Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Racquet short reviews: 99s, blade 18x20, Speed G Pro/MP (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450788)

rafafan20 01-13-2013 02:39 PM

New Racquet short reviews: 99s, blade 18x20, Speed G Pro/MP

I'll start with my least favorite to my favorite. All racquets were strung w/ Gamma TNT at 55

4. Blade 18x20

I don't think this was a bad racquet it just wasn't for me. The biggest positive was the serve. I hit more aces with this racquet than I have in a while. Could put serves on the T or out side on a dime, it was incredible. The biggest negative was defensive shots from the baseline. I just wasn't getting enough net clearance when my opponent played balls deep and the racquet just didn't have enough oomph. I also did not like the super-muted feel. I think generally I like racquets with a little more power. I found the control and stability nice at the net but I just couldn't control points like normal from the baseline.

3. Speed Graphene MP

This racquet was simply not for me. I actually found it to be very low powered. It was a little too light for me and the weighting felt off. I liked it a ton at net, especially for an open 16x19 pattern but from the baseline I just wasn't liking the lack of mass and the more head-heavy balance. I also didn't find a lot of spin as I usually do with open pattern racquets and a lot of my balls were falling short in the court. Another racquet I liked for serving but similar to the Blade I couldn't control points at the baseline.

2. Steam 99S

This is quite a racquet. I loved pushing my opponent back to the edge of the court and then hitting a wicked angle on the approach shot. I also was hitting some bomb flat serves with this racquet. Defensive shots were awesome as the depth got me right back into points and on the offensive. It also turned my 1-handed backhand into a weapon as I was hitting crazy cross-court angles and a very heavy ball. Sometimes I got too aggressive with this racquet and would hit it long, which worried me. It is a definitely a unique racquet and it would definitely suit a counter-puncher top spin type as the racquet creates such a heavy ball. A very nice offering from wilson. As with the blade, not crazy about the amplifeel.

1. Head Speed G Pro

This racquet blew me away. The combination of control and spin is unmatched in any racquet I've ever used. Every short ball my opponent hit I could punish with driving topspin approach shots. Slices were absolutely wicked with this stick and threw my opponent off. It is also THE most stable racquet I've ever used. Facing circa 110 MPH serves I could swing at them and the racquet came right through. Control on the serve was a beautiful thing as well. A++++ and will be my new racquet hands down.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 02:42 PM

A side note: if I was to purchase the Steam 99s I would 100% use a poly, I will be going with the Head Speed Pro though.

Dgdavid 01-13-2013 03:26 PM

3 out of those 4 are on my desirable list too. Have you tried the new Vcore Xi 98 yet? Interested in your opinion on that too.

PED 01-13-2013 03:28 PM

Nice writeup.

How is the swing weight on the steam s? I'm a little concerned with the 335ish number that tw put on the site. It may be that's once the stick is only 325ish static weight that the sw won't be a factor.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PED (Post 7117254)
Nice writeup.

How is the swing weight on the steam s? I'm a little concerned with the 335ish number that tw put on the site. It may be that's once the stick is only 325ish static weight that the sw won't be a factor.

The stick I had felt a little lighter than the SW that was listed. I found the weight to be very comfortable and I generally don't like heavy racquets (i.e. wilson 6.1 95 or volkl organix 10). My hitting partner also found it to be very manageable weight wise.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 7117248)
3 out of those 4 are on my desirable list too. Have you tried the new Vcore Xi 98 yet? Interested in your opinion on that too.

I am a huge fan of the ezone xi 98 I almost switched to it last year. I didn't get to try the new one because my local store doesn't carry Yonex but I would like to. I will be switching to the Head Speed G Pro but let me know if you get to hit the new xi 98.

mrmo1115 01-13-2013 03:43 PM

Hey rafafan, I also enjoyed playing with the Speed Pro. Just wanted to ask if you found the stick to be stiff at all. I played with it and am finding some pain in my lower forearm. It might have been the full poly since I use half gut in my normal string set up.

PED 01-13-2013 03:43 PM

Thanks for the answer, I see in our sig that you used the 320, that's a sweet stick, I always thought it played like a lighter version of the six one Wilson's which I always found to be about 12g too heavy for me.

NLBwell 01-13-2013 03:48 PM

Thanks for the revews. It seems that most all of the reviews of all the Head Speed models have been like your review of the Graphene Speed MP. Something just was off about it. So you feel like Head has finally put together a Speed racket that has it all together with the new Speed Pro?

rafafan20 01-13-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7117290)
Hey rafafan, I also enjoyed playing with the Speed Pro. Just wanted to ask if you found the stick to be stiff at all. I played with it and am finding some pain in my lower forearm. It might have been the full poly since I use half gut in my normal string set up.

It had a fairly soft multi in it. After playing because I liked it so much I stuck around on court and hit about 100 serves and I have no arm pain. I'd probably stick with a multi in the future. I generally don't get arm pain other than stiffest of racquets/polys.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7117299)
Thanks for the revews. It seems that most all of the reviews of all the Head Speed models have been like your review of the Graphene Speed MP. Something just was off about it. So you feel like Head has finally put together a Speed racket that has it all together with the new Speed Pro?

