Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Speed Pro Graphene pics (and others) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450550)

neil1b 01-11-2013 03:54 AM

Speed Pro Graphene pics (and others)

Just strung all of these. Off to work so I can give strung specs on the pro and others later.

Bartelby 01-11-2013 03:57 AM

Seems a very tight version of an 18/20 compared to the Blade, which is even slightly smaller.

neil1b 01-11-2013 03:57 AM

Specs on this pro are

336 Grams with small tags and plastic on handle

5 points Head light

Here are pics of the other speeds and instincts

mrmo1115 01-11-2013 08:22 AM

Awesome. If you've used the two previous models of the Speed can you comment on grip shape? I wasn't a fan of the Youtek Speed. Never got to really use the IG so how did those two compare? And now this one.. closer to the IG, closer to the Youtek, or something different altogether?

Sage 01-11-2013 09:44 AM

Whats the stiffness and beam width specs?

neil1b 01-11-2013 06:38 PM

Here's my other. Just strung it with the head sonic pro gear.

Specs strung without over grip and dampener are:

339 grams
4.5 HL

Strung specs with over grip and dampener are:

347 grams
5.5 HL

HERE'S SOME MORE PICS

Don't have a RDC machine so not sure on stiffness.....TW has it at 68

mrmo1115 01-11-2013 06:42 PM

Can you comment on grip shape versus its predecessors? Have you taken it out to hit yet?

neil1b 01-11-2013 06:47 PM

Taking it out tomorrow morning. Got busy tonight and couldn't get there. I'm dying to hit with it as the specs are right there near my other racquet I like.

As for the grip, I have owned both youtek and IG speeds. This grip is definitely not roundish like the youtek I had. It has a slight squareness to it. It reminds me of my old head oversize racquets (twin tube radicals). Definitely feels solid in the hand.

mrmo1115 01-11-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil1b (Post 7113901)
Taking it out tomorrow morning. Got busy tonight and couldn't get there. I'm dying to hit with it as the specs are right there near my other racquet I like.

As for the grip, I have owned both youtek and IG speeds. This grip is definitely not roundish like the youtek I had. It has a slight squareness to it. It reminds me of my old head oversize racquets (twin tube radicals). Definitely feels solid in the hand.

I'm just as excited. And thats good to hear that it isn't similar to the Youtek.. I couldn't deal with that grip. What racquet were you using prior to this? Have you committed to the switch (did you buy them) or are these just demos?

A_Instead 01-12-2013 05:41 AM

keep us posted.....

neil1b 01-12-2013 03:58 PM

Here it is......first impression.

Current set up is a Babolat 2012 Pure Drive Roddick Plus with Solinco Outlast at 57#.

Racquet used is the new Head Speed Pro Graphene strung with Head Sonic Pro Edge at 55#.

I know many of you are thinking this is a radical change and much different racquet from what I have used but I was looking for more control, but without losing the power and weight of my Babolat.......... well today I just might have found my new stick.

I had a lesson today from a 5.0 Italian pro in the area and was able to rally and play some games for a while with tis new stick.

Mine weighs in at 12.2 ounces strung with an over grip and dampener installed. 5.5 points head light.

First thing I noticed is the racquet swings pretty fast for a heavy stick. Much faster than my plus which is kind of sluggish. This thing feels more like an 11.3-11.5 racquet.

Groundstrokes were amazing. A little less power than my Roddick, but not enough to make me want to change back to hit. This racquet feels extremely solid at contact and it has a much larger sweet spot than the previous speeds (IG and Youtek). The string bed at 55# still did not feel boardy. This sweet spot rewards you striking the middle to lower portion of the racquet, but hits near the top are very solid and you still have ample power on mishits.

Serves are the same, easy power with a good swing and form. Flat serves had a ton of pace and spin is easily generated with the 18x20 pattern, which in the past has not always been the case.

Returns are very stable and I did not feel and twist when returning heavy balls.

Persons with one handed backhand will love this stick as they seem effortless and the weight of the stick is spot on.

I was not able to do many volleys or touch shots, but will be able to report on that tomorrow.

I know it seems to good to be true, but for me it seems perfect. I am sure others will hate it, but I think most seeking a 12 + racquet with control and power will look no further.

Maybe this is a honeymoon period, only the next week will tell for sure, but I am very impressed with this thing so far.

It gives me everything I wanted that the Babolat could not with only slightly less, more controllable power.

