Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Myself serving for a game (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450779)

radioavenger 01-13-2013 11:56 AM

Myself serving for a game

An amateur effort with Windows movie maker to upload a serving game of mine. I have never taken any lessons just Youtube studying and this forum :)
I began playing more seriously last June when I joined a local club (clay courts) and I try to play 3-4 times a week although during the winter rain or wind make it impossible.
The video is from today morning at another synthetic carpet with quartz court. Any suggestions are welcome although I do not strive to hit 200 kph serves or winners and I know I should take back the raquet more during the backhand but this particular opponent is a pusher and I try to play more relaxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r0bx...ature=youtu.be

pvaudio 01-13-2013 12:54 PM

Ball toss further in front to start.

sundaypunch 01-13-2013 02:02 PM

I only looked at the first 30-sec's, but you jump backward as you hit the ball. You will want to get your momentum moving into the court. The toss further in front will help as PV mentioned.

radioavenger 01-13-2013 02:13 PM

Yes I have noticed that, too... many times I don't toss the ball in front. Must keep it in mind.

t135 01-13-2013 08:23 PM

Not looking that bad. Quick improvement would be to toss ball so that you are hitting inside the court and finishing inside..going forward. Like the other guys said.

The timing of your shoulders, weight transfer and toss are a little off too. But finishing/hitting inside the court is a great place to start.

WildVolley 01-14-2013 02:24 PM

I have a couple of criticisms of your serve.

First, you have the unfortunate straight arm problem in your windup that Nadal occasionally has. Because you straighten out your hitting arm behind you, you have to wait for it to bend into a decent trophy position to complete your swing. Watch all the best pros, they have at least a 90 degree bend in the hitting arm at the trophy position.

Second, you are a little stiff from the trophy position on. It isn't terrible, and you seem to have decent hip rotation, I just think if you could get it going a little forward and up it would give you more power.

Good luck and keep practicing.

LeeD 01-14-2013 02:44 PM

Good luck and keep practicing...
Look at vids of the LeytonHewitt or JuanCarlosFerrero serves. Those are the basic, no hitch serves for tennis. Copy them.

Calor1 01-15-2013 11:13 AM

I can't be 100% sure but based on this vid it seems like there is something wrong with your grip.
And like the others said, toss too far behind you.

radioavenger 01-15-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 7120164)
I have a couple of criticisms of your serve.

First, you have the unfortunate straight arm problem in your windup that Nadal occasionally has. Because you straighten out your hitting arm behind you, you have to wait for it to bend into a decent trophy position to complete your swing. Watch all the best pros, they have at least a 90 degree bend in the hitting arm at the trophy position.

Second, you are a little stiff from the trophy position on. It isn't terrible, and you seem to have decent hip rotation, I just think if you could get it going a little forward and up it would give you more power.

Good luck and keep practicing.

The stiffness is something I have mainly because I am 40 years old and only recently started tennis not having any other sporting activity until now I believe. Thanks for your remarks, will most certainly take them into consideration!

radioavenger 01-15-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7120215)
Good luck and keep practicing...
Look at vids of the LeytonHewitt or JuanCarlosFerrero serves. Those are the basic, no hitch serves for tennis. Copy them.

yes, good serving examples!

radioavenger 01-15-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calor1 (Post 7122784)
I can't be 100% sure but based on this vid it seems like there is something wrong with your grip.
And like the others said, toss too far behind you.

well I use continental for serves, semi-western forehands & extreme eastern backhand. I should bend my knees more on all the moves but as I mentioned earlier I wasn't athletic at all until I picked up tennis plus I have developed aching knees (difficulty to climb stairs, squatting etc).