I really liked the speed pro honestly the stability, spin, feel and weight were all perfect for me. I would stay far away from the MP if you have a modern topspin baseline game, I would only even hint at recommending it for a pure serve and volleyer.

mrmo1115 01-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7117299)

I think so. I've tried many Head frames over the years since I departed Head (I used the FXP Prestige for over 4 years, the MG Prestige MP for about a year, Head Youtek Rad MP with lead, Head Youtek Prestige Pro, Head Youtek Prestige MP, etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7117312)
It had a fairly soft multi in it. After playing because I liked it so much I stuck around on court and hit about 100 serves and I have no arm pain. I'd probably stick with a multi in the future. I generally don't get arm pain other than stiffest of racquets/polys.

Yeah unfortunately my frame was strung with a black polyester.. not sure which but I'm going to guess the new Head Sonic Pro. It felt a bit too stiff. I think this frame definitely can be trouble for arms if its strung full poly. Other than the slight discomfort I found everything to be great as well.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PED (Post 7117293)
Thanks for the answer, I see in our sig that you used the 320, that's a sweet stick, I always thought it played like a lighter version of the six one Wilson's which I always found to be about 12g too heavy for me.

I love it but when one of my 2 frames cracked the racquet bug got hold of me again. The TF 320 kept it away for about a year though it is certainly a very nice racket.

neil1b 01-13-2013 04:25 PM

Most of the g racquets shipped from head with regular sonic pro. If it is black its probably sonic pro.......the sonic pro edge is anthracite.

parasailing 01-13-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7117315)
I really liked the speed pro honestly the stability, spin, feel and weight were all perfect for me. I would stay far away from the MP if you have a modern topspin baseline game, I would only even hint at recommending it for a pure serve and volleyer.

Have you hit with the old Head Youtek Speed Pro or a Pure Storm Tour GT and how does it compare? I didn't like the older Speed Pro but it seems like this new Speed Pro lowered the SW and static weight significantly and went with a 18x20 string pattern so this is totally a different racquet.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7117456)
Have you hit with the old Head Youtek Speed Pro or a Pure Storm Tour GT and how does it compare? I didn't like the older Speed Pro but it seems like this new Speed Pro lowered the SW and static weight significantly and went with a 18x20 string pattern so this is totally a different racquet.

Never hit with the old speed pro although one of my hitting partners currently plays with that and I'll ask him and let him try the demo Tues morning.

Only hit with a PSTGT briefly but a very different feel. More pingy/hollow feel to it vs. the more stable/lively feel of the speed pro. Speed pro lighter, much easier to swing through especially on the serve.

Vertiz 01-13-2013 04:49 PM

Do you think if you leaded the MP from 11oz to about the specs of the Pro that it would be better? Been using 18x20s all my life but looking to get a 16x19 for power/spin. Or do you think that the 18x20 has just as much if not more spin/power than any 16x19 racket. I was also thinking about the aeroprodrive or pure drive 2013s. I play d1 tennis at a university & hit a onnie just like you. Thanks

mrmo1115 01-13-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7117456)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7117466)
Never hit with the old speed pro although one of my hitting partners currently plays with that and I'll ask him and let him try the demo Tues morning.

Only hit with a PSTGT briefly but a very different feel. More pingy/hollow feel to it vs. the more stable/lively feel of the speed pro. Speed pro lighter, much easier to swing through especially on the serve.

I can concur with his comments. Lighter, easier to swing. Has that whippier as well. This Speed Pro is the upgrade to the Speed MP 315 18/20. It's just called the Pro and has no relation to the previous iterations of the Speed Pro. The polarization of the weight definitely is felt and it is more stable and solid than the previous IG version. And to Para, I think I will be moving on from the PSTGT to this frame. I just want to try it out in a string set up that I'm familiar with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertiz (Post 7117467)
Do you think if you leaded the MP from 11oz to about the specs of the Pro that it would be better? Been using 18x20s all my life but looking to get a 16x19 for power/spin. Or do you think that the 18x20 has just as much if not more spin/power than any 16x19 racket. I was also thinking about the aeroprodrive or pure drive 2013s. I play d1 tennis at a university & hit a onnie just like you. Thanks

I feel like the Pro still has some good spin potential even though its an 18/20. The power is definitely there with a thicker beam than the normal players frame. I've been an 18/20 user all my life but went to an 18/19 and most recently a 16/20.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil1b (Post 7117396)
Most of the g racquets shipped from head with regular sonic pro. If it is black its probably sonic pro.......the sonic pro edge is anthracite.

Ah thanks for the clarification. Not a fan of the string at all. Not very comfortable. In a hybrid it could work for me.

rafafan20 01-13-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7117474)
I can concur with his comments. Lighter, easier to swing. Has that whippier as well. This Speed Pro is the upgrade to the Speed MP 315 18/20. It's just called the Pro and has no relation to the previous iterations of the Speed Pro. The polarization of the weight definitely is felt and it is more stable and solid than the previous IG version.

I feel like the Pro still has some good spin potential even though its an 18/20. The power is definitely there with a thicker beam than the normal players frame. I've been an 18/20 user all my life but went to an 18/19 and most recently a 16/20.

Did you play with the MP? I really didn't like it, I tried to be gentle in the review... curious to see the TW review

Vertiz 01-13-2013 04:59 PM

Thx for the reply mrmo. Have you played w. thhe ig prestige MP ? How would you compare it to the speed pro?