Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Come on, let's go! Or not. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450715)

Cindysphinx 01-12-2013 05:13 PM

Come on, let's go! Or not.
 
I was playing social mixed with a singles player guy I didn't know well. This was our conversation as I stepped up to serve.

Partner: "I think we need to mix it up. Here's the plan. If I'm not going to poach, I will say, 'Come on, come on!' If I'm going to poach, I will say, 'Come on, let's go!' So before you serve listen for me to say 'Let's go!'"

Cindy: "Um . . . So if you say 'Let's go!', that means you are poaching, so I'll serve and cross behind you."

Partner: "No. If I say 'Let's go!', that means I'm going to poach, but if I don't think I can reach the ball then I won't poach so you don't have to cross."

I take up my normal position at the baseline and start bouncing the ball. I hear a chorus of "Come on, come on, come on!!" I look up and see my partner standing on the service line. I serve, returner puts the ball into partner's body, love 15.

I get ready to serve and I hear chants of "Come on, come on, let's go, come on." Partner is standing on the service line, shaded toward the alley. Wow, how is he going to poach from way over there? Should I stay back or come in? Where should I serve in this bizarre situation? DF. Love 30.

Next point, I hear a bunch of noise and can't wrap my brain around it. Did he say "Let's go," should I ask him to repeat the chanting? Screw it, I just serve and stand there. He didn't poach, so it must have been a "Come on" and not a "Let's go!" We lost the point, love 40.

OK, gotta get serious now. I get ready to serve and I hear "Let's go, let's go, come on!" Partner is standing on service line, oy. I serve, he takes off to cross, returner hits into his vacant alley, which I didn't cover. Game to receivers.

There's gotta be a better way! :)

andfor 01-12-2013 05:23 PM

Uhhh was this a prank and you fell for it? Was there a hidden camera? Is this a prank on me being the first to respond? How are so many of your ventures on the tennis courts soap operas? Amazing.

Here' how the pros signal. Read carefully. The net-man holding his hand behind his back either has an open hand (poach) or closed hand (stay). The server looks at the signal, says yes or no. Then serves. Sometimes the pros even discuss what they will do between points by whispering their plan to poach, fake or stay. Very complicated I know. Let me know if I need to repeat it.

With all the lessons you've paid for no pro has every taught you poaching signals? If your answer is no, I'd sue for my money back.

tennis tom 01-12-2013 05:47 PM

Where did you pick this guy up, at the supermarket produce dept?

Cindysphinx 01-12-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7115454)
Uhhh was this a prank and you fell for it? Was there a hidden camera? Is this a prank on me being the first to respond? How are so many of your ventures on the tennis courts soap operas? Amazing.

Here' how the pros signal. Read carefully. The net-man holding his hand behind his back either has an open hand (poach) or closed hand (stay). The server looks at the signal, says yes or no. Then serves. Sometimes the pros even discuss what they will do between points by whispering their plan to poach, fake or stay. Very complicated I know. Let me know if I need to repeat it.

With all the lessons you've paid for no pro has every taught you poaching signals? If your answer is no, I'd sue for my money back.

Oh, dear. I wasn't clear.

*I* know how to poach and how to signal. My partner, bless his adorable little heart, had no clue.

Social matches should be Squabble-Free Zones, so I just did what he wanted.

Bergboy123 01-12-2013 06:41 PM

Should have said ok, but in addition you would have a system of agreeing with it or not. Instead of "yeah" or "no," you would say "Come on, Vamos!" (in agreement,) or "Come on, you cannot be serious!" (in disagrement)

sureshs 01-12-2013 07:24 PM

Guys who take social mixed dubs seriously bother me..........

NLBwell 01-12-2013 09:56 PM

Yeah, I agree with you sureshs.

OrangePower 01-12-2013 11:20 PM

Sheesh. You'd think a male singles player would know better than attempt to play mixed.

Tennisguy3000 01-13-2013 12:32 AM

Haha awesome... at least he tried. I hate when I get the deer in the headlights look when I am in a mixed social & tell them I am going to poach. I can almost see what they are thinking in their head (Your going to poach me eggs now?) :cry:

goran_ace 01-13-2013 12:33 AM

I think you should have told him after the first time you were confused that you don't like that system and either go back to hand signals or even talk it out between points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7115430)
Partner: "No. If I say 'Let's go!', that means I'm going to poach, but if I don't think I can reach the ball then I won't poach so you don't have to cross."

This is not a great idea. On a called poach the net man commits to going and your assignment is to cross. Your read should be on your opponents, not on your own teammate. This is a meaningless call. He has first priority on a 'reachable' return across the middle regardless of the call.

corbind 01-13-2013 01:09 AM

I don't even know how to respond. I've been laughing visualizing it all. That singles player is, er, too serious. Mixed is not for keeps particularly when you two just met. Can't figure out why he felt you needed signals. Like you can't see when he is running toward your half of the court and you would not just adjust. :oops: Little did he know you're a good doubles player.

andfor 01-13-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7115517)
Oh, dear. I wasn't clear.

