Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   1 teenager in Mens Aussie Open Draw (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450695)

ac10splyr 01-12-2013 11:54 AM

1 teenager in Mens Aussie Open Draw

Only 1 teen in main draw. ATP is turning into the NFL in the fact that it is too physical and mature to make it young, its good to see. The times are changing!!

rainingaces 01-12-2013 12:01 PM

Its been like this for years. Luke saville must be the one.

ac10splyr 01-12-2013 12:05 PM

no, each year is getting worse, last year there were 3 in top 100, goffin, harrison, raonic....its just progressively getting tougher

ac10splyr 01-12-2013 12:05 PM

and yes it is luke

chalkflewup 01-12-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac10splyr (Post 7115126)
no, each year is getting worse, last year there were 3 in top 100, goffin, harrison, raonic....its just progressively getting tougher

Is it getting worse or is it getting better? I think it's getting better.

Number1Coach 01-12-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 7115156)
Is it getting worse or is it getting better? I think it's getting better.

Chalk do you think it because we do not focus on serious weight training early with our teens to strengthen them and bring them up to speed , this question is open to all would love to hear everyones thoughts .

coaching32yrs 01-12-2013 03:30 PM

The strength, flexibility, stamina, and athleticism in the men's game has gone through the roof in the last 25 years.
I believe that's the main reason teenage boys can't compete with the top pros. They don't reach physical maturity until their mid 20's.

Bash and Crash 01-12-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7115346)
Chalk do you think it because we do not focus on serious weight training early with our teens to strengthen them and bring them up to speed , this question is open to all would love to hear everyones thoughts .

I'm sure TCF will have better insight, but I don't think weight training 13-15 will really get that much more ready, but it will help. There will always be some freak of natures, but getting the body and mind ready for the tour is just so hard to do by age 18-19. I'm not talking futures, but ATP main draw,top 150. We have some like Tomic who has the build, but not the mindset yet. With so many talented players in peak condition between the ages of 20-27, a 17-18 year old has to have some amazing gifts.

andfor 01-12-2013 04:02 PM

According to Brad Gilbert the highest ATP ranked teenager is Jeri Vesley 19 yr old ranked 264.

Alohajrtennis 01-12-2013 09:39 PM

What we need is to accept this as the new reality and have a "minor leagues", i.e futures/challengers system, other than college, that allows these players to mature without having to be independently wealthy. All of the angst going on right now in the junior competition system is partly a factor of the fact that we expect to much from it - we are living in the past if we think are top juniors are going to seamlessly move into the ATP top 150 or even top 250. It's not a weigh training issue.

andfor 01-13-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 7115910)
What we need is to accept this as the new reality and have a "minor leagues", i.e futures/challengers system, other than college, that allows these players to mature without having to be independently wealthy. All of the angst going on right now in the junior competition system is partly a factor of the fact that we expect to much from it - we are living in the past if we think are top juniors are going to seamlessly move into the ATP top 150 or even top 250. It's not a weigh training issue.

Totally spot on.

The ATP, WTA and ITF better take a close look at their minor league system and fix it. If they want players trying to develop and stay in their pipeline players to feed the tour, they better address the prize money situation at those levels. If they expect to have Challenger level tournaments always be self-sustaining through tickets sales, they are gonna have a hard lesson coming. Athletes will go where they think they can make it and if the money just ain't their in the minor league system athletes will pick another game.

The game has changed. It takes time to mature and move up the ranks now. A big part of the maturation is mental development along with the physical.

Will and occasional teenager break through from time to time, sure. But busting straight to the top will remain the exception not the norm. Prime example in the top 5 is Ferrer. Took him years before he was the solid top 5 player he's become and at much, much lower ranks.

chalkflewup 01-13-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 7115910)
All of the angst going on right now in the junior competition system is partly a factor of the fact that we expect to much from it - we are living in the past if we think are top juniors are going to seamlessly move into the ATP top 150 or even top 250. It's not a weigh training issue.

Aloha... Great insight. Somebody finally said it! And I believe the same logic applies to college expectations.

coaching32yrs 01-13-2013 04:47 AM

Andfor: This idea has been floated on the Board before and it is exactly right. The USTA should take 3 million away from HP and fund a series of 25 tournaments for young Americans (with a few spots for non Americans) with $100,000 of prize money each.

Anyone4tennis? 01-13-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7116219)
Andfor: This idea has been floated on the Board before and it is exactly right. The USTA should take 3 million away from HP and fund a series of 25 tournaments for young Americans (with a few spots for non Americans) with $100,000 of prize money each.

I think this is a fantastic idea provided that the NCAA changes its rules to allow young athletes to compete for pay without losing amateur status and eligibility for intercollegiate competition.

andfor 01-13-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyone4tennis? (Post 7116411)
I think this is a fantastic idea provided that the NCAA changes its rules to allow young athletes to compete for pay without losing amateur status and eligibility for intercollegiate competition.

What is it? College players can take up to $10K per yr. in prize money?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7116219)

Acknowledged. All I'm saying is if the governing bodies don't step in and take proactive measures to support Futures and Challengers it's going to hurt the sport long-term. Look at all the Challegers that have gone away this year. For the ATP/WTA/ITF to expect Challengers to fund themselves and run at a profit with ticket sales is a joke. Most of these Futures and Challengers have to find a sponsor who loves tennis and has extra money to fund a tennis tournament. The value back to the sponsor in exposure is low. Sponsors usually move on from their support after a few years.

Anyone4tennis? 01-13-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7116474)
What is it? College players can take up to $10K per yr. in prize money?

Yes, you are absolutely correct, but, if the best athletes in the US are to be attracted to the sport, I wonder if a $10,000 per year limit is really enough to attract them, given the prohibitive costs and risks of developing a talented tennis player. In tennis, the prize money is collected only if the player wins. The great appeal of team sports are the collective bargaining agreements that guarantee that players are paid a minimum salary regardless of how well they perform at the game and even when they are injured and can't play. An injury to a young tennis player or a fledgling pro can be costly if they don't recover quickly. In the world of tennis, the hard and cold rule is "No play, no pay."

NCAA Rules and Regulations

12.1.2.4.2 Exception for Prize Money Prior to Full-Time Collegiate Enrollment—Tennis.

In tennis, prior to full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may accept up to $10,000 per calendar year
in prize money based on his or her place finish or performance in open athletics events (events that are not
invitation only). Such prize money may be provided only by the sponsor of an open event in which the
individual participates. Once the individual has reached the $10,000 limit in a particular year, he or she
may receive additional prize money on a per-event basis, provided such prize money does not exceed the
individual’s actual and necessary expenses for participation in the event. The calculation of actual and necessary expenses shall not include the expenses or fees of anyone other than the individual (e.g., coach’s fees or
expenses, parent’s expenses). (Adopted: 4/26/12)

Anyone4tennis? 01-13-2013 08:29 AM

CORRECTION: In the world of tennis, the hard and cold rule is "No play AND win, no Pay."

Anyone4tennis? 01-13-2013 08:48 AM

After reading the NCAA rule more carefully, I see that only pre-college tennis athletes can collect up to $10,000 per year. It looks like young tennis players cannot collect any prize money once enrolled in college full-time.

I apologize for the multiple postings. Can anyone please explain how to edit a post?

jgmellor 01-13-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyone4tennis? (Post 7116595)
I apologize for the multiple postings. Can anyone please explain how to edit a post?

I think you need a minimum of 50 posts before you can edit.

Alohajrtennis 01-13-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyone4tennis? (Post 7116595)
After reading the NCAA rule more carefully, I see that only pre-college tennis athletes can collect up to $10,000 per year. It looks like young tennis players cannot collect any prize money once enrolled in college full-time.

I believe once they are in college they can collect prize money up to the amount of there expenses only. See post on yesterday's Zoo tennis re Nicole Gibbs trip to Australia.