Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Getting racquet repainted? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450786)

ClipnLines 01-13-2013 02:02 PM

Getting racquet repainted?

Anyone know a place I can send a couple racquets to be painted black?

I would do it myself but don't have access to an area I can spray paint (live in an apartment). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andyroo10567 01-13-2013 02:04 PM

Auto shops do them but the pricing varies depending on which one you go to.

ClipnLines 01-13-2013 02:08 PM

I thought of trying an auto shop but figured they would look at me like I was crazy.

Andyroo10567 01-13-2013 02:10 PM

As long as you have your hand up high with cash in your hand, they shouldn't mind. hehehe. Wouldn't hurt to call in or stop by.

ClipnLines 01-13-2013 02:14 PM

True true, money talks. Suprized there isn't a place that does it. I mean there are many many places that refinish and repaint golf clubs. Figured there would be at least one place that would specialize in tennis racquets.

Andyroo10567 01-13-2013 02:28 PM

Hopefully everything works out fine when they do the job. ( assuming they do it of course ) . Or you can ask them to make it identical to a racquet PJ that you like. Might bump up the cost a bit.

Chotobaka 01-13-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClipnLines (Post 7117124)
True true, money talks. Suprized there isn't a place that does it. I mean there are many many places that refinish and repaint golf clubs. Figured there would be at least one place that would specialize in tennis racquets.

Ditto. I am also a little surprised someone hasn't come up with a reasonably professional business (or side business) specializing in racquet painting/customization and restoration. The later part can be a challenge with NOS grommet/bumper sets sometimes being both difficult and expensive to source but, heck, people paint lots of obscure things like auto racing/motorcycle helmets, racing bicycles, skateboards, etc. -- so why not tennis racquets?

vetinari 01-13-2013 05:09 PM

In addition to or perhaps instead of auto body shops I would check out bike shops. If they paint frames there they will be more used to working with carbon fiber than auto shop.

vetinari 01-13-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7117462)
Ditto. I am also a little surprised someone hasn't come up with a reasonably professional business (or side business) specializing in racquet painting/customization and restoration. The later part can be a challenge with NOS grommet/bumper sets sometimes being both difficult and expensive to source but, heck, people paint lots of obscure things like auto racing/motorcycle helmets, racing bicycles, skateboards, etc. -- so why not tennis racquets?

Probably because it's such a pain to do well vs the cost of the original item. Tennis racquets are relatively cheap (compared to motorcycles or guitars) and much more complex than helmets or skateboards.

Now if there was a way to get bare carbon frames, totally different equation.