A_Instead 01-12-2013 04:25 PM

Neil,
How does the new Speed compare to the IG YT Prestige MP and IG YT Prestige Pro???

Oz_Rocket 01-12-2013 05:53 PM

Neil how would rate the stiffness compared to the previous IG and Youtek versions? Also Sonic Pro Edge is yet to be widely released but it sounds like it is a good match for this frame and may be even softer playing than the current Sonic Pro (something my ageing arm will appreciate!)?

mrmo1115 01-12-2013 06:18 PM

I also just came back from playing this stick for most of the day. I enjoyed playing the stick, found enough stability and enough solidness from the frame. I found it was quite maneuverable and I was very comfortable at net which is something I was looking for in a new frame. Returns and serves were solid, definitely improvement from my PSTGT. One knock I had on the demo frame was that the string was pretty bad..(not sure if it was Head's new FXP Tour, but its black) I wasn't getting any comfort from the string bed.. it felt quite harsh even though its probably a soft co-poly. I'm feeling some pain/soreness in the muscle below my forearm which is common whenever I play a full poly bed. I feel like the stiffness is definitely highlighted with this frame and I would appreciate my normal set up much more with this stick (a hybrid of poly/gut). I was nailing my backhand.. my forehand needed some adjustments .. I was missing plenty of forehand down the line shots. Overall I was satisfied with this frame and I think I prefer it over the Blade (the other frame I'm demoing right now).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz_Rocket (Post 7115575)
Neil how would rate the stiffness compared to the previous IG and Youtek versions? Also Sonic Pro Edge is yet to be widely released but it sounds like it is a good match for this frame and may be even softer playing than the current Sonic Pro (something my ageing arm will appreciate!)?

I've never played with either versions extensively but I can tell you the racquet definitely does not feel plush or soft. I like the feel but I definitely will like my gut in my hybrid to soften up the string bed a bit more. I could never see myself playing full poly in this frame just for my arms sake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Instead (Post 7115460)
Neil,
How does the new Speed compare to the IG YT Prestige MP and IG YT Prestige Pro???

Can't comment on this but I can definitely tell you that the Speed packs a bigger punch than the MP highlighted by the thicker beam. Not sure about the power level on the Pro. Little less control than the Prestige I'm sure. The only relation I have to the Prestige MP is being a former user of the FXP Prestige MP for more than 3-4 years. I flirted with the MG Prestige for close to a year before returning back to the FXP.

DownTheLineWith90 01-12-2013 07:49 PM

The Instincts look great..
TRON colorway

neil1b 01-12-2013 09:01 PM

OZ, the edge is out in a few stores where I live. It plays much softer in my opinion. I don't see much difference in spin, but the string bed is lively and the control is there as well. Great stuff.....I will definitely pick up a reel.

Here are some pics

neil1b 01-12-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz_Rocket (Post 7115575)
Neil how would rate the stiffness compared to the previous IG and Youtek versions?

OZ, even though the specs put this one as the most stiff of the three at 68, I feel it plays less harsh than the IG. Image always thought the youtek version was by far the flex king of the trio. I would put this in the middle.

I believe the large sweet spot on this stick causes it to feel softer that it is, by this I mean it does not seem stiff at all. Shots are solid and smooth with great feel. Not sure if its all the stick, strings, or both. The stick is the perfect blend with these strings and I felt no arm/elbow pain at all. As I have said before the weight distribution allows this stick to swing easy and fluid. It feels lighter than it is.

Torres 01-13-2013 08:08 AM

Just had a look at the Pro in the shop. Long and oval head. Doesn't look like 100 at all, more like 98.

A_Instead 01-13-2013 09:31 AM

Torress...
Is the head shape like past generations (Tear Drop) or is it more like a Radical and/or Prestige?

John Kawasaki 01-13-2013 09:51 AM

Agree with Neil....the Speed Pro Graphene is a good stick. I have been hitting with the Speed Pro, the MP and the Instinct; the use of the graphene technology has helped these new iterations. They are all nice in their own way....the Pro for those who like tight patterns hits a nice ball with some added punch compared to the IG models. Even thought all three of these have relatively higer stiffness ratings to help in the power department, they don't hit stiff at all. I am partial to the MP version with it's 16x19 pattern offering nice spin with good plow through for an eleven ouncer. The Instinct is a little light for my tastes (good platform stick) but really grabs the ball nicely and has good comfort despite the 70+ stiffness rating.