Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Some people seem to "hate" getting shots towards smart targets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450603)

Hi I'm Ray 01-11-2013 12:08 PM

Some people seem to "hate" getting shots towards smart targets

I don't play much singles games at all, mostly its doubles games or rallying singles. It seems like after putting away a few sharp angles at smart targets AFTER setting up for it during rallies, some opponents start trying to hit "hard" shots into the corners off soft feeds when starting a rally. They also start trying to hit feeds faster into the corners or start with deep moonballs to the BH. Pretty damn weak, IMO. I've been running into this a lot lately. I just hit easy feeds to the center and I'm hitting down the middle off feeds.

Is anyone else running into this sort of thing?

5263 01-11-2013 12:24 PM

What you may have to do is tell them the Smart Target you want to work, so
they can stay over that way and let you work on that target without running
them so much.
Smart Targets really make players run and that can bother them quite a bit since
many don't want to move so much, :)

Power Player 01-11-2013 12:32 PM

Is this a trademarked term, or is there some reason you capitalize the two words all the time?

5263 01-11-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7112980)
Is this a trademarked term, or is there some reason you capitalize the two words all the time?

It is the name of a targeting system I developed.

Power Player 01-11-2013 12:38 PM

You developed it? I thought it was data collected from pro shot charts that vaguely shows "optimal" places to hit the ball.

5263 01-11-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7112997)
You developed it? I thought it was data collected from pro shot charts that vaguely shows "optimal" places to hit the ball.

I developed the system based on data.

Power Player 01-11-2013 12:43 PM

It's not really a system. It is two triangular spots on the court you think people should hit to. Seems like a reach to me.

Hi I'm Ray 01-11-2013 12:43 PM

I always thought it was ok to go for your shots or even more than usual when rallying. With most of the better players they say "nice shot," but the ones that get weird seem to be mostly those who can hit a hard shot now and then but cannot stay consistent or place it well. I think I might have to just tell them ahead of time as you suggested, though I try to hit both targets. A lot of them I am meeting for the first time.

Power Player 01-11-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 7113019)
I always thought it was ok to go for your shots or even more than usual when rallying. With most of the better players they say "nice shot," but the ones that get weird seem to be mostly those who can hit a hard shot now and then but cannot stay consistent or place it well. I think I might have to just tell them ahead of time as you suggested.

It matters who you hit with. Honestly a lot of drilling with balls that are hit pretty clean and hard, but up the middle will greatly assist you in matches. the longer you can rally, the more your mind settles down in "live fire", and your fitness level goes up a lot as well.

If I am meeting with somebody to hit, my preference would be to have long rallies if possible. From there we could play points or practice sets if need be.

I can about guarantee if you have a lot of long rallies, you will find hitting those angle you want to hit a lot easier because your stroke will be grooved.

5263 01-11-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7113015)
It's not really a system. It is two triangular spots on the court you think people should hit to. Seems like a reach to me.

Well thank you for you thoughts about my system :)
On the good side, it was intended to be very simple to make it very easy to
use in the heat of a point. Most of it is about understanding the whens and hows
of using it, which seems to be slightly more involved that you may realize.

Power Player 01-11-2013 01:07 PM

It's not really involved and its really not a system. You are saying to target for certain spots on the court, which is cool, but in no way is it as big of a deal as you have tried to make it.

5263 01-11-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7113071)
It's not really involved and its really not a system. You are saying to target for certain spots on the court, which is cool, but in no way is it as big of a deal as you have tried to make it.

Again, thank you for your opinion :)
Is that All I'm saying??
Not sure where I tried to make it a big deal, but you clearly don't have any idea
of how many letters, emails and comments of appreciation I've received with
this simple system. I also have a few of instructors around the country who
have made it the basis of teaching shot selection in their Jr academy.
I'm delighted with how it's gone and you are one of the very few that have
been negative towards it.

Power Player 01-11-2013 01:16 PM

You tend to exaggerate or say things that you never prove, so I doubt it is as successful as you infer.

Seems to me as if you are trying to brand something on a message board.

I like shot charts too. It's cool. Safe spots to hit the ball..that's nice, but it's not a system to me. It's just basic tennis.

5263 01-11-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7113094)

I like shot charts too. It's cool. Safe spots to hit the ball..that's nice, but it's not a system to me. It's just basic tennis.

Fine, I think you have made yourself clear big Power! :)

dominikk1985 01-11-2013 01:26 PM

are you talking about short angles?

5263 01-11-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7113137)
are you talking about short angles?

look at this if it interest you-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413112

Hi I'm Ray 01-11-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7113031)
It matters who you hit with. Honestly a lot of drilling with balls that are hit pretty clean and hard, but up the middle will greatly assist you in matches. the longer you can rally, the more your mind settles down in "live fire", and your fitness level goes up a lot as well.

If I am meeting with somebody to hit, my preference would be to have long rallies if possible. From there we could play points or practice sets if need be.

I can about guarantee if you have a lot of long rallies, you will find hitting those angle you want to hit a lot easier because your stroke will be grooved.

Interesting, PP. I can see where hitting hard and clean in long rallies would be great practice to mix in with hitting targets. I'm pretty calm about long rallies and try to set up the point, but I usually try to jam them up & get weak replies or errors. It seems a lot of players try to attack off a topspin rally ball in the center... do you practice this more with someone who has first agreed to it?

Power Player 01-11-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 7113198)
Interesting, PP. I can see where hitting hard and clean in long rallies would be great practice to mix in with hitting targets. I'm pretty calm about long rallies and try to set up the point, but I usually try to jam them up & get weak replies or errors. It seems a lot of players try to attack off a topspin rally ball in the center... do you practice this more with someone who has first agreed to it?

No you just can feel it out with who you are hitting with. I just try and warm up by sending balls down the middle anyway. I keep them deep and get up to a standard match rally ball so I can work on the heaviness & consistency of it.

So if I was sending you pretty heavy top down the middle, but not trying to hit you off the court or move you around, would you do the same for me? That is the way to think about it. I also say sorry if I am late and hit a winner off that by accident.

I just feel out whoever I hit with, but I do prefer a guy who can hold a 20 plus ball rally. It really develops my fitness and just fine tunes my consistency.

Another way to think about it is I work on strike zones. the best hitting partners hit to you but don't always put it right in your zone. so you are seeing a lot of high balls that you would see in a match from a better player. It is tiring to hit shoulder high balls 30 straight times, but it will make you a better player.

slowfox 01-11-2013 02:43 PM

With some of my practice partners we play *nice* balls or *mean* balls. Usually start out nice - just down the middle for the entire rally. When we mutually feel ready we start playing mean rallies. That's when it gets fun.

Power Player 01-11-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7113319)
With some of my practice partners we play *nice* balls or *mean* balls. Usually start out nice - just down the middle for the entire rally. When we mutually feel ready we start playing mean rallies. That's when it gets fun.

Why not play "deuces"?

Mini games where you serve at deuce and switch servers each win. Games can last 2 points or 20 like a real deuce game.