Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   demos / Head Speed 300 and bab PS TOUR gt (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450604)

TroutSc 01-11-2013 11:08 AM

demos / Head Speed 300 and bab PS TOUR gt

Looking for a low 60s flex.

I grabbed a PStour and a youtek IG Speed 300 to try out.

Both are quite a bit of a change up coming from a volkl PB7.
Im trying to switch it up as I like the 98/100s. The volkl is rated at 67 stiffness, im hoping that these will be Ok on the arm as they are both lower stiffness (volkl is higher but we all know hows volkls feel).

Anyone play these much?

fell free to pipe in, think out loud, make suggestions, etc.

like i said, looking to drop down to the 98/100 range but maintain some comfort without going too flexy (didnt like the prince tour 100). I like the head and bab pallets, fairly low power.

mrmo1115 01-11-2013 11:43 AM

PSTGT will be a complete different animal than the 300 just based on the higher static weight and SW. I don't think comparing the two is fair. The PSTGT will give you much more stability and that solid feel, but it will be much harder to maneuver. If anything why not try the 315...getting something closer to that 12.1 oz weight will at least help you get that same stability and solidness.

TroutSc 01-11-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7113018)
PSTGT will be a complete different animal than the 300 just based on the higher static weight and SW. I don't think comparing the two is fair. The PSTGT will give you much more stability and that solid feel, but it will be much harder to maneuver. If anything why not try the 315...getting something closer to that 12.1 oz weight will at least help you get that same stability and solidness.

understood.

I still do not know what my ideal static or SW is, so thought maybe taking a spread would help me figure out what accommodates my swing best.

Ive got a clinic and then a fun match tonight and will swap em around a bit and see if I favor one over the other in terms of weight/balance.

TimothyO 01-11-2013 12:39 PM

I used the 300 (modded) for all of last year. I demo'd the PSGT Tour and the PSGT last spring and decided to switch to the PSGT once the 2009 pattern dropped in price which finally happened on Black Friday (woohoo!).

While the PSGT Tour and 300 are very different they do have similarities, especially if you add some weight to the 300.

PSGT Tour: a little stiffer, less maneuverable, but more power from its mass. More control too.

300: very soft, more maneuverable, any power comes from the larger stringbed. Less control.

Ultimately I switched to the PSGT from the 300 because I wanted more control which I just wasn't getting with the 300. We're talking real precision here. The 300 is great but I (sometimes foolishly) like to paint the lines and thread needles when playing. I go for placement and spin over power unless I get a really easy shot. Friends joke about my slices that bounce sideways and ability to hit shots just enough out of reach to leave them chasing ghosts.

On serve my bad knee and bad ankle mean I can't generate massive power with a full leg push. Instead, I go for placement and consistency. I get that with the PSGT while the 300 was not quite accurate enough to hit the corners repeatedly.

As for the PSGT Tour vs PSGT, the tour version can be unwieldy for some while the PSGT is like a Tour without extra weight in the handle. Add a heavy replacement grip to a PSGT and just a little lead to the hoop and, voila, you have a virtual PSGT Tour but with the added advantage of having enough room to tweak to your perfect balance, weight, and SW. With the Tour you're basically stuck with a PSGT with a heavy handle and no room to shift weight around.

mrmo1115 01-11-2013 04:07 PM

If you're into modding like TimothyO is then the 300 might be perfect. Getting something around the 300 g weight 11 oz is a good platform to beef up your racquet using lead and what not. My personal preference is just to pick a racquet that has specs I'm already interested in.. modding isn't for me.

TroutSc 01-11-2013 05:31 PM

Ok, did clinic, then hit with my friend, whos actually the pro, afterwards.

I mostly used the speed 300. I quickly felt the tour was not the right weight for my strokes. It killed on b/h slice, but on 2hbh for my swing, it wasnt right. forehands - the tour was great on a fed ball with plenty of time to prep, the pace was great, nice heavy ball with the extra weight behind it. if i could set up just right, wow. in point play and executing under pressure, it was too heavy for my skill level. I put it aside fairly early, while the action and precision I could get from was great, I could not manage it at my level.
I hit with the head mostly and the weight/balance seemed to gel with my level/style. I did hit long more than I would like on some groundstrokes with it. I actually think this was more footwork and mental related, on slow floaty balls that allowed me time to slow down and think i would error. On running shots, just naturally adapting and swinging free however, the connection was good. My 2hbh as well was spot on under pressure. I did seem to float more on slices with the head though, i think more time could correct that fairly easy.

As far as comfort, i have been playing hybrid (TB/vanquish) in my pb7s. Both demos were full polly. the speed 300 was actually comfortable with the full pol but i would probably not go that route due to my sissy elbow, would hybrid it.

Im worn out and am enjoying a few IPAs now, but am sold on the speed for now. I plan to try the pure storm (non tour) as well. I do think the head was comfortable and could jump into one with a hybrid grow from there though. I will probably drop off the tour tomorrow and keep the speed through the weekend, if anyone has any others in that range to check out, let me know. I like the feel and comfort of the speed.

TroutSc 01-12-2013 08:35 PM

Did another clinic and a some hitting and a match with the speed. A lot of hitting with full poly and still comfortable. Gelling with the speed. I could not get the bab pure storm, demo was out. I did notice the speeds were down to 159$. Pretty tempting.

How's the speed 300 compare to the radical pro? I still want to try to ps and the rad pro. The new speeds specs look a bit stiffer so am looking beyond those. Had the chance to demo the new Wilson steam 99s today too but passed em up due to stiffness. I did swing one and talked to a bud using one, he said he ended up cutting out a hybrid due to string movement, said only a full poly would work in the open pattern. He liked it with full poly, but it is stiff.

TroutSc 01-13-2013 02:39 PM

Also, interest for input on the 300 compared to a bb london. I love the 300 but never gelled with the london. I have one here but never connected with it, but the specs (outside of head size) arent too far off, atleast i wouldnt think a lower level guy would discern any difference in playability between the 2.