Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pro Kennex Kinetic KI Q5 (315G) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450663)

Jackson Heights 01-11-2013 10:36 PM

Pro Kennex Kinetic KI Q5 (315G)

I see Pro Kennex came out last year with a new racket - the Kinetic KI Q5 (315G).
Someone wrote that it's an updated version of the Pro Kennex Ki-5. I have the Pro Kennex KI-5. I bought the KI-5 before they changed the paint job on it. I like the KI-5, but feel it is underpowered. I am wondering if this new racquet - the KI Q5 - has more, less or the same power as the KI-5. (I use soft multifilament strings in case that's a factor).

Dgdavid 01-12-2013 01:29 AM

I had both. Q5 is marginally more powerful I think and looks much nicer but I think I preferred the Ki5 actually. Played with it longer though. Never thought of the Ki5 as underpowered though.

retrograde 01-12-2013 12:28 PM

There are some comments about the Ki Q5 here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=440243&page=4

I demo'd the Q5 and the Ki5 315 a few months ago (I play with a 7g).

My first observation was the Ki 315 demo (11.45 oz) didn't match the specs published by TW (11.8 oz). The Q5 was closer (11.75 oz vs 11.9 oz). Given this, I was a bit surprised at how stable the Ki 315 felt on hard groundies.

Second observation was the Q5 felt noticably stiffer. Although my sometimes tender elbow was able to manage it, the Ki 315 was just much more comfy.

Third observation was I didn't like how the Ki 315 volleyed. It just didn't have as much "punch" as my 7g. The Q5 was more to my liking in this department.

I would encourage you to demo anyways. There aren't a lot of Q5 reviews yet. Funny how these are all supposed to be 315's.

ollinger 01-12-2013 01:24 PM

stiffer.....more powerful

Jackson Heights 08-22-2013 09:25 AM

Ki Q5 (295g)

I have the PK Ki 5 315. It is my current racket.
(I bought it before they changed the cosmetics).

Was wondering if the new Ki Q5 (315g) has more power.
Thanks for the answers. Would appreciate any more responses.

Now I also want to know if the new KI Q5 (295g)
also has more power than the Ki 5 315.

So any info about the power of either of the 2 new Ki Q5 rackets, in relation to my current racket, would be appreciated. I'm looking for a little more power than my current racket, the KI 5 315 has. The advantage of my current racket is that it is flexible, and I have tennis elbow, so I appreciate a flexible racket. But it is a little underpowered. So would like to know if the new KI Q5 rackets have a little more power than my current racket, but are not too stiff as to hurt my elbow.

Please specify which racket you are talking about. Some people write about the KI 315, but the Ki 5 and the KI Q5 both have a 315 model, so I don't know which one you are writing about. Please specify "KI 5 315", or "KI Q5 (315g)", or "KI Q5 (295g)". Thanks

coolblue123 08-27-2013 02:31 AM

I just got a Q5 315. It was still alittle light for me so I put several oerwraps and lead to 12.8 oz. I played with a Ki5 before and couldn't quite get dialed in because of the flex. However, with a stiffer stick. I got alittle more power and feel. Maybe it was just me, but the Q5 315 seems little more rounder on the sides than the ki5. Sweetspot was about the same. And as with all PK sticks, ultimate comfort. This is like my option #2 stick that's in my bag when I want something different. I still need to serve with it.

danix 08-27-2013 01:52 PM

Ki5 312g vs Q5 315. The Q5 is a bit stiffer and has a bit more power, just as ollinger said above.

KenC 08-27-2013 10:24 PM

I think the Q5 315 puts the PK line a step closer to the pure drive trend. It is a better choice for those who like the pure drive and its many clones. Honestly though, the Ki5 holds it's own in that crowd, but it just doesn't have that pure drive feel.

Armwood 09-02-2013 02:41 PM

PK Ki Q5

As in the feel of tennis elbow.........

PK Ki Q5 plays as well but without any arm pain. Not sure how ProKennex does it but excellent sticks, even the stiffer ones, while staying arm-friendly.

athiker 09-04-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Heights (Post 7684737)
I have the PK Ki 5 315. It is my current racket.
(I bought it before they changed the cosmetics).

Was wondering if the new Ki Q5 (315g) has more power.
Thanks for the answers. Would appreciate any more responses.

Now I also want to know if the new KI Q5 (295g)
also has more power than the Ki 5 315.

So any info about the power of either of the 2 new Ki Q5 rackets, in relation to my current racket, would be appreciated. I'm looking for a little more power than my current racket, the KI 5 315 has. The advantage of my current racket is that it is flexible, and I have tennis elbow, so I appreciate a flexible racket. But it is a little underpowered. So would like to know if the new KI Q5 rackets have a little more power than my current racket, but are not too stiff as to hurt my elbow.

Please specify which racket you are talking about. Some people write about the KI 315, but the Ki 5 and the KI Q5 both have a 315 model, so I don't know which one you are writing about. Please specify "KI 5 315", or "KI Q5 (315g)", or "KI Q5 (295g)". Thanks

I have the Ki5 315 (old paint style) and the Ki Q5 295. The Q5 plays exactly as expected from a bit lighter and stiffer racquet. Quicker to maneuver, less tiring in long singles matches and some more power.

I have played the Ki5 315 off and on for a number of years. First, keep playing with it until your tennis elbow clears up. Also consider getting a Therabar. Both did wonders for me. I consider the Ki5 a very good ground stroke racquet, decent serve and only okay volleying.

The Q5 is a similar all-around racquet that is not spectacular in any area. Good ground strokes, improved serve over the Ki5 and quicker on volleys.

You give up a bit of stability with the lighter Q5 in some situations but I think its mostly made up by being able to get the racquet in good hitting position quicker than the heavier racquet. For example if you prefer to block back serves a heavier racquet may be the choice, if however you want to try to take an aggressive cut at the serve a lighter racquet lets you get in position quicker, but is less stable in block attempts. At the 4.0 level I see some pretty good serves, but to be honest the guys that really hit hot serves don't have that great a 1st serve % over the course of an entire match at this level.

Bottom line is I like the lighter Q5 and use it as my main racquet these days; it has a good balance of qualities that seem to work for me. I will always keep the Ki5 315 around though in case tennis elbow rears its ugly head again; there is no more comfortable racquet IMHO and I've tried plenty!

Jackson Heights 09-09-2013 10:52 AM

Ki Q5 (295g)/ Ki Q5 (315g)

I heard that people like me with tennis elbow need to use heavier tennis racquets that weigh over 11 ounces. So if I get the Q5, I would probably get the heavier model Q5 (315g). Maybe I could get the lighter model Q5 (295g) and put on lead tape. Any comments?

Also, I like my current racquet the KI-5, but not enough power on my one-handed backhand, even if I string it super loose at 47 pounds.

danix 09-09-2013 01:55 PM

Try adding some lead to your Ki5. 4.0 and up should take a good look at the QTour (I prefer the 295).