Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Just starting (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450762)

Lavi 01-13-2013 07:33 AM

Just starting

So I'm planning on entering USTA tournaments this year for the first time. Can I get advice on what to expect or anything that might help me out since I'm new at this?

dizzlmcwizzl 01-13-2013 07:41 AM

Opens, Age group tourney or NTRP level stuff?

In my experience: Which is only 2-3 tournies per year

Expect wide ranges in ability ... Lots of 1st round blowouts (hopefully you are the blower and not the blowee, or do I have that backwards?)

Some tourneys are exceptionally well run ... some are run exceptionally poorly ... I have rarely found many in the middle between those two extremes. Remember which is which for next year.

dizzlmcwizzl 01-13-2013 07:42 AM

Also, the USTA website will be of little to no use in finding tourneys for adults.

Lavi 01-13-2013 09:36 AM

Honestly I just wantnto work my way to becoming a pro. I thought playing these tournaments would get me there. Am I wrong?

gmatheis 01-13-2013 11:38 AM

I smell a troll :)

Lavi 01-16-2013 06:08 PM

I hope I'm taking the right approach at becoming a pro. I could use more advice.

LeeD 01-16-2013 06:58 PM

How good are you now?
Post a vid.
Hard to give advice without knowing your skill level, physical size, and movement traits.
For all we know, you could be a computer geek who just started playing tennis, and is asking how to become a pro.

slowfox 01-16-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7116509)
Also, the USTA website will be of little to no use in finding tourneys for adults.

Can you suggest some alternative or better way to find these tournaments? I'm looking to play a few this year, and all I know is the USTA. Help. Thanks.

beernutz 01-16-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavi (Post 7127213)
I hope I'm taking the right approach at becoming a pro. I could use more advice.

Good plan because I know if I wanted to become a professional athlete I would first go ask a bunch of recreational hackers how I would go about it.

Fuji 01-16-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7127510)
Good plan because I know if I wanted to become a professional athlete I would first go ask a bunch of recreational hackers how I would go about it.

Who else is there to ask, really? :razz:

-Fuji

tennis tom 01-16-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavi (Post 7127213)

Buy the biggest tennis bag you can find and buy twelve different rackets. They should each be a different brand and different grip sizes. Thorlo socks for sure to give you a solid foundation. A Sharpie for signing autographs. A couple of tall beers for emergency energy.

NLBwell 01-16-2013 08:49 PM

Also, some good food and bottle of tequila for after the match. This will help you find practice partners of all different abilities.

tennis tom 01-17-2013 03:51 AM

Well, since I sense you are serious about how you are going about this, hire an agent first, you want to get your financials taken care of right off so you can concentrate on your grips (racket not valises). IMG is good, that's where Steffi's dad learned how to handle her finances. Get a scholarship to Boletteri's and request Andre's bed to get his two-hander by osomsis. Next a trainer, Gil Reyes is available since Andre retired but if you're more into chicks Gillian Michaels is bilt. A sports shrink is a must, this game is all in the head, Allen Fox is between books, pull him off the golf course. You're gonna' need a good physio to tape you up right, doc Garrick is good with loose joints. A nutritionist is a must--you are what you eat--soul food is the best for solid nutrition. Sports drinks for hot days, de-fizzed coke with boiled peanuts goes right into the blood stream. Oh, and don't forget the 12 passenger Citation, there's a lot of travel in the pros, coach sucks. Skip the tournament shuttle van, they're to slow, Bugatti Veyron to get you there on time, hire Tanner Foust to chauffeur, he's a good street driver. Good luck, I'm rootin' for ya', it's all about the details, it's the details that kill ya'.

G'luck,
tt/ LSMFT

tennis tom 01-17-2013 03:57 AM

Well, since I sense you are serious about how you are going about this, hire an agent first, you want to get your financials taken care of right off so you can concentrate on your grips (racket not valises). IMG is good, that's who Steffi's dad learned how to handle her finances. Get a scholarship to Boletteri's and request Andre's bed to get his two-hander by osomsis. Next a trainer, Gil Reyes is available since Andre retired but if you're more into chicks Gillian Michaels is bilt. A sports shrink is a must, this game is all in the head, Allen Fox is between books, pull him off the golf course. You're gonna' need a good physio to tape you up right, doc Garrick is good with loose joints. A nutritionist is a must--you are what you eat--soul food is the best for solid nutrition, Paula Deen is yummy, her deep fried power chicken bars are a must to keep in your bag when you're bonking in five setter GS finals--too bad Twinkies bit the dust. Sports drinks for hot days, de-fizzed coke with boiled peanuts goes right into the blood stream. Oh, and don't forget the 12 passenger Citation, there's a lot of travel in the pros, coach sucks. Skip the tournament shuttle van, they're to slow, Bugatti Veyron to get you there on time, hire Tanner Foust to chauffeur, he's a good street driver. Good luck, I'm rootin' for ya', it's all about the details, it's the details that kill ya'.

G'luck,
tt/ LSMFT

NTexas 01-17-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavi (Post 7116679)
Honestly I just wantnto work my way to becoming a pro. I thought playing these tournaments would get me there. Am I wrong?

Exact way I became a pro, played 2 tournaments and went on the ATP tour.

Fuji 01-17-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTexas (Post 7129012)
Exact way I became a pro, played 2 tournaments and went on the ATP tour.

2.5 mixed doubles champ? :razz:

-Fuji

Lavi 01-18-2013 04:13 PM

I am very serious about this so thanks for the help. I appreciate it :)

IA-SteveB 01-22-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavi (Post 7133338)
I am very serious about this so thanks for the help. I appreciate it :)

Do you really? You were asked questions and didn't address any of them. :) Good luck on your quest because your cart is about 45 miles ahead of the horse.

Lavi 01-22-2013 08:51 PM

Well I'm definitely not some computer geek. My height is 5'4, and I am good, but can't honestly say I know my skill level. All I want to know are the steps to becoming a pro. Like do I need to play certain tournaments etc. I train very hard and love this sport. I don't have anyone to ask about this, hence why I'm on here. So yes I'm determined to do this.

Fuji 01-22-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavi (Post 7150795)
Well I'm definitely not some computer geek. My height is 5'4, and I am good, but can't honestly say I know my skill level. All I want to know are the steps to becoming a pro. Like do I need to play certain tournaments etc. I train very hard and love this sport. I don't have anyone to ask about this, hence why I'm on here. So yes I'm determined to do this.

Haha I admire your enthusiasm!

Let's put it this way: if you are over the age of 16, and want to go pro, enter an open level tournament. If you don't win with commanding scores, know that there is very little chance that you will be going pro in the near future. Opens are the key to success in high level tennis. They give you points that you need to be considered for ITF events such as Futures.

Ive watched some former future and challenger level players, and the difference between them and myself is so massive it's not even funny haha! I have the game to push decent 5.0 players, and I'm not even close to their level.

Good luck! If you have specific questions feel free to email me! :)

-Fuji