Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How in the world did TENNIS Magazine make that mistake? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450664)

BreakPoint 01-11-2013 11:30 PM

How in the world did TENNIS Magazine make that mistake?

In the new Jan/Feb 2013 issue of TENNIS Magazine, they have an "ATP Season Preview 2013" article in which they discuss each top player along with a picture of the player. For Juan Martin Del Potro, they have a large pic of David Ferrer (on page 30).

How could they possibly have made such an obvious mistake like that? How did it get past the editors? It's like they don't even follow pro tennis or something. Pretty shameful of a magazine specifically devoted to tennis.

dominikk1985 01-12-2013 01:26 AM

Maybe it was written and edited after the new years party:D.

pvaudio 01-12-2013 07:19 AM

Because it's Tennis magazine. Or more accurately these days, Tennis brochure.

Polaris 01-12-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7114234)
In the new Jan/Feb 2013 issue of TENNIS Magazine, they have an "ATP Season Preview 2013" article in which they discuss each top player along with a picture of the player. For Juan Martin Del Potro, they have a large pic of David Ferrer (on page 30).

How could they possibly have made such an obvious mistake like that? How did it get past the editors? It's like they don't even follow pro tennis or something. Pretty shameful of a magazine specifically devoted to tennis.

Must have been an oversight, while updating webpages. Not a big deal. At least not as big a deal as Pete Bodo's consistent record of making stupid mistakes about recent tennis history on his blogs.

slowfox 01-12-2013 05:15 PM

And they want me to renew my subscription.

sureshs 01-12-2013 06:07 PM

1. They both speak Spanish, so it is easy to get confused
2. In the photo, Ferrer is wearing a green shirt and black shorts, same as DP also wears.

DoctorBackhand 01-13-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7115601)
2. In the photo, Ferrer is wearing a green shirt and black shorts, same as DP also wears.

Federer and Roddick both speak english. Can you confuse them?:-?

ollinger 01-13-2013 07:22 AM

A guy I know who works for Esquire thinks the error was probably not made by the Tennis Magazine staff. Art is often put on a separate file and designated for a particular location in the magazine. He suspects the error was made by the printers.

heninfan99 01-13-2013 07:51 AM

Just an accident. Humans do that sometimes. :-)

woodrow1029 01-13-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 7115221)
Must have been an oversight, while updating webpages. Not a big deal. At least not as big a deal as Pete Bodo's consistent record of making stupid mistakes about recent tennis history on his blogs.

Best post of the thread! I really wish they would ban him from writing articles.

Doublebounce 01-13-2013 11:32 AM

They also put a picture of Simon next to a little paragraph about Janowicz being a sleeper/dark horse....

BreakPoint 01-13-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7115601)

You forgot that one is one of the tallest players on tour while the other is one of the shortest. That must have really confused the editors.

BTW, I've never seen Del Potro wear a green shirt with black shorts. Besides, they should know that Del Potro wears Nike while Ferrer wears Lotto.

MAXXply 01-13-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7114668)
Because it's Tennis magazine. Or more accurately these days, Tennis brochure.

+1
Tennis Magazine and World Tennis used to be my preferred bathroom reads back in the day. Whenever I felt a big movement on the way I would grab the annual Racket Buyers Guide issue for an engrossing read (TMI ? :-) )

Nowadays, the flimsy leaflet / pamphlet that is Tennis magazine contains barely enough pages to wipe my bottom.

sureshs 01-14-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorBackhand (Post 7116452)
Federer and Roddick both speak english. Can you confuse them?:-?

But I have sometimes gotten confused between Roddick and Isner, as they both speak English.

sureshs 01-14-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7117949)
You forgot that one is one of the tallest players on tour while the other is one of the shortest. That must have really confused the editors.

BTW, I've never seen Del Potro wear a green shirt with black shorts. Besides, they should know that Del Potro wears Nike while Ferrer wears Lotto.

The height difference is not obvious in the photo.

Search DP images on google. You will find green + black.

corners 01-14-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7114234)
How could they possibly have made such an obvious mistake like that?

Because they only have four people still working at the magazine. Tennis Magazine is but smoke and mirrors.
Quote:

How did it get past the editors? It's like they don't even follow pro tennis or something.
Because they only have one full-time editor.
Quote:

Pretty shameful of a magazine specifically devoted to tennis.
You're right. You should call Chris Evert and complain.

McLovin 01-14-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7115520)
And they want me to renew my subscription.

You actually subscribe to Tennis Magazine? I've never paid for it as its part of my USTA membership.

BreakPoint 01-15-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7118868)
The height difference is not obvious in the photo.

You only have to look at the size of the racquet in their hand relative to the size of their body to easily see how tall (or short) they are.

bluetrain4 01-15-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7116458)
A guy I know who works for Esquire thinks the error was probably not made by the Tennis Magazine staff. Art is often put on a separate file and designated for a particular location in the magazine. He suspects the error was made by the printers.

Still. The printer can print a small batch for review by an editor, to see if the actual physical magazine is correct.

sureshs 01-15-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7122715)
You only have to look at the size of the racquet in their hand relative to the size of their body to easily see how tall (or short) they are.

Not everyone is as detailed as you, BP :-)