Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Are the ages strictly enforced in the new 55 Leagues? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450429)

Raul_SJ 01-10-2013 03:03 AM

Are the ages strictly enforced in the new 55 Leagues?

If the other teams agree, are younger players allowed to join?

I was wondering because I was surprised to see some players that I wouldn't
have figured to be 55... But maybe they dont look their age.

wrxinsc 01-10-2013 03:05 AM

No way will they be allowed to play if they are not at least turning 55 during the year. Unless they are so crazy as to lie about when their date of birth is, but c'mon man.

Alchemy-Z 01-10-2013 03:08 AM

I don't think the computer would let you sign up if you were under 55.

they probably don't look their age.

It seems like every time I play singles with a 40+ guy they always say something like " Oh boy get to play one of you fresh young bucks...what are you 22...23?"

or they love to say "Boy I am twice your age"

and I am always saying " So you are 66?"

lol half the time I have to get my drivers license out to prove I am 33

tennis tom 01-10-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul_SJ (Post 7109355)

... But maybe they dont look their age.

Plastic surgery.

Spokewench 01-10-2013 09:19 AM

Just like any age group in USTA, can't play unless you turn for instance 55 in that year.

SwankPeRFection 01-10-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7109362)
I don't think the computer would let you sign up if you were under 55.

they probably don't look their age.

It seems like every time I play singles with a 40+ guy they always say something like " Oh boy get to play one of you fresh young bucks...what are you 22...23?"

or they love to say "Boy I am twice your age"

and I am always saying " So you are 66?"

lol half the time I have to get my drivers license out to prove I am 33

4 more years and I get to play in the 40+ old fart league. Yey... twice as many hours on court. Can't wait to get the stink eye that I look like I'm in my 20's. Not my fault you let yourself go and look old and fat.

Raul_SJ 01-10-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7111359)
4 more years and I get to play in the 40+ old fart league. Yey... twice as many hours on court. Can't wait to get the stink eye that I look like I'm in my 20's. Not my fault you let yourself go and look old and fat.

You have four more years.

There's still plenty of time to get old and fat.

heninfan99 01-11-2013 04:13 AM

As long as you pay they don't mind.

slowfox 01-11-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heninfan99 (Post 7112038)
As long as you pay they don't mind.

Why have age divisions at all then??

goober 01-11-2013 07:56 AM

Of course they are enforced. You can't even sign up for an age group unless you are the right age or turning that age in the calendar year. I suppose you could lie and say you are older than you actually are when you get your membership but I would be shocked if anybody would actually do that to play in an older age division. Most people lie in the other direction:)

There are a lot of people that look young for their age. Before I gained weight lately, one guy I played commented that it was he was not up to playing the young bucks in singles after a match. He was shocked to find out that I was only one year younger than him. Otoh this one guy who was hawking his anti-aging products to anybody would listen I found out was 42 but looked like in his mid 50s. Not exactly the best spokesman for his products:-P

Raul_SJ 01-11-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7112448)
Of course they are enforced. You can't even sign up for an age group unless you are the right age or turning that age in the calendar year. I suppose you could lie and say you are older than you actually are when you get your membership but I would be shocked if anybody would actually do that to play in an older age division. Most people lie in the other direction:)

One woman was telling everyone she was in her forties and now she just joined the 55 League. :shock:

slowfox 01-11-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul_SJ (Post 7112546)
One woman was telling everyone she was in her forties and now she just joined the 55 League. :shock:

She was probably 49 for six years in a row. That's how it works for women. It's biology.. :)

Cindysphinx 01-12-2013 11:23 AM

When I played Seniors (50+) at sectionals, I thought I looked on the younger side of 50. Until I saw this other lady. Good lord, I would have guessed she was some other player's daughter. Didn't look a day over 25.

But no, she was my age, just with better hair and clothes. :(