Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Agnieszka Radwanska on a tear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450582)

Walenty 01-11-2013 07:58 AM

Agnieszka Radwanska on a tear

She just beat Cibulkova 6-0 6-0 in the final of Sydney, her second straight title of the year. She's 9-0 and hasn't dropped a set in any of her matches.

She drew Li Na in her quarter, who she just beat, and Maria, who she played competitively last year and hasn't had a tune up tourney yet.

Anyone else think she'll make the final?

Fiji 01-11-2013 08:00 AM

She will lose to Serena in the final.

mistik 01-11-2013 08:00 AM

Serena will win AO and her 16th major the rest isnt important.

DRII 01-11-2013 08:01 AM

No, most likely not because she would have to defeat Serena or Azeranka, which she most likely won't.

Brian11785 01-11-2013 08:07 AM

An on-point Barthel is a threat in the third round. After that, she's basically a shoo-in for the semis. Li or Stosur would be a threat in the quarters, but....let's be honest....will either be able to string enough victories together to even get there? Doubtful.

Of the top 3, Maria is probably the best matchup for Aga (just because the other two are so historically disastrous.) A win in the semis against Maria/Venus/Bartoli/Kerber is doable. Don't see her getting past either Serena/Vika in the finals. Would love for her to prove me wrong though. Or better yet, if someone else from that half of the draw is in the finals.

mrmike 01-11-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walenty (Post 7112455)
She just beat Cibulkova 6-0 6-0 in the final of Sydney, her second straight title of the year. She's 9-0 and hasn't dropped a set in any of her matches.

She drew Li Na in her quarter, who she just beat, and Maria, who she played competitively last year and hasn't had a tune up tourney yet.

I watched a good chunk of the Cibulkova vs. Kerber match, and Domi was playing very well. Its hard to believe she got double bageled by Radwanska.

Walenty 01-11-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian11785 (Post 7112486)
An on-point Barthel is a threat in the third round. After that, she's basically a shoo-in for the semis. Li or Stosur would be a threat in the quarters, but....let's be honest....will either be able to string enough victories together to even get there? Doubtful.

Of the top 3, Maria is probably the best matchup for Aga (just because the other two are so historically disastrous.) A win in the semis against Maria/Venus/Bartoli/Kerber is doable. Don't see her getting past either Serena/Vika in the finals. Would love for her to prove me wrong though. Or better yet, if someone else from that half of the draw is in the finals.

Agreed. I'm not saying she'll win the final, she'd be an underdog against either Victoria or Serena, but I'd also like to be proven wrong.

-RF- 01-11-2013 09:36 AM

Don't think she'll even get to SF tbh. Am a pessimist though and hope I'm proven wrong!

TMF 01-11-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiji (Post 7112463)
She will lose to Serena in the final.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistik (Post 7112464)
Serena will win AO and her 16th major the rest isnt important.

But Serena has to beat Azarenka in the semifinal first before even thinking about Radwanska.

Serena also has a potential to face big hitter Kvitova in the QF.

Brian11785 01-11-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7112698)
But Serena has to beat Azarenka in the semifinal first before even thinking about Radwanska.

You funny.

Bhagi Katbamna 01-11-2013 10:58 AM

Her problem is that she has nothing to counter a big hitter when the big hitter is on. This usually occurs in a slam in the QF, SF, or Final(but can occur earlier).

Brian11785 01-11-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhagi Katbamna (Post 7112910)
Her problem is that she has nothing to counter a big hitter when the big hitter is on. This usually occurs in a slam in the QF, SF, or Final(but can occur earlier).

When you say that she has "nothing" to counter a big hitter when she is on, what could that possibly mean to you, besides more power? Because she's got everything else: speed, touch, variety and mental toughness.

I think people underestimate Aga's ability to CREATE bad days for her opponents.

Also, I know she is on the run a lot and doesn't hit the hardest groundstrokes, but you'd be surprised how much she actually dictates play throughout most matches, between an improving-everyday first serve, use of angles and spins and solid approaches/volley putaways.

The days she gets hit off the court are when she is unable to dictate play. She's a defender, yes, but if that's all she's doing, she's not going to win a match against a quality opponent.

I think she has started having better results since her first serve has improved. Hopefully, she'll start to get enough free/easy points off her serve that she'll be able to compete against the bigger hitters on the average day.

Amelie Mauresmo 01-11-2013 11:17 AM

Yes, people seem to downplay Radwanska's talent because it isn't so obvious she isn't going to overpower her opponents. However, Radwanska uses her mind she uses tactics she's smarter than the other players. Radwanska also has a lot of variety in her game that she can change the pace and throw a hard hitter off her game.

The problem for Agnieszka Radwanska is the top 3 players give her big problems. The top 3 players have the power and are also consistent. Sharapova though is less consistent than Serena or Azarenka.

The good thing for Radwanska is she is on the opposite side of the draw away from Serena and Azarenka. Radwanska did beat Sharapova in Miami last year and their match in Istanbul was extremely close Sharapova barely on 7-5 in the third set. Radwanska is playing well, but even I must admit the top 3 are the favourites over her I feel. But, anything can happen in a grand slam and Radwanska is a very mentally tough and smart player.

kishnabe 01-11-2013 01:00 PM

Tears in Small Tournaments don't equate to Slam Success. She can manage a QF.....though from there on....I doubt it. If Azarenka and Serena lose early....then she can win. She can beat Maria.

slowfox 01-11-2013 01:19 PM

I know it's not the same as winning, but Aggie did take a set off of Serena at Wimbledon. So she does have the ability.

kishnabe 01-11-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7113251)
I know it's not the same as winning, but Aggie did take a set off of Serena at Wimbledon. So she does have the ability.

That was more due to Serena disappearing....than Aggie lifting her game.

cork_screw 01-11-2013 03:34 PM

She's good. She is really patient and plays like the polish people out here in brooklyn as in she plays a very smart tennis game. But when someone figures her out or they hit big against her, she's done.

cc0509 01-11-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walenty (Post 7112455)

But Li Na beat Radwanska three times on hc prior to that Sydney win and Li Na has looked pretty good as well.

Re Maria Sharapova, it is true that she did not play a tune-up this year but she did not play one prior to the AO last year from what I recall and she made the final, so who knows. The second half of the draw is a crap shoot.

cc0509 01-11-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7112698)

Azarenka is not a big threat for a healthy motivated Serena and Kvitova has been MIA lately. Hard to see how Serena will not win this tournament or at least make the final.

Polaris 01-11-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 7113563)
Azarenka is not a big threat for a healthy motivated Serena and Kvitova has been MIA lately. Hard to see how Serena will not win this tournament or at least make the final.

Sad but true about the bolded part. :(

Maybe JoelDali should make a thread: "I believe in Kvitova, flight of the Stormy Petrel of Victory". :)