Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bosworth doing racquets again (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450535)

Crisp 01-10-2013 09:48 PM

Bosworth doing racquets again

Bosworth seem like they are back into making racquets for us lay mans. I have been organising a few new sticks from them and it seems like it is going to go ahead and they have been quite thorough and very quick with their service.

magnut 01-10-2013 10:18 PM

Good to hear. Those racquets are a pretty classic design. Always suprised they were not more popular.

njsigman 01-11-2013 04:53 AM

For awhile they would not respond to phone calls, emails or the online questionnaires. I think there were a couple of old threads about this. Sounds like they might have finally changed their ways. Also, they run $400 and up!

ollinger 01-11-2013 07:30 AM

The guru, Warren Bosworth, is deceased. How much junior knows about racquet design is an open question.

Crisp 01-12-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsigman (Post 7112079)
For awhile they would not respond to phone calls, emails or the online questionnaires. I think there were a couple of old threads about this. Sounds like they might have finally changed their ways. Also, they run $400 and up!

Yeah they said they lost a lot of the questionnaires and were very busy with pro frames. Maybe now that steps and Martina no longer use bos they have time for the rest of us.

Crisp 01-13-2013 02:39 AM

Really looking forward to getting these. Lefty 78 reckons they use only the very best graphite.

tailofdog 01-13-2013 10:02 AM

I think both Martina and, Lendl stopped using them.
I watched Martina play with a Head racquet in Sydney.
She walked on court with 2 racquets and, no bag. they are all 96sq in.
If you had a chance to hit with all the racquets out there would, a $400 plus Bosworth really stand out?

Kal-El 34 01-13-2013 10:20 AM

one of the big money guys at my club has a plethora of bosworth frames that he hits with. i tried them and wasn't a fan personally, but they look awesome

Crisp 01-13-2013 11:51 AM

I just wanted to give them a try. Was a 30th birthday present originally... Mind you I am now 31, so it has taken a while.

yonexRx32 01-14-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailofdog (Post 7116713)
I think both Martina and, Lendl stopped using them.
I watched Martina play with a Head racquet in Sydney.
She walked on court with 2 racquets and, no bag. they are all 96sq in.
If you had a chance to hit with all the racquets out there would, a $400 plus Bosworth really stand out?

Stepanek stopped using them too and his results have improved dramatically since. He's hitting with a Head now.

MindoverMatter 01-14-2013 07:42 AM

^ I heard he was hitting with Djokovic's frame and specs along with his doubles partner. Could be wrong though

Crisp 01-16-2013 10:49 PM

Does anyone know why these sticks are not a conventional shape?

Don't Let It Bounce 01-17-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisp (Post 7127922)
Does anyone know why these sticks are not a conventional shape?

IIRC, the claim when Bosworth/Fox first introduced that decagon shape was that the angles provided a more uniform string response (the reports of players who have used it seem to bear this claim out) and greater torsional stability vs regular, curved frames.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailofdog (Post 7116713)

It sure sounded like they did. Lendl and Navratilova were quite outspoken about the Boz being the best racket they ever hefted. Living up to the terms of sponsorship, I suppose... Which Head did Navratilova pick up, and what did Lendl switch to?

max 01-17-2013 10:06 AM

Brad Gilbert was a very big fan as well.

tailofdog 01-17-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Let It Bounce (Post 7128385)
IIRC, the claim when Bosworth/Fox first introduced that decagon shape was that the angles provided a more uniform string response (the reports of players who have used it seem to bear this claim out) and greater torsional stability vs regular, curved frames.

It sure sounded like they did. Lendl and Navratilova were quite outspoken about the Boz being the best racket they ever hefted. Living up to the terms of sponsorship, I suppose... Which Head did Navratilova pick up, and what did Lendl switch to?

Martina walked out on court with 2 Head Extreme Pro 2's.(by looks)
It was not a big production just, two racquets no bag. All the other players had bags and, Hingis had 2 different type of Yonex racquets and, hit a few balls with each before picking one to,play with.
I forget what, Lendl plays with now but, i would guess Head since he is coaching Murry.
Some people on the forum have bought Bosworth racquets but, move on.
Like Donnay there was a lot of hype and, again you see the 2 for 1 sale also, Yanna Wickmayer there own countrys player dumped them pretty quick!

yonexRx32 01-17-2013 11:10 AM

About three years ago I was watching a broadcast on a French channel of a Paris tournament. Stepanek was playing in it and the commentators introduced the opponents and their rackets. When introducing Stepanek, one commentator said something along the lines of "Step is playing with ... huhh.." to which the other one intervened " with pretty much a plank", "yeap" and they both broke out in laughter.