*I* know how to poach and how to signal. My partner, bless his adorable little heart, had no clue.

Social matches should be Squabble-Free Zones, so I just did what he wanted.

You could have simply taught him. It's a 20 second conversation. Really would not have been that hard to have the brief, this is how the pros teach poaching talk, and show him the hand signals. If he said no and still wanted to call audibles, I would simply have said no we can play it straight up no signals.

Social matches should also be Dumb-*** Free Zones.

dizzlmcwizzl 01-13-2013 04:20 AM

I had a remotely similar story ... I was playing round robin doubles at the club ... Sets to 4 and then you switch partners with another court.

Anywho, this odd little guy is going to be my partner. When he comes up to me and we have the following discussion:

Him: High my name is Bob, but everyone calls me ninja
Me: My name is Dizzl, and I will not be calling you ninja, Bob
HIm: Um, Ok but if you want me to poach just say "lets go ninja" and I will know you want me to be sneaky up there.
Me: I guess you will not be poaching then, Bob.

Cindysphinx 01-13-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7116140)
I had a remotely similar story ... I was playing round robin doubles at the club ... Sets to 4 and then you switch partners with another court.

Anywho, this odd little guy is going to be my partner. When he comes up to me and we have the following discussion:

Him: High my name is Bob, but everyone calls me ninja
Me: My name is Dizzl, and I will not be calling you ninja, Bob
HIm: Um, Ok but if you want me to poach just say "lets go ninja" and I will know you want me to be sneaky up there.
Me: I guess you will not be poaching then, Bob.

AHAHAH!! Maybe we should all adopt poaching nicknames. I think I will tell my next partner that if she wants me to poach, she is to toss the ball and yell, "Who'sYourDaddy!"

andfor 01-13-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7116409)
AHAHAH!! Maybe we should all adopt poaching nicknames. I think I will tell my next partner that if she wants me to poach, she is to toss the ball and yell, "Who'sYourDaddy!"

Or you could tell him next time you really prefer smoke signals but forgot your kindling and matches. Ha Ha

I do enjoy your stories Cindy. Some how I think you may have enough material for a book.

Mongolmike 01-13-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7116140)
I had a remotely similar story ... I was playing round robin doubles at the club ... Sets to 4 and then you switch partners with another court.

Anywho, this odd little guy is going to be my partner. When he comes up to me and we have the following discussion:

Him: High my name is Bob, but everyone calls me ninja
Me: My name is Dizzl, and I will not be calling you ninja, Bob
HIm: Um, Ok but if you want me to poach just say "lets go ninja" and I will know you want me to be sneaky up there.
Me: I guess you will not be poaching then, Bob.

lol... that was funny... love the last line.

When I play with new partners, I don't even talk about signals... I just say that IF they are gonna poach- then do it. Go ahead and be aggressive if you want and go for it and when I see you cross the center line then know I am switching behind you. Just don't fake me out and cross the center, then run back to your original spot, cuz I'll probably be right behind you. Seems to work pretty well for simple matches with new partners.

For tourneys or league if I play dubs, as server I usually communicate with my partner when I am gonna serve wide on the deuce side with my first serve, since it can take the returner 1 or 2 steps outside the line and their best return is down the line behind my partner... so my partner needs to play wider than norm.

As an aside, I never call people I really don't know by their nickname... if I've known then a long time by a nickname or was part of the group that gave them the nickname... ok... otherwise, I ain't calling you "Budman", "Cheese", "Shark" or any other idiotic name you've probably given yourself. How does the line go... "Hi, my name is Mike, but my friends call me Bob. You can call me Mike."

aurelius 01-13-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7116140)

Him: High my name is Bob, but everyone calls me ninja
Me: My name is Dizzl, and I will not be calling you ninja, Bob
HIm: Um, Ok but if you want me to poach just say "lets go ninja" and I will know you want me to be sneaky up there.
Me: I guess you will not be poaching then, Bob.

Your name is Dizzl? Fo' schnizzle? That must be a nickname, which means just call the odd little guy ninja. At least that's an actual word/name.

slowfox 01-13-2013 06:18 PM

Funny stories. Wouldn't a clever opposing team figure out your verbals at some point? They can't see hand signals.

dizzlmcwizzl 01-14-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aurelius (Post 7117519)
Your name is Dizzl? Fo' schnizzle? That must be a nickname, which means just call the odd little guy ninja. At least that's an actual word/name.

I did not use the name DIzzl ... I just dont want to tell you what my name is.

dizzlmcwizzl 01-14-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7117554)
Funny stories. Wouldn't a clever opposing team figure out your verbals at some point? They can't see hand signals.

One time I had a partner that wanted me to use a word that started with W every time I was going to serve out wide.

So I would have to say randomly say things like "whats the score", "Where is the third ball", and "Wisconsin football sux".


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse