or full Energy. I simply don't have the time to restring every other match, but if I did, I would have stuck with full Energy.

With Turbo/Strike, you get much of the feel of Turbo, with the added tension stability of Strike, which also allows the Turbo mains to snap back better than Turbo crosses which are high in string-string friction. And Turbo compared to Energy has a lot more spin capability.

Then again, I do realize full Energy is definitely a unique offering, so if that is your preference, nothing else is going to match it exactly.



back on topic, to the OP: if you want a better cross to gut, you should definitely consider WC Mosquito Bite. It is almost as soft as Energy, and miles ahead in terms of tension hold. I have used both as poly crosses to gut mains, and WC MB probably last 3-4 times as long, no exaggeration.

TonyB 01-14-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 7117812)
Hey, sorry you didn't like it. You may want to try crossing it with Energy mains, if you are running low on Energy.

Well, Strike isn't the worst string in the world, but I really expected it to play closer to Energy than it was. To my knowledge, they aren't discontinuing Energy, it's just that TW isn't carrying it any longer. So I should still be able to buy it somewhere.

It's just amazing how much different the strings played. It's almost as if they are made from different materials entirely. Strike plays pretty much like most other copolys. Energy is in a league of its own.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse