Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Inconsistent line calls in Rec play (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450438)

dlam 01-10-2013 06:07 AM

Inconsistent line calls in Rec play

Played another league match and I still bothered by inconsistent line calls
There were a few serves that I felt looked long but the player on the other side played it. So it like I'll play then point cause I can't call my first serve out

That's okay as I'm used to this by now
I also play some close ones when I returning serves

What really irratates me is during the point is that during the rally some players give up on the point and watch the ball land
Invariable it's very close to the line and their line calls become so more specific so if it lands 2-3 inches outside the line it's call out.
In the same situation when returning the ball 2-3 inches out they don't call it out and play it
It really pathetic cause most times they are out of position and convinently calls those close ones out. While when they are in position on the ROS they call the close ones in
I hate inconsistency in calling
Just venting.

shazbot 01-10-2013 06:46 AM

I think you are over reacting...

You don't know if your shots on the baseline are 2-3 inches out or if they are just barely in.

Fast moving serves towards the back of the service line are hard to call and almost all rec players play out serves. There's no way you can definitely tell if the serve was in or out. How about just serve and be ready?...

I played a USTA tournament at Harvard and since it was raining we needed to use the indoor courts. The upper balcony gives a great birds eye view to watch line calls. Almost everyone played first serves that were clearly out. After my match, my buddy even told me that I play too many out serves.

IA-SteveB 01-10-2013 06:58 AM

Rec play is full of inconsistency. You've just got to roll with it and have fun. If you start to get uptight about rec play, it won't do your game any good at all. There will always be points taken and given away by bad calls. I just concentrate on my game more and try not to give away obvious free points with bad unforced errors. If you sweat the small stuff it will impact your game.

gmatheis 01-10-2013 07:20 AM

When your effort is all on hitting the ball back you often give a larger margin of error because you aren't concentrating on exactly where the ball lands. This is why people will often play a ball that is out by an inch or two when they are trying to hit the ball still.

On the other hand when you have given up on hitting the ball and just watch to see if it lands in or out you can be more precise as all your concentration is focused on just seeing if the ball landed in or out.

SO be grateful that you have been getting some "benefit of the doubt" calls when your ball is only an inch out, rather than being angry when they actually call it.

North 01-10-2013 07:55 AM

People play a lot of out (usually long) serves in rec play. It can be tough to tell in singles (which is what I play).

Even other than serves....I get to watch a lot of rec and league (USTA & others) matches from waiting areas up above courts and there are tons of bad calls other than serves in rec/league tennis. I don't think most people are cheating at all. But rec/league tennis is a big source of self-esteem for some people and they see what they need to see psychologically. It may be pathetic but it is essentially subconscious, the people who do it are otherwise basically decent folks, and you'd never get people to understand/admit that's what is going on. This is just what I've observed.

I don't let it bother me. When I play people making bad calls, I just imagine myself across the net from a pubescent adolescent with that desperate need kids have to prove they are worthwhile. Just smile, be the grown-up, and don't indulge the annoyance that will likely affect your play.

spot 01-10-2013 08:14 AM

You are *****ing because some people aren't playing enough of your balls that land 2 or 3 inches out!?

dlam 01-10-2013 08:37 AM

Mayba cause I new to match play.
I *****ing cause on the ROS most guys are ready to return the serve , so what appears out to me as a server (looks long past the baseline) is played.
Then when it comes to the rally, and the player on the other side quits chasing the ball and is out of position becomes Mr. Eagle Eyes and makes those same close calls that he was generous with on the ROS , calls "out"

Damm inconsistency.

r2473 01-10-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7109764)
Mayba cause I new to match play.
I *****ing cause on the ROS most guys are ready to return the serve , so what appears out to me as a server (looks long past the baseline) is played.
Then when it comes to the rally, and the player on the other side quits chasing the ball and is out of position becomes Mr. Eagle Eyes and makes those same close calls that he was generous with on the ROS , calls "out"

Damm inconsistency.

It's all part of the game. You just have to learn to deal with it. Serve calls are always tough. On the close ones, a lot will depend on if the returner makes a good return (make a good return, the serve was in; miss it, the serve was out).

Here's another hint for you. The guy that is generous with his line calling when he is up 5-2, is going to be "less generous" at the end of a tight set. Just human nature.

Here's another tip. Your opponent is thinking the exact same things about you with respect to your line calling.

slowfox 01-10-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 7109726)
*****ing

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7109764)
*****ing.

I'd like to think I usually can infer which bad word people are blanking out when they type stuff like this, but I can't figure this particular ***** out... :(

dlam 01-10-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7109791)
It's all part of the game. You just have to learn to deal with it. Serve calls are always tough. On the close ones, a lot will depend on if the returner makes a good return (make a good return, the serve was in; miss it, the serve was out).

Here's another hint for you. The guy that is generous with his line calling when he is up 5-2, is going to be "less generous" at the end of a tight set. Just human nature.

Here's another tip. Your opponent is thinking the exact same things about you with respect to your line calling.

No im consistently generous in my baseline calls.
But if this the norm then
you are saying cheating is allowed in rec play?

Mauvaise 01-10-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7109812)
I'd like to think I usually can infer which bad word people are blanking out when they type stuff like this, but I can't figure this particular ***** out... :(

Fantastic username/post combo ;)

If I had to guess, this particular ***** is the proper name for a female dog with an -ing tossed at the end.

OrangePower 01-10-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7109638)
When your effort is all on hitting the ball back you often give a larger margin of error because you aren't concentrating on exactly where the ball lands. This is why people will often play a ball that is out by an inch or two when they are trying to hit the ball still.

On the other hand when you have given up on hitting the ball and just watch to see if it lands in or out you can be more precise as all your concentration is focused on just seeing if the ball landed in or out.

SO be grateful that you have been getting some "benefit of the doubt" calls when your ball is only an inch out, rather than being angry when they actually call it.

Exactly this.

When I am returning serve or am trying to set up for a deep rally shot, I'm concentrating on making the shot, looking to see where my opponent is moving, etc. So usually I get only a brief look at where the ball actually lands. Under that circumstance I end up playing a lot of out balls because I don't want to make an out call unless I'm sure.

On the other hand, if I'm just watching to see where the ball lands, but nothing else, I can get a much better look at it, and can make my calls with more confidence.

spot 01-10-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauvaise (Post 7109921)

If I had to guess, this particular ***** is the proper name for a female dog with an -ing tossed at the end.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

r2473 01-10-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7109854)
No im consistently generous in my baseline calls.
But if this the norm then
you are saying cheating is allowed in rec play?

I've yet to meet the person that doesn't report to being generous in line calls. Or at the very least, everyone will report that they will always give the benefit of the doubt and play any ball that they are not 100% sure was 100% out.

And yet, disputes over line calls are common. Go figure.........

slowfox 01-10-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauvaise (Post 7109921)

Told ya I'm "slow". Haha. Been hit in the head too many times with a tennis ball... :neutral: Dodgeball Doubles... :)

SwankPeRFection 01-10-2013 06:39 PM

Yep, I know a guy who plays slightly long serves. Bad part is, since he pushes everything back most of the time, it's hard to tell if he's just deflecting the serve back and will follow up with an out call or not going to call it and play the point out. Seems interesting how the serves are always "in" when his return is good but "out" when the return gets botched. Hummmm....

IA-SteveB 01-10-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7111365)
Yep, I know a guy who plays slightly long serves. Bad part is, since he pushes everything back most of the time, it's hard to tell if he's just deflecting the serve back and will follow up with an out call or not going to call it and play the point out. Seems interesting how the serves are always "in" when his return is good but "out" when the return gets botched. Hummmm....

I can definitely see where that would be annoying.

tennis tom 01-11-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7109513)

...Played another league match...

Play Senior Age Group tournaments instead and you will get the right call. You will get a good shellacking for awhile but consider it cheap lessons. Use your team and league matches for practice for your real competition. Your frustrations with rec/league players will not lessen, they will only get greater as your game improves. These players eyesight and ethics are not going to improve with age, they will only get worse, they are "ham"atures. They have trouble tracking a close fast ball, they will cheat themselves too--but eight out of ten times it's you they cheat. They haven't heard of the admonition in The Code, when in doubt the call goes to your opponent or to ask for your opponent's help on calls since they may have a better angle of view--or better eyesight. Age Group players are like pros--and many of them are teaching pros--hence a cheap lesson for you on what it takes to really win at tennis and maybe life.

You must learn to let go of the cheating by your opponents in your practice matches. Your goal should be to hit as many practice shots with intention as you can to improve. Arguing and letting your mind stray from improving your game to your opponents "games" will delay your progress. If your opponent screws you on one point, that could account for 25% of that game--it's going to be hard to overcome that kind of unfair advantage--make him buy the beer after and don't be too anxious to show your new can of balls.