Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Racket cover for a single racquet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450425)

treblings 01-10-2013 12:54 AM

Racket cover for a single racquet
 
manufacturers seem not to produce them anymore,or less and less
iīve heard that it has to do with cutting costs.
am i the only one who misses them?
if i am, i guess i wonīt get any posts in this thread:)

robbo1970 01-10-2013 12:59 AM

They do come with the Dunlop Biomimetic range. I have the single racket covers for both of my 300's. And I believe Prince still provide a full length cover for their rackets too, at least they do in the UK. But an alternative would be a 3 racket bag....theyre pretty slim.

treblings 01-10-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7109297)
They do come with the Dunlop Biomimetic range. I have the single racket covers for both of my 300's. And I believe Prince still provide a full length cover for their rackets too, at least they do in the UK. But an alternative would be a 3 racket bag....theyre pretty slim.

some brands i guess still produce them, maybe more for their top player frames than others?!?

tennytive 01-10-2013 06:24 AM

Once I got a bag I stopped using my covers. I have two old school POG suede covers that are fabulous, but sit in a box in our garage now.

Maybe one of the big discount stores sells generic covers. I've seen odd ones on CL from time to time. If you look, I'm sure you can find one somewhere.

struggle 01-10-2013 06:48 AM

i throw them away, but likely still have some laying around...

Andyroo10567 01-10-2013 09:13 AM

I had about 7 of these head ones. I always wondered if i could sew them together to make a 7 pack bag. I'll try it sometime. Can't find most at the moment.

LeeD 01-10-2013 01:44 PM

I seldom carry ONE racket, so a packpack or tennis bag carries my gear.
What can you do with ONE racket, no balls, no towell, no extra grips, no tape, no extra socks, practice balls, hats?

robbo1970 01-11-2013 04:07 AM

Thats true.

I think its a fairly good idea to get a multiple racket bag, even if you just have the one racket, you will then have room for all of the other vital junk needed to play.

robbo1970 01-11-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7109302)
some brands i guess still produce them, maybe more for their top player frames than others?!?

Yes thats true. I am actually the top player in my area using the Dunlop Bio300. I am also the only one and therefore the worst as well.:)

slowfox 01-11-2013 01:35 PM

Slight tangent...
I don't understand the 12-bag mentality. How much stuff does a 3.5 need to bring to the courts anyway..? I see it all the time at my local courts.

treblings 01-11-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7112032)
Yes thats true. I am actually the top player in my area using the Dunlop Bio300. I am also the only one and therefore the worst as well.:)

i am actually the top player for the bio 300tour in my area:) and yes, also the only one:)

Alex78 01-11-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7113294)
Slight tangent...
I don't understand the 12-bag mentality. How much stuff does a 3.5 need to bring to the courts anyway..? I see it all the time at my local courts.

Ha, I feel the same - I always use a Head 3-bag and a separate Reebok bag (medium-sized) for my gear. Don't need to look like a pro out there.

Alex78 01-11-2013 10:57 PM

However, as for the extinction of the single racket cover, I just think that a cover belongs to a racket. If I spend a substantial amount of money for a racket, I actually expect that I can carry - or store - this instrument without fear of it getting scratches EVEN IF I don't possess another racket bag.
I'm all for racket companies making good money, and I don't need the almost baroque and plush racket covers of the 80ies, but something with a company logo on it would be nice!

treblings 01-12-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex78 (Post 7114214)
However, as for the extinction of the single racket cover, I just think that a cover belongs to a racket. If I spend a substantial amount of money for a racket, I actually expect that I can carry - or store - this instrument without fear of it getting scratches EVEN IF I don't possess another racket bag.
I'm all for racket companies making good money, and I don't need the almost baroque and plush racket covers of the 80ies, but something with a company logo on it would be nice!

well said, i agree with you. thatīs why i started the thread i guess, to see if iīm in a minority with my opinion.
from the posts here it looks like it:)

struggle 01-12-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7113294)
Slight tangent...
I don't understand the 12-bag mentality. How much stuff does a 3.5 need to bring to the courts anyway..? I see it all the time at my local courts.

they actually work quite well for toting extra stuff. I've been using a twelve pack for four/five rackets (ok, im not a 3.5, but only 4.0, as if that matters).

having said that, I've dumped the racket bags and got a nice North Face duffel to carry my gear.

Dags 01-12-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7109302)
some brands i guess still produce them, maybe more for their top player frames than others?!?

From what I've observed it's the other way around. This makes some sense: those who use players racquets are likely to have more than one and probably use a bag, whereas the more casual player will turn up to the court with their single frame in the cover.

You may also find availability differs according to market expectation. As robbo1970 noted, the majority of racquets still ship with a cover in the UK. It wouldn't be the first regional difference; I've never found a reason for why Europeans get sold balls in tubes of 4, whereas Americans have 3.

That said, I never use the cover any more. Maybe as I get older and become a weekend warrior. ;-)

treblings 01-12-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7114636)
From what I've observed it's the other way around. This makes some sense: those who use players racquets are likely to have more than one and probably use a bag, whereas the more casual player will turn up to the court with their single frame in the cover.

You may also find availability differs according to market expectation. As robbo1970 noted, the majority of racquets still ship with a cover in the UK. It wouldn't be the first regional difference; I've never found a reason for why Europeans get sold balls in tubes of 4, whereas Americans have 3.

That said, I never use the cover any more. Maybe as I get older and become a weekend warrior. ;-)

good point about how serious players are more likely to use bags.
as far as regional differences are concerned, we europeans have happily arrived at 3-ball tubes. donīt know about the u.k.

Prodigy1234 01-12-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7109832)
I had about 7 of these head ones. I always wondered if i could sew them together to make a 7 pack bag. I'll try it sometime. Can't find most at the moment.

Haha, I hope you try

Dags 01-13-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7115154)
as far as regional differences are concerned, we europeans have happily arrived at 3-ball tubes. donīt know about the u.k.

They'll have to prise that 4th ball from my cold, dead hands. ;-)

I'm mildly surprised that 3 balls is the norm on the mainland. TW Europe seem to offer more 4-ball tubes than 3.

treblings 01-13-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7116388)
They'll have to prise that 4th ball from my cold, dead hands. ;-)

I'm mildly surprised that 3 balls is the norm on the mainland. TW Europe seem to offer more 4-ball tubes than 3.

iīm here in Austria in the middle of Europe and if youīre buying your tennis balls in shops, 3 ball-cans are more common.
smart choice is to buy them through the internet, TWE and others.
unless you got a good contact with a retailer:)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse