Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone with singlesitis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450415)

MasturB 01-09-2013 08:20 PM

Anyone with singlesitis?
 
First and foremost, I'm a self taught player that has spent the last 5 years hitting and playing singles. I play doubles occasionally and I MEAN occasionally.

I started playing more pickup doubles recently, and I noticed my brain and muscle memory is wired to hit the ball in the singles court. At the net when I have the entire doubles lane open, my brain for some reason aims for the singles alley line. Returning balls are becoming an issue too, because I'm frequently hitting singles returns too close for a poacher to capitalize on, leaving a huge part of the court wide open.

Any way to fix this (other than the obvious of playing more doubles)? I don't want to screw up my timing and conditioning with singles as I have a tourney coming up soon and last thing I need is brain wiring malfunctions.

TomT 01-09-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasturB (Post 7109073)
First and foremost, I'm a self taught player that has spent the last 5 years hitting and playing singles. I play doubles occasionally and I MEAN occasionally.

I started playing more pickup doubles recently, and I noticed my brain and muscle memory is wired to hit the ball in the singles court. At the net when I have the entire doubles lane open, my brain for some reason aims for the singles alley line. Returning balls are becoming an issue too, because I'm frequently hitting singles returns too close for a poacher to capitalize on, leaving a huge part of the court wide open.

Any way to fix this (other than the obvious of playing more doubles)? I don't want to screw up my timing and conditioning with singles as I have a tourney coming up soon and last thing I need is brain wiring malfunctions.

Not sure what the problem is. I'm a very low level player and play singles almost exclusively, but when I play doubles (almost always with players much better than me at singles) it's a welcome change to be able to hit the ball a little wider.

5263 01-09-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasturB (Post 7109073)

Any way to fix this (other than the obvious of playing more doubles)? I don't want to screw up my timing and conditioning with singles as I have a tourney coming up soon and last thing I need is brain wiring malfunctions.

I'm more the opposite. It's sort of tough for me not to hit into the alley a bit
wide for singles :(
My Smart Targets did help me a good bit with that though.

westside 01-09-2013 10:45 PM

It's even worse playing nothing but doubles for 4 months straight, then trying to get back into singles.

Relinquis 01-10-2013 01:17 AM

in a word... focus

Tmano 01-10-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasturB (Post 7109073)
First and foremost, I'm a self taught player that has spent the last 5 years hitting and playing singles. I play doubles occasionally and I MEAN occasionally.

I started playing more pickup doubles recently, and I noticed my brain and muscle memory is wired to hit the ball in the singles court. At the net when I have the entire doubles lane open, my brain for some reason aims for the singles alley line. Returning balls are becoming an issue too, because I'm frequently hitting singles returns too close for a poacher to capitalize on, leaving a huge part of the court wide open.

Any way to fix this (other than the obvious of playing more doubles)? I don't want to screw up my timing and conditioning with singles as I have a tourney coming up soon and last thing I need is brain wiring malfunctions.

I'm a singles player only and when i play double which happens reraly I hate it and i play pretty bad because i don't care. i like to own the court and go to net and close the point when i want.
however to fix your problem is easy, you have two options:

stop playing doubles because you don't care either much
or become really good at it so your timing can get only better and use it for singles too......however it might take some time

luvforty 01-10-2013 06:52 AM

doubles.... yawn.

Muppet 01-10-2013 08:03 AM

How about if when you play doubles you only hit to the singles part of the court. Or not; just a suggestion.

tlm 01-10-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasturB (Post 7109073)
First and foremost, I'm a self taught player that has spent the last 5 years hitting and playing singles. I play doubles occasionally and I MEAN occasionally.

I started playing more pickup doubles recently, and I noticed my brain and muscle memory is wired to hit the ball in the singles court. At the net when I have the entire doubles lane open, my brain for some reason aims for the singles alley line. Returning balls are becoming an issue too, because I'm frequently hitting singles returns too close for a poacher to capitalize on, leaving a huge part of the court wide open.

Any way to fix this (other than the obvious of playing more doubles)? I don't want to screw up my timing and conditioning with singles as I have a tourney coming up soon and last thing I need is brain wiring malfunctions.


The way I fixed that is to only play singles.

tlm 01-10-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7109591)
doubles.... yawn.

I agree 100%.

LeeD 01-10-2013 05:11 PM

The top pros don't play doubles...yawn.
You make less money playing doubles...yawn.
Girls don't watch you play doubles....yawn.
You get 1/4 time to hit the ball...yawn.
You don't get to run...yawn.
You'd actually have to learn something new...yawn.
You can't do it, so you might as well knock it...yawn.

Timbo's hopeless slice 01-10-2013 05:42 PM

meh, good practice for CC rally balls and volleys.

The league I play is singles/dubs, so I get to play both.

it's fun, one of the teams has a guy who won the Wimbledon dubs as a Junior back in the day, can volley a bit...

luvforty 01-10-2013 05:46 PM

only if all 4 guys can play... otherwise that 1 poor sucker becomes the ball magnet.

yawn.

MarinaHighTennis 01-10-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7111174)
I agree 100%.

I disagree and so does this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Vqp6UveIU

SystemicAnomaly 01-10-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7109591)
doubles.... yawn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7111174)
I agree 100%.

Singles snobs...

You guys are undoubtedly doing it wrong... or playing with the wrong people.

SystemicAnomaly 01-10-2013 11:03 PM

^ Singles is for people with mediocre reflexes, suspect volleying skills and an inability to master teamwork and complex strategy skills. :twisted:

To the OP -- try some doubles drills with targets set up in the alley.

tlm 01-11-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7111797)
^ Singles is for people with mediocre reflexes, suspect volleying skills and an inability to master teamwork and complex strategy skills. :twisted:

To the OP -- try some doubles drills with targets set up in the alley.


Doubles is for fat, out of shape, slow people that have no endurance and cannot take the pressure of singles. Because in dubs every time they lose they blame their partner.

Doubles is more like volley ball than tennis, get to the net and hit a volley or the biggest thrill smash a floater with overhead standing 3 feet from the net, wow that is awesome. Of course that is a big thrill because most cannot hit anything forcing from the back court.

I watch the top guys at my club playing dubs, the average point lasts 3 shots. The majority of the time is spent picking up the balls and getting ready to serve.

AYone 01-11-2013 03:56 AM

Big doubles hater here too! Just want to scream at my teammate to get out of the way when I'm serving.

TheBoom 01-11-2013 06:32 AM

I'd say on your returns take it earlier than your used to so you can get a little more Angle on the ball. I've found that in doubles topspin tends to work against you if the person at the net knows anything if you hit the ball a little flatter you'll stand a better chance. If you're worried about the alley it just takes practice. I will say doubles helps touch and working on finishing shots. It feels like doubles rewards risk more than singles so if you are a grinder you'll have a harder time getting adjusted. Just my opinion

5263 01-11-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7111797)
^ Singles is for people with mediocre reflexes, suspect volleying skills and an inability to master teamwork and complex strategy skills. :twisted:

To the OP -- try some doubles drills with targets set up in the alley.

Much truth here, but to each their own.
Imo doubles is way more athletic/dynamic, &
singles is more aerobic